Captainkirk's Duster project

-
It really was that long ago, but it still seems vivid in my memories. I'm very glad that I was able to get to know my grandpa and am very blessed to have spent as much time with as I did. It still wasn't enough time, but I thank god for the time we had. Rest in peace grandpa
Christoopher

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Only a couple of miles from you then. LOL

16948429586_2c0a7d6aca_o.gif

Ummm...yeah. Forgot to mention...dropped off the '72 block at Tony's shop Friday evening. Just the '72 block. (I'm such a Block-head...)
I figure it this way...if it needs to be bored, it needs to be bored. It will save me two-hunnert-sump'n bucks over prepping the '69 block any way you slice it.
Tony was surprised when he looked at the bores...I think he didn't quite believe me when I told him how pristine this thing was. I can't imagine NOT using it after unzipping the plastic 'sleeping bag' it was stashed away in. It looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. Anyway, he was surprised...and actually agreed with me that it might not need boring. Anyway; no guesswork. He's gonna mic the bores for wear, out-of-round and taper and see if his readings match up with mine. Then, and only then, will we decide on a piston, based on bore. Standard or oversize; we should know for sure early this week...possibly as early as tomorrow.

It really was that long ago, but it still seems vivid in my memories. I'm very glad that I was able to get to know my grandpa and am very blessed to have spent as much time with as I did. It still wasn't enough time, but I thank god for the time we had. Rest in peace grandpa
Christoopher

Now, when are we gonna get you to start your own resto thread, young man? Now that you have your own Duster, that is...
Don't make me start one for you.......

And now, thanks to the magic of Flickr, something many of you have been asking for for a long time: a photo of the Li'l Red Minx back in the day, with a much younger Captain standing by...sorry for the poor photo quality. Maybe I can get it enhanced later, but....well, bombs away!

16787275560_56a6d2bfb3_z.jpg

Man, I miss that car!

Looks like I've been elected to the position of "Chairman of the Bored"...
Huh? Well, that is...I just found out my block needs boring.
Tony mic'd it out with better equipment than I have. He called and said the cylinders have a .005 taper at the very top...
That, friends, pretty much cuts it.
We are gonna go .020 with torque plates and use the Minx ('72) block.
This all seems pretty silly with the onset of warmer weather, as I really need to forget the motor for the moment and start planning my summer work strategy.
Such as?
*Need to decide for sure on how to final-coat (if) the underside (frankly, I really like the Rustoleum Battleship Gray it is now)
*Diff needs painting and re-hanging
*Engine compartment and trunk need spraying in Winchester Gray (aka Gunmetal)
*K-frame and front suspension parts need cleaning, painting, and reinstalling.
*All front end bushings need replaced
*Gas tank, fuel and brake lines need reconditioned/reinstalled or replaced
...and that's just for starters! Whew! I'm getting dizzy here....
So, you see, kiddies, there is no room for engine stuff, but I've seen what the ravages of time do to stored parts. My goal here is to get cracking on the body stuff while keeping the motor thing on the low burner (but still heating) over the summer. If I play my cards right, I might just have a rolling chassis to stick that motor in around the time it's assembled.
So, you see...I'm NOT mad!

16788715247_fcdcb93250_z.jpg

Here is one of the contenders...for heavyweight champion of the world! These suckers should earn the 'Grammy' for having the most grams of any flat top I've found at 735g (besides the original Mopar cast piston, which weighs in at a whopping 771g!)

16808556688_111548e6ae_o.jpg

No, I have not made up my mind yet. But it will be a bit easier of a choice now, knowing virtually everything is available in +.020 or +.030.

Must you continually torture me like this?

16818311708_d7d823a2b7_o.jpg

Just kidding....
Thanks for the enhanced version...Eye-popping paint, just like I remember!
You know I drool every time I see your car....

BTW...that is the only photo I have that shows the Mopar Pro-comp scoop.

Nothing wrong with that picture at all. Seems all were a little soft, unless you had the big big dollar cameras. Thanks for sharing.

Nothing wrong with that picture at all. Seems all were a little soft, unless you had the big big dollar cameras. Thanks for sharing.

'preciate that! If you knew how I got those photos onto this forum, you might not be so kind....
OK, OK...quit twisting my arm....I'll tell ya! UNCLE!

I took them out of the frames and snapped a photo of the photo with my cell phone, then sent them to my Flickr account and cropped and edited them there.
Crazy, I know. But it worked....somewhat.
Plus, it was free.

...that you're in too deep?
Yeah, me too.
I've got this Duster scattered 12 ways to Sunday. Now that I'm actually working on the motor, I want, in the worst way, to drop it in and fire it up. Hear the thunder and see the lightning. Hell...I'd like to RIDE the lightning! Just to back it out of the garage on it's own power!

Kinda hard to do when it still looks like this:

10527202236_d5f29f0061_z.jpg

....jackstands and all.
No suspension, no K-frame, no nuttin'.
Now that the weather is breaking, I intend to go full-bore on getting The Duke back down on all four. Now, going "full-bore" leaves a lot to be desired in one or two hour increments, to be sure. But the key here is to have a goal in sight and keep hammering away at it. It's doable, my goal. And by next spring I hope to have a fully-assembled motor hanging from a chain hoist ready to drop in. And no, I ain't using that Drop-A-Motor thingamabob...(I've still got it but I can't tell you why)....I'll be using a real cherry-picker this time.
I'm not about to kid myself into believing I can have the whole thing done by next (2016) summer, but it oughta be running and move-able by then anyway. If I can keep on track, that is.
Anyway, thanks for sticking with me on this build. I gotta say, staying focused and intense has been a lot of fun. And I appreciate those of you who poke me with a sharp stick now and again when I backslide.
Let's do this thing.

Oh, and speaking of this....

I'm still on the fence about what to do with it.
On one hand, I like the look of the gray Rustoleum. I don't intend to drive the car in snow ever again, but sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men, well...you know. That whole "George" thing.
I could, I suppose, undercoat over the Rustoleum. But I like the look. I dunno...but I gotta make some decisions soon. I suppose I could also try to spray it the original "Winchester Gunmetal Gray" but I doubt that would hold up any better than the Rustoleum...which, incidentally, is hard as nails right now. But, the engine bay is gonna have to be Winchester, as is the trunk interior. So, it's a thought.
But, gotta get cracking on the suspension and K-frame, most importantly. I've already deep-sixed the idea of powder-coating those bits...Rustoleum will work just fine, methinks. And be a lot cheaper. Those funds can be used elsewhere where they can do way more good, like in new pistons or a mean & nasty camshaft.
Plus, I've got to re-bush the entire front suspension. And that won't be free, either.
Wish me luck...I'm goin' in!

Did you ever make it to scooping in Waukegan? Reason I ask is cause my good friend had a 69 GTS 383. B 5 blue. That car made me a mopar lover. A brute!

I scooped the Li'l Red Minx a few times, back in '77-78 before my journey to Tulsa and the Minx's untimely demise...I've been to Scoop The Loop back before it turned into low-rider-limbo and buzz-bomb bonanza; mid-nineties....but not with a car. Nowadays, I just go to Nostalgia Days where they still appreciate musclecars.
When did your buddy scoop the loop?

Mid 70's before downtown died from the malls out west, especially Lakehurst. Coming out of the parking lot on the south end of Genesee and going the burn outs. LOL. Much more mellow then. The cops that is.

Oh, and speaking of this....

I'm still on the fence about what to do with it.
On one hand, I like the look of the gray Rustoleum. I don't intend to drive the car in snow ever again, but sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men, well...you know. That whole "George" thing.
I could, I suppose, undercoat over the Rustoleum. But I like the look. I dunno...but I gotta make some decisions soon. I suppose I could also try to spray it the original "Winchester Gunmetal Gray" but I doubt that would hold up any better than the Rustoleum...which, incidentally, is hard as nails right now. But, the engine bay is gonna have to be Winchester, as is the trunk interior. So, it's a thought.
But, gotta get cracking on the suspension and K-frame, most importantly. I've already deep-sixed the idea of powder-coating those bits...Rustoleum will work just fine, methinks. And be a lot cheaper. Those funds can be used elsewhere where they can do way more good, like in new pistons or a mean & nasty camshaft.
Plus, I've got to re-bush the entire front suspension. And that won't be free, either.
Wish me luck...I'm goin' in!

I say leave the bottom, look how cool this Duster looks down under....
Now ya can't beat that with stick!

Attachments

• 2012-08-05_14-38-50_392.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 2012-08-05_14-36-49_54.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 350
Captain, those pictures are from another members build. They are what inspired us to paint the bottom of our Duster and only undercoat in the wheel wells. I hope ours turns out half as nice as those I posted. On our car the bottom is the same E5 as the body...

View attachment image-891070437.jpg

....some worn, raggedy photos, copied and enhanced for your viewing pleasure!

The Duke, circa 1978, shortly after I bought him. Still sportin' the old oil-guzzlin' 340 with the Carter AVS at this point in time. Pay no attention to that long-hair blocking your view....

16439383664_21670c4431_z.jpg

A lousy, late-afternoon frontal shot of The Duke in Tulsa. This was also before the transplant took place.

17035846776_7d3b89c935_z.jpg

An old B&W shot taken on slide film of the Li'l Red Minx with her *****-heart still beating. This was shot before I left for Tulsa and was still tearing up the roads of Mudsville...

16875610539_bc4a3e6e50_z.jpg

Captain, those pictures are from another members build. They are what inspired us to paint the bottom of our Duster and only undercoat in the wheel wells. I hope ours turns out half as nice as those I posted. On our car the bottom is the same E5 as the body...

That's probably what I will do, leave the wheel wells undercoated and leave the belly, well..SOME color. I do like the Rustoleum Smoke Gray, but Winchester Gunmetal Gray would be really fine as well.

Found another one, probably the only pic left of the Minx with that embarrassing "KS 350" license plate, if you look closely. Also shows the Mopar ProComp scoop....and a hell of a nice lawn.
16874282128_99f4ec637e_z.jpg

-
Back