can you remove the pressure plate assembly out through the bottom of the bellhousing

-

justme

Reaction score
can you remove the pressure plate assembly through the inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing with out removing the bell housing?

can you remove the pressure plate assembly through the inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing with out removing the bell housing?
On some you can. Depends on the size of the clutch. Transmission still has to come out.

It might fit, but I don't know why you would. Easy to remove the bell with the trans already off, like noted above.

Yes, did it all the time. Even with a 10.95 scalloped big block clutch behind the 273. Why pull the bell housing?

I've seen numerous women remove a bra with their shirt still on....
Why would you purposely leave an obstacle in the way? Pull the bell and make it easy on yourself.

I've seen numerous women remove a bra with their shirt still on....
Why would you purposely leave an obstacle in the way? Pull the bell and make it easy on yourself.
Some like mystery and seduction... or is that misery..

I used to do it all the time. 69RR, 383 stock factory bell and 11" clutch. 70 RR 440-6, 11" "fake" clutch (scalloped with 10 1/2" bolt pattern) and 71 340, factory aluminum bell, and 10 1/2" clutch.

Seems like it's making an otherwise easy job more difficult leaving the bellhousing on, but have at it.

I don't remember it being any trouble at all, Rob. Course, I wasn't 73 then................

Well, its been awhile since I did it this way, but if you're not removing flywheel, leaving the B.H. on will mean you don't have to mess with starter and bolts/wiring. and the factory B.H. bolts sometime have clips that support a wiring harness. So if its just to replace clutch disc and/or pressure plate, why not? And if I remember correctly the pinch weld can get in the way on some E bodies. The B.H. is also a good place to put your jack, or jack-stand to support the rear of the engine. As they say "just sayin"

-
Back