Captainkirk's Duster project

-
"Gee, Cap"....(I can hear you sayin')....."Fall off the ends of the earth"?
Well, ummmm....in a manor of speaking...now that you ask...sorta.
There I was, sailing along with a stiff wind in face and in my sails, when I felt the wind start to falter, and my ship slow, and then....
Silence. Dead calm.
Perhaps it was the slight turning of the leaves, the shortening of daylight and the early long shadows; the soft, warm yellow sunlight low in the sky much too early in the evening and the brisk chill in the early morning hours. The restless stirring in my soul and the whispering mumbles telling me hunting season is near; time to dust off the gun and the bow.
Don't be disappointed, fair readers; I'm not. See, I knew this would happen. It always does. That's why I planned the assault that never was; because I could feel the progress of summer was about played out, hanging by a frayed thread. You resist it, fight it, deny it, then...accept it. That's a part of life here in the midwest. You rake your leaves, clear your gutters, tuck the motorcycles in for their long winter hibernation, like a family of bears nestled snug in their den, then hunker down for the chill of late fall and winter. Those of us not endowed with heated garages or workshops, that is!
But that's not all bad! Winter is a time for reflection; to sit with a glass of brandy by the fire and look at your progress via digital photos, shocking progress when compared to last year's photos; plot your next move, and perhaps even change or reverse course! A time for rekindling friendships on the FABO forum, spinning a yarn or two, and just plain reflecting. Winter is a cold, desolate place in my garage in January. A place I don't frequent too often.
We get used to it around here. And frankly, I could use a little relaxation; it was a hell of a summer! And I have an inkling next summer will be better yet!
So stick with me, if you've a mind to. I feel a spell of writing coming on...

Planning, you see, is a lot of fun. Moreso than actually WORKING on a project, truth be known! When planning, everything always goes right, nothing ever breaks, and objects painted with the mind's eye always match and always turn out perfect.
It's with this "perfect eye" I'm planning next spring's events.
Having removed all but a small section of the rust and having applied the rust converter, the first thing next spring will be to apply a "real" primer coat over the rust converter, then to purchase and install the subframe connectors I found on the Mancini Racing website. Now, it's been years since I've done any welding, and I don't have a welder, anyway. So this is a topic I'll have to tackle over the winter; where to get a welder, what kind to get (wire feed, etc) and the actual practicing I'll have to do before I cut loose arcing and sparking underneath The Duke. Methinks he'd be juuuust a tad pissed off with me if I made a mistake, however small. And you don't wanna piss off The Duke. And then there's the suspension-both front AND rear to contend with. Rusty parts that need to be scrubbed squeaky-clean and gussied up with bright, shiny paint. New front end bushings. Tires. Cleaning up the Rallye wheels and perhaps re-spraying them.....and this is just to get it back down on the ground again! Notice I haven't even approached the subject of my motor that sits in a million pieces!
Yes, I have planning to do....and it could even be fun!!!!:-D

Captian:
I have to agree, planning is alot of fun, it even allows you to if just for a moment pretend there is no budget and put together your dream car. Once you have that you can then say OK where is reality. In my buisness that's called Value Engineering.
My first local mopar meeting here in Austin I brought my 'plan' with me ,because I really wanted some pointers. lets say it wasnt recieved with enthusiasm. You see I have been planing this build for three years and the plans have mushroomed into two three inch binders with section dividers for each part of the build and a Technical section for each part.
While you have the winters, I've had more time than money sorta the same thing.
Enjoy the process
Andrew

Glad to hear from you again captain , i was just wondering about you the other day. Haven't had any progress on mine in a while due to lack of funds, but thats ok ill get it done someday!

Glad to hear from you again captain , i was just wondering about you the other day. Haven't had any progress on mine in a while due to lack of funds, but thats ok ill get it done someday!

It's always lack-of-something, isn't it? LOL:toothy10:

Yeah, I know, guys.....paint is a LONG way off yet. But no time like the present to mull it over!
I was mighty impressed with FlyBoy01's home-brewed paint booth; way more high-tech than I used, back in the day!! I just don't know if I want to go down that road again. All the mess, the prep, the overspray......I know; let's have a vote!!!
If you had your "d'ruthers", would you paint your project or take it to a pro??

If you had your "d'ruthers", would you paint your project or take it to a pro??

My vote - I'd do it myself. Of course if I had 5-8k that I could easily part with, I'd take it to a pro. Back to reality - it would have to be done by me . . . :sad8:

My vote - I'd do it myself. Of course if I had 5-8k that I could easily part with, I'd take it to a pro. Back to reality - it would have to be done by me . . . :sad8:

Spoken like a true "Average Joe"....a group which, of course includes me! Maybe if I win the lottery I'll have a pro shoot it. Other than that, I only know of one other person that could do the kind of job I need done for the cost I could afford......(and he's busy typing at the moment:cheers:)

Thanks! Same to you!
What's new?
Well, it's 20 degrees outside and there's a foot of snow. Won't likely be any more progress for a couple months. Unless I can get some work done on the motor; we'll see. But, thanks for asking!:-D

Not much new other than AMD has the picture of a full floor for my car on their site. Still not fit tested yet per another ABO member's reply to my "In search of full floor pan 73 Duster" thread. So it should be fit tested and marketable as they hoped, mid 09 some time. It's been friggin cold here too. That's why they call it winter, I guess?

Not much new other than AMD has the picture of a full floor for my car on their site. Still not fit tested yet per another ABO member's reply to my "In search of full floor pan 73 Duster" thread. So it should be fit tested and marketable as they hoped, mid 09 some time. It's been friggin cold here too. That's why they call it winter, I guess?

Winter, indeed!
Tonight is supposed to hit twenty below WITHOUT the wind chill.....I wouldn't go out to the garage for a fire extinguisher if my house was burning tonight!
So cold, my Dakota wouldn't even start today with a jump!
Winter? You can have it.

Hi Capn! Spent the last two days reading your account of this journey. I can only say that I am in awe of you ability to write and hold a reader.
I look forward to the warm weather and a renewed effort on your part to resume the task at hand.

I can only say thanks for the inspiration and that I am impatiently waiting for more. Sounds kinda selfish.........but I feel truly priviledged that you shared your journey with us.

Hi Capn! Spent the last two days reading your account of this journey. I can only say that I am in awe of you ability to write and hold a reader.
I look forward to the warm weather and a renewed effort on your part to resume the task at hand.

I can only say thanks for the inspiration and that I am impatiently waiting for more. Sounds kinda selfish.........but I feel truly priviledged that you shared your journey with us.

Thanks for reading! I love to share the tale with anyone who will listen. I especially appreciate the fact you read through the whole tome in two days...that's a lot of reading!
I get the urge to write a lot lately....but with no progress on The Duke, I really don't know what to write ABOUT. (any ideas?)

To be honest with you, with your style and flair for writing, I would read just about anything you wrote. I gotta agree with something someone else said, and I actually was remarking on your writing to my wife as well, that you have a way of buiding characters and settings that reminds me of early S. King, before he got all weirded out by his brush with death (haven't really read anything of his since). I know you mentioned trying out some fiction, I would love to read some car related fiction. I think you could really pull it off. Whatever you decide to do, I look forward to it. I wish I lived closer so I could give you a hand getting motivated to breath some life into the Duke again. You know he wants it........You have to let him ride off into the sunset, with your name at the top of the credits.

To be honest with you, with your style and flair for writing, I would read just about anything you wrote. I gotta agree with something someone else said, and I actually was remarking on your writing to my wife as well, that you have a way of buiding characters and settings that reminds me of early S. King, before he got all weirded out by his brush with death (haven't really read anything of his since). I know you mentioned trying out some fiction, I would love to read some car related fiction. I think you could really pull it off. Whatever you decide to do, I look forward to it. I wish I lived closer so I could give you a hand getting motivated to breath some life into the Duke again. You know he wants it........You have to let him ride off into the sunset, with your name at the top of the credits.

Thanks for the kind words!
I actually devoured a lot of King in my younger days....sometimes as fast as he could publish it! I never intentionally tried to emulate any writer, however...my style is my own, for what it's worth. I have toyed with the idea of beginning a fictional work, if I thought anybody'd read it.
I laughed out loud at your King comment; yeah, he weirded out a bunch. His absolute best writing, IMHO, were when he was writing incognito as Richard Bachman...the scribblings were more coarse, visceral, and less of the science fiction crap that always seemed to ruin a perfectly good nail-biter. Don't encourage me too much, now....I may have a go at it!:munky2:

Come on Cap'n do a story for us :happy1: I'll give you a start.

Once upon a time, not that long ago, in a town, not that different from yours there were 3 young guys, roughly 18 - 20 ish years old. Not unlike guys like us back in the day. Of course they had MoPars. One fellow, we'll call him Matt, had a 68 GTX, 440, 4 spd, he bought it already built - it was pretty bad ride. Another fellow, we'll call him Bill, had a 70 Duster, 340, 4 spd, he had owned it for quite a few years and did some mods along the way, the usual stuff: cam, headers, intake, better carb, you know nothing real wild, but it was a respectable ride and was known throughout the town to be pretty quick. Finally, there was Pete, who had a 70 GTS, it was a automatic and that was pretty much all that was known about Pete's GTS, other than it sounded like nothing anyone had ever heard before and was quicker than anything in the county.

Take it Cap'n

Thanks for the kind words!
I actually devoured a lot of King in my younger days....sometimes as fast as he could publish it! I never intentionally tried to emulate any writer, however...my style is my own, for what it's worth. I have toyed with the idea of beginning a fictional work, if I thought anybody'd read it.
I laughed out loud at your King comment; yeah, he weirded out a bunch. His absolute best writing, IMHO, were when he was writing incognito as Richard Bachman...the scribblings were more coarse, visceral, and less of the science fiction crap that always seemed to ruin a perfectly good nail-biter. Don't encourage me too much, now....I may have a go at it!:munky2:

Waiting for it Cap'n. Come on......You know you wanna!

Come on Cap'n do a story for us :happy1: I'll give you a start.

Once upon a time, not that long ago, in a town, not that different from yours there were 3 young guys, roughly 18 - 20 ish years old. Not unlike guys like us back in the day. Of course they had MoPars. One fellow, we'll call him Matt, had a 68 GTX, 440, 4 spd, he bought it already built - it was pretty bad ride. Another fellow, we'll call him Bill, had a 70 Duster, 340, 4 spd, he had owned it for quite a few years and did some mods along the way, the usual stuff: cam, headers, intake, better carb, you know nothing real wild, but it was a respectable ride and was known throughout the town to be pretty quick. Finally, there was Pete, who had a 70 GTS, it was a automatic and that was pretty much all that was known about Pete's GTS, other than it sounded like nothing anyone had ever heard before and was quicker than anything in the county.

Take it Cap'n

LOL! Sounds like you're off to a good start yourself! Whaddya need me for?:hello2:

-
Back