Captainkirk's Duster project

-
So, I am seriously browsing Classic Industries' Mopar catalog, realizing that if I'm ever gonna finish this motor, I'll need somewhere to put it. Which means the car will need:
1) Wheels
2) K-frame
3) all the particulars that go with it, such as brake lines, shocks, etc....
I've been busy mapping out my plans for the above, including re-bushing the suspension and getting the original rear end from the Minx (3.91) back into Ol' Duke.
That is, if this hellish weather will ever break.
Still, I'm quite happy with the momentum this project is building so early in the year. I've managed to build up quite a head of steam that will hopefully carry through this summer and fall.
Stay tuned......

I can't quit now. We know how The Duke feels about quitters.

[ame]https://youtu.be/r3bhwIvtwY4?t=2m46s[/ame]

I am installing classic industries stainless steel brake lines on my duster.
I can say they fit alot better than I anticipated.

....hat, that is. But don't ever tell him I called it that. Y'all know how The Duke feels about them sissy French words. He told us, and Stewart Whitman, in "The Comancheros"
Now, I haven't given him the gift of this chapeau....ummm...HAT, yet. You know them gunslingers can be funny about stuff like that. But I mean, look at that raggety-assed hat:

16482867623_b1b100c43d_z.jpg

...and now check out the new cha...HAT I bought him:

16480860613_d611c7cecb_z.jpg

I kinda think he'll approve...well, I hope so, anyway.
If not, I'm sure he'll let me know. Damn quick.

Thanks to Woody30 for a good deal and fast shipping!

........of The Duke's new hat.
Hope I can make it work with the TQ, not having a choke well and all. I think I have it figured out, pretty much. The adapter plate I bought 40 years ago looks like it will work just fine also with a little port-matching.
If not, the old 650 DP Holley is a straight-up bolt on complete with manual choke. Should be a pretty solid replacement for the old tried & true Torker 340.

17100340221_d53655e5ca_z.jpg

17099505572_60e407cfe7_z.jpg

17099514372_0bb57fe2a0_z.jpg

James T., that manifold rocks over the original Torker. Curious to see a T.Q on it, that combination would make sense,sorted out.

James T., that manifold rocks over the original Torker. Curious to see a T.Q on it, that combination would make sense,sorted out.

The TQ I plan on using is in pieces. I have a core I will pop on again and take some pix for ya....O:)

I may have to beat you if we even meet! I was up till 2 am and only got to chapter 10. Now enough of that I need to continue reading........

Really, not much has been done over the last couple weeks outside of the purchase of the new manifold. With the shock of the untimely passing of my friend and brother-in-law last week (and funeral, etc) coupled with the shock of my newly-acquired left ear hearing loss and all the Dr. visits, testing, CT scan, MRI....and the blue funk that goes along with it....I'm trying to literally "get my **** together" and move on with life, but frankly, I "ain't there yet", folks. I will get there, and the project will move forward. Thanks for keeping up on it.

Good news, 'cuz I was lookin' at them, too!

Very sorry to hear of your recent setbacks. Brian Wilson mixed all the Beach Boys stuff in mono because he was deaf in one ear and they came out pretty good.

Places like Classic and Year One probably get their tubing sets from other vendors and resell them.

Check with FineLines and InlineTube if you want to go directly to the source. Dunno, maybe with special incentives the resellers may actuall have them for less $$.
FWIW, I supplied Fine Lines with a full set of patterns from my 69 Cuda because they did not have ANY A-body stuff at the time. Gave them disc and 10" drum lines plus the fuel lines.

The TQ I plan on using is in pieces. I have a core I will pop on again and take some pix for ya....O:)

....and I did just that. Here ya go:

Adapter plate installed. Looks like it may require a small amount of blending to ensure a perfectly smooth transition; should be pretty easy to do.

17006660137_84a3e1de01_z.jpg

Top view with core ThermoQuad sittin' tall in the saddle

17026349688_436a3cf133_z.jpg

Another top view of TQ on Air Gap RPM

17006672447_caefe81b2e_z.jpg

I think it looks pretty badass, personally. Stay tuned.

Very sorry to hear of your recent setbacks. Brian Wilson mixed all the Beach Boys stuff in mono because he was deaf in one ear and they came out pretty good.

Yes, just hard to adapt to after hearing perfectly normal for 57 years.

Places like Classic and Year One probably get their tubing sets from other vendors and resell them.

I'm sure they do....but even so, I find them very reasonably priced, including the stainless lines. And to hear they are pre-bent and actually FIT is very encouraging.

Check with FineLines and InlineTube if you want to go directly to the source. Dunno, maybe with special incentives the resellers may actuall have them for less $$.
FWIW, I supplied Fine Lines with a full set of patterns from my 69 Cuda because they did not have ANY A-body stuff at the time. Gave them disc and 10" drum lines plus the fuel lines.

Again, I find 50 bucks for a pair of SS lines (front or rear) to be well worth the expense. Especially if it saves me the aggravation of trying to bend them without kinking and have them just "bolt in".

Hang in there bud! Things will work out in the end. All of us here at FABO are sending good positive vibes your way.

Darn little to update, actually....car-wise. I am "somewhat" over the death of my brother-in-law and good friend of over 30 years, John. You can grieve for just so long, I suppose, before you realize it doesn't help anything. It did make me grasp the preciousness of life for a time (as funerals are wont to do); it can all be taken away in the blink of an eye. Do the things you long to to and keep your loved ones close. Leave them a legacy of love, caring and kindness that will last long after you're gone because that's all there will be left. If you leave nothing, you'll be forgotten before the month is gone.
Most of you have read my hearing loss thread so I won't make a big ruckus about that now other than to say some of it (Thank God!!!!) has come back. I still have a pretty fierce case of tinnitus but that ain't cheese and crackers compared to being totally deaf in one ear, trust me. Without any source of measurement I would guess offhand I've regained maybe 20-25% of my left ear hearing. If you missed the juicy stuff you can catch up here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=311607

Otherwise...carry on!
Looking forward to the first Park on Park in Mudsville (Mundelein, IL) May 13th (Wednesday) evening. Hope I will be able to make it. Hope you will, too!
Still trying to get my head together Mopar-wise. Tony sent me an email asking if I had done anything piston-wise....told him no, I'd had a plate-full of stuff to deal with as of late. (ain't THAT the troof'!) He's wanting to know if he should carry on with the boring job, I s'pose....I need to get with him and find out if I actually need pistons in-hand before boring it, or if he can just use Kentucky Windage and go .020 over based on manufacturer's specs. If not, I guess I'll be buying some pistons soon...although I really need to get hot 'n' heavy on the suspension. Even if the motor was done there's nowhere to stuff it without wheels and suspension....duh!
I've pretty much decided to stick with rubber replacement bushings on the suspension rather than going poly. Poly doesn't seem to buy that much, it squeaks, and it's a lot more costly. Rubber worked just fine for Ma Mopar, it oughta work OK for me.
So...May 1st was my target date to "get my *** in gear" with the Ol' Duke...it's come and gone, so I s'pose I oughta put up or shut up. I guess I need that first little 'push' to get me moving...maybe PoP will be just the ticket.
Look for a dust cloud....

17188122059_1b749ea9b7_o.jpg

I used Moog rubber stuff everywhere except poly sway bar bushings/links and the rear spring shackles.

I used Moog rubber stuff everywhere except poly sway bar bushings/links and the rear spring shackles.

Who did you buy it from?
I was shopping Classic Industries mainly because they have the whole kit rather than having to piecemeal it out.

Kirk is that set up going to fit under your hood. I think I used a dropped base filter housing with mine years ago

Kirk is that set up going to fit under your hood. I think I used a dropped base filter housing with mine years ago

Darn good question...I don't know! I was running a Holley 650DP on a Torker 340 before. The adapter adds a full 3/4" to the height. Guess we'll have to see..

I've decided not to use the adapter pictured due to the open plenum. Will probably try something like this instead:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2034

Well, Park on Park was a little Mopar-light, and a bit chilly, but it served to get me sufficiently stoked. Saw a gorgeous total resto T/A Challenger there complete with Six Pak setup. The guy really did a nice job! Also got to meet YoungDart and check out his awesome Swinger with the Leaning Tower of Power under the hood! Nice project car and looks like he's done a lot in the 6 months he's owned it. Was sorta hoping to meet other FABO guys there, but if they were there, we missed 'em. Now, if this goofy spring weather would just break, maybe I could get out and really get started on this thing!

-
Back