Can't decide auto or manual?

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
I know I'm going to go with a 5.7 and then later on a stroker or 6.1 hemi. But I'm buildin the car for pro touring and was going to use a 545rfe auto so my wife could drive it. She's now said she won't drive the car as she is scared she'll break it or worse. LOL

So not I've been pondering a manual trans. I'd love a T56 but have to settle for a Keisler TKO or RS600 package since it's easier for me. Sourcing parts for the restoration is taxing enough.

So anyone have an opinion of the T56 and costs and such? How does it compair to a Keisler setup?

Riddler

Why no just get the tranny out of a new challenger (TKO6060)?

Manual, Manual, Manual. EVERY time I drive a classic car with a four or five speed it is WAY more fun than an automatic.

The 545 is a pig ie its f-ing HUGE, find some posts on transplanting that thing, unless you like fabrication it will be difficult to install, the same is true of the T-56, though a stick is way more fun and thus it may be worth the effort. :yawinkle:

I think the hot ticket, though not cheap is the new Passon Performance 5-speed. Fits where the A833 with no cutting or other mods of any kind and has a nice .70 fifth gear. Pricing is around $4200.00 (OUCH) but if you already have the an A833 setup, it may be cheaper than a T-56.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Go with the auto, know matter how much she say's she won't drive eventually she will want too.

I have nothing manual do it would all be swapped. I'm really liking the t56. The new challenger trans has some issues that I'm not sure have been figured out yet.

Riddler

An automatic is ok if you're building the car for your wife, but no sports car or muscle car is REALLY a sports car or muscle car unless it's a 4 or 5 or 6 speed!!!!

JMNSHO

FF

An automatic is ok if you're building the car for your wife, but no sports car or muscle car is REALLY a sports car or muscle car unless it's a 4 or 5 or 6 speed!!!!

JMNSHO

FF
Wow, so when my Duster starts sliding sideways when I shift into second gear with my auto ratchet shifter, I have to tell myself, "this really isn't a muscle car". It will be hard to remember but OK. oh yeah, just so I'm not high jacking. Go AUTO! I blow away manuals all day long. With respect! JMO!

Ya, I do think manuals are nice, they aren't the only way. The fastest cars in the world are automatic and you can still have just as much fun with an automatic. I have driven 1000hp Supra with 6 speed and then with th400, it was 4x easier to control with automatic and alot more tame when you wanted it to. Not to mention I can no longer drive a manual duo to severe nerve damage in my leg, so I guess my cars are not sports/muscle cars anymore...

In my opinion both are great.

Auto has been really good to me, the tires fry just fine ;D. On top of the fact you can manually shift them with alot less work, you get great consistency out of them while doing it.

Beware of people with a big opinion on a small subject. :finga:

Don't get me wrong, the manual is a great way of driving, and alot of fun. But to say it is the only way is wrong in my opinion.

Alot of cars have moved to the twin clutch electronic controlled automatic.

Nissan actually had a specially designed manual for their GTR and they actually found out that no real world drivers could shift it fast enough or reliable enough to equal the control and ability of the automatic. When the V-Spec was coming out they thought of putting the manual in it and it was voted no since the 0-60 in the 2012 Spec V would go from 2.9 to a slow 3.5. Not to mention the clutch was gonna cost over 10k, I would hate to be the first to miss a gear bad enough....

I love manuals, but automatics can be just as fun. I wish I could put the 5/6 speed manual in my car, but I just can't shift it like I used to, so I will go with a paddle shifted trans most likely.

Auto trans have definitely come a ways since the old days, though I'm still a fan of a stick shift. I'm not sure that it still applies with today's technology, but I always thought that a stick was supposed to have less driveline loss (15% manual vs 20% auto was always the rule of thumb I heard), so I lean toward a stick for the fun factor and potential power benefit. No doubt an auto is the better bracket racer, which I guess is the way that racing is going nowadays. I always thought that back in the day pretty much all the big drag cars had sticks and an auto was few and far between (though I didn't actually live it as I wasn't born yet, lol), hence the racier nature that a manual has in my heart at least. My family has pretty much nothing but manuals lately so I had a bit of a chuckle the other day when I got in an auto and slammed my foot on the brake (thinking it was the clutch) before I started it.

All the people that are promoting autos are auto people, all I gotta say is let em. In my mind there is no question as to which is in my cars. And your right I ain't Ronnie but I also don't care about drag racing!

As for your question I would look into the new Passon Performance 5-speed, it seems a lot easier then some of the other options.

The battle between auto and stick will go on forever, put what you like, but put at least a 5 speed!

I did the 5 spd auto cause my better half slips the clutch so much on my daily driver when she uses it (few and far inbetween), so the auto for the toy seemed like the logical and most econimical choice.

I've purchased a 6spd t56 viper spec manual. Wife says she has no interest in driving the car.

Anyone need a 545rfe auto?

Riddler

-
Back