Car craft build a 500 hp 360 stroker for 5000*

-
Dont get me wrong. I can level with the guy that wants to pick up some power with some bolt ons and tuning on a 318....but a full on Big Money build? :fart:

What a let down....they didn't actually build this theoretical monster? Glad I canceled my subsrciption to car craft, I have enough bathroom reading material. I have known about this combinations' possibilites for a long time, but haven't actually seen or even heard a review about a physical build.

Everyone knows why too...:read2:..the investment into a 318 shooting for a peak number is only worth it to prove a point or waste money....vs. beginning with more displacement to achieve the same number lower in the power curve with more torque to boot....which theoretically would last longer since it doesnt have to work as hard..:read2:.

I personally would not waste my time stroking a 318.

I agree 100%......

Didnt mean to dissapoint with the thread!

Just thought id post it an see what real mopar gear heads
have to say ;)

It's not the thread that I'm disappointed in, it's the article. I've been reading about stroker small blocks for about 5 years now, I even bought the book. And I meant no disrespect to Brian (OU812), I know he just provided them with some pictures.

I like to see REAL builds, where they show the choices that were made, any tricks to putting one together, then tune and dyno it.

It's not the thread that I'm disappointed in, it's the article. I've been reading about stroker small blocks for about 5 years now, I even bought the book. And I meant no disrespect to Brian (OU812), I know he just provided them with some pictures.

I like to see REAL builds, where they show the choices that were made, any tricks to putting one together, then tune and dyno it.

This is exactly how the next article will be! We are trying 2 sets of headers, 2 different intakes, spacers, and 3 different carbs all on the same long block to give readers CHOICES!!
We will also be testing thin oil vs. heavy oil because of the hyd. system to see what happens there.
I don't think you guys will be disappointed with this next article. If so well, maybe you just can't please them all...LOL!!
Brian

This is exactly how the next article will be! We are trying 2 sets of headers, 2 different intakes, spacers, and 3 different carbs all on the same long block to give readers CHOICES!!
We will also be testing thin oil vs. heavy oil because of the hyd. system to see what happens there.
I don't think you guys will be disappointed with this next article. If so well, maybe you just can't please them all...LOL!!
Brian
Good Luck with the builds and Thanks for keeping us informed!

With me living in Ontario,Canada and building a stroker 408,I,ve passesd the $5000 fairly quick.Everything is taxed about 15%
stroker kit from eagle=$1900(with H-beams)
Eddy RPM,s heads=$1400
P&P=roughly $500
Camshaft and valve train=$800
AED HO850=$600
M1 intake=$125
MSD 6AL,Dizzy and wires=$500
Mildoon 8qrt. pan and pickup,pump=$400
Timing chain,gears,fuel pump,water pump(alumi)=$400
This adds up to $6625 plus 15% tax,
I haven,t even added the machining yet?=$$$??:angry7:

You get the idea!Brian,could you add all maching costs to your builds and dyno costs?Thanks

Along with our info in this next article will be prices. We will give prices on all parts tested so people can pick and choose which parts meet their budget and which parts will meet their power goals.

Thanks Brian... And dont let them edit that stuf out! (I have submitted before...lol)

Along with our info in this next article will be prices. We will give prices on all parts tested so people can pick and choose which parts meet their budget and which parts will meet their power goals.

Thats awesome brian,looking forward to it!

Let us know when it happens!

It'll be in the June issue I believe which will be available in April...

Can't wait to see your results Brian. Maybe an article from CC will actually be worth reading for a change. The one in mention sure wasn't (no offense to the OP). One bit of info worth reading is something I've read elsewhere also. That many 318 blocks can be bored out to 4" which makes them usable pieces when building a stroker no matter what some guys think. After all your only talking 6 cubic inches diff. between a 4" bore stroked 318 to a 4.03" bore stroked 360. That's not gonna be much difference in power and considering 318 blocks can be found alot easier and much cheaper they can make an affordable stroker project that makes real good power.

Just a note on machine work prices. My machinist a very knowledgeable Mopar guy and his prices are quite reasonable compared to other parts of the US. I had my block sonic checked, bored and honed with torque plates, square decked, hot tanked twice, align honed, rotating assembly internally balanced (no Mallory metal was needed). All that for $890.

-
Back