Captian Obvious Driving a cool 65 Formula S??

-
It has the window opening of a 65 barracuda and lower quarters look right, but the back windo, hood and the front fenders are not right at all. Is it a conglomeration of car parts? Custom car???
What are you talking about the whole front clip is for sure a 64 or 65 Barracuda. Maybe if you saw the commercial rather than just this one pic you could tell better.

here you go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3saleiyuNc"]Hotels.com TV Commercial 2014 - Tip :15 Victoria Day - YouTube[/ame]

Obvious the Capt'n did not like driving a Fish bowl so he had the rear glass made smaller on his beloved Barracuda....

Too bad they decided to use a boogered up custom in that commercial. Forget commercials, we need to get a 64-66 Barracuda featured in a movie! Maybe Fast and Furious 15 or some good action movie. Why couldn’t Gran Torino have been Barracuda! Clint just needed a little nudging in the right direction.

They really should make a Fast and Furious 1.0 "the Early Years" that would be a cool movie, but there may be very little crash scenes......Imagine the casting call..." Looking for all makes running muscle cars that we can crash..."...uh, is this thing on?

Ironic that Captian Obvious has a car that causes so much confusion.

You would think it what be more, er, obvious?!

Just watched the commercial and went through frame by frame as the guy is closing the door you can see the Barracuda emblem on the passenger door below the wing window. GUYS IT IS A BARRACUDA

I did not mean to start a war of what it is but for my eye seeing this commercial several times now it looks just like my 65 Barracuda in black! Maybe the back is slightly modified but the front is dead on. It is so fast in the shot on TV its hard to say otherwise, but to me its a 65 Barracuda. I just want to see the grill to give it the final OK! As it would tell me 65 or 66! But I never though it would be a over whelming who knows what .....I just felt it was a cool thing to see an a body get some daylight on primetime!!

65 Cudalover

The modified rear glass gives the car an interesting/different enhanced "bubble" look. I always thought that Plymouth didn't quite get the back window shape quite right in production, probably because of the difficulties in casting and shaping a window of that size. If it could have been made so that the glass slopes in a completely straight line when viewed from the side, rather than being curved a bit, it would have helped sharpen the overall look of the car (making it less obvious it was "just" a Valiant with with a big back window grafted on).

Steve

I swear he calls it a Javelin at the end of the commercial?

Many thanks for the video link, Kmrumedy; I first saw this commercial a few days ago, and almost jumped out of my seat! (I have a black '66 base-model 'Cuda.)

A few things I noticed:

(1) All emblems seem to have been removed, Photoshopped out, or papered/taped over. Take a look at the close-up sequence with our Captain seated in the car: Under the passenger-side vent window, I swear I see a piece of flat-black paper that has been crudely taped over the "Barracuda" script emblem. See if you agree!

(2) To me, as to many of us, it's "obvious" the car is a 'Cuda (can't decide if it's a '64 or '65, though, or to what extent it may have been customized), but it's probably not a Formula S. That's because the inside rear-view mirror doesn't have the "day/night" toggle lever. 'Cuda wonks know that the base-model cars got non-switchable mirrors with stainless-steel backs; the Formula S items have the toggle at the bottom, and a black crinkle-finish back.

Think I've figured it out!

One of the reprint catalogs I have is the "1964 - 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Information Manual". In there, it shows a side view of a black '67 'Cuda Fastback (one of three body styles offered), which seems to be a dead ringer for the ObviousMobile--right down to the styling of the wheels.

On these second-generation 'Cudas, the fishbowl was smaller and shorter; however, the C-pillar profile looks very similar to the earlier cars and the interior lights on these pillars have the same distinctive round shape.

At the risk of stating the obvious: Something is "obvious" only if you recognize it, which means you must have seen it before...

Doc, you need your perscription checked! .....the 67 had a slab for a back glass, and a huge C pillar, the 3 styles were 'vert, fastback and notch. Neither come close to this round Early A thing.
BARRACUDA-1WEB.jpg
barracuda1.jpg

The rear window still looks photoshopped to me, look at whatever is under the glass, there should not be anything there, surely not a seat back. Front is all 64-66.
The "Barracuda" and most of the Valiant scrpits are still copywrite trademanrs ao they dodnt have permission to use them so they covered them. Maybe even for the shape of the rear glass?

perhaps they changed the rear wheel well opening too, looks like its missing the overhang.

-
Back