Car craft build a 500 hp 360 stroker for 5000*

-
thats a 500 hp 318 not a 360.

i have the magazine. they got a stroker kit off ebay to make it something like 390 cubes.

ccrp_1003_05+chrysler_LA_engine_build+.jpg

I like the concept. But there's a bit that seems to be missing there. I'll accept the machining cost posted. I can't see how he can be that cheap, but I'm in CT, and Brian's in CA. It's $450 just to internal balance the assembly here. The last block that was done to my specs was about $700 to align hone and bore/hone. Of course there was also square decking and washing/magging. But again, magazine reality and reality are not always the same. Like the garage guy who doesnt have the tools to check ebverything and has to pay to have the stroker kit checked out. It also puts no value on sonic testing and assembly. So what's missing parts wise... Block hardware, timing set, oil pump, oil pump pickup, oil pump drive, fuel pump eccentric, harmonic dampner. Those trinkets will add another $450 to the kitty. I can also say I could save another $500 or so by using a 360 core and bigger carb. So reality IMO is very subjective. If you shop wisely you dont have to skimp and get a successful result. but again, there's HUGE differences between most printed builds and what an individual can do in terms of having a running solid engine in thier car or reading about what it takes. Car Craft is glossing over a lot of reality spending.

Just so we're clear...that stroker kit was JMS's deal not ours. We provided some of the pics and details about using a 318 block and boring it to 4" and using 360 to 408 stroker kit.
We gave no prices.
The prices given are from Hughes Engines as well as their HP #'s. They needed pictures of blocks and some small bits of info and we provided that.

Brian

Just so we're clear...that stroker kit was JMS's deal not ours. We provided some of the pics and details about using a 318 block and boring it to 4" and using 360 to 408 stroker kit.
We gave no prices.
The prices given are from Hughes Engines as well as their HP #'s. They needed pictures of blocks and some small bits of info and we provided that.

Brian
Did you or JMS run the engine on the dyno, i didnt see any dyno charts in the write up, are there any. What camshaft was used if so.?

500 h.p. from a 318 for only $5k...ya right....:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Brian, That wasnt meant as a cheap shot at you personally. More a different perspective on the industry.

Edit for clarification: the print industry...

Well, that was disappointing. I can honestly say that I learned nothing by reading that article. They couldn't recommend a cam, or put it on a dyno?

Brian, did they even build an engine, or were they just letting the Bowtie/Blue Oval guys know that it is possible to stroke a sb mopar engine?!?

yea i have the issue, imo the article didnt really do much...usually car craft tech articles are pretty decent, but that one was like they struggled to put any info together for it...and 500hp for 5k from a 318...i call b.s. lol

OK guys....you need to READ the article and not just the caption's and pictures...LOL!
This is a 318 stroker build that they just touched on because they were trying to fill a void.
But....since visiting our shop CC has decided to let us do a build with these RHS heads and some budget stuff to see what we can do.

The next article should be a 6 pager and should be very informative. We will be testing alot of things and should be enough info to help you select certain parts or parts similar to what we use and give you the kind of info that will let anyone plan their build and know for sure what kind of power they will have and where that power will be (rpm range).

Hopefully we'll also get to do a follow up article and take it one step further to see if we can get 550HP with different heads and cam but retain the budget bottom end.
Brian

Well, that was disappointing. I can honestly say that I learned nothing by reading that article. They couldn't recommend a cam, or put it on a dyno?

Brian, did they even build an engine, or were they just letting the Bowtie/Blue Oval guys know that it is possible to stroke a sb mopar engine?!?

Didnt mean to dissapoint with the thread!

Just thought id post it an see what real mopar gear heads
have to say ;)

Thanks for the input too brian :cheers:

Ok, just to be sure I went back and re-read. What part did I miss? There's the historical blurb, then a note about reusing tinwork...lol. Then the P1SC build... If this was soup it wouldnt even be chicken stock never mind meat and taters...lol. A thought on the up coming article: Please please please account for every nut and bolt in the total cost including if someone had to pay to mag and clean cores and the dyno time required to eek out the numbers. I know 500hp can be done for less than $6K, but I really think there are too many important parts to skimp on (like hyper pistons instead of decent forged) to make it under $5K and be repeatable for another other individual.

OK guys....you need to READ the article and not just the caption's and pictures...LOL!
This is a 318 stroker build that they just touched on because they were trying to fill a void.

thats exactly what i mean...they were trying to take up some space when usually there tech stuff is pretty good and detailed...I am definatly looking forward to the next issue though if you guys are doing an RHS build, especially outta your shop Brian...here nothing but good stuff about your work, so im sure it will be good! and like Moper said, maybe see if you can push the CC guys to include every cost...although, if they do it for this one article then its gonna make all the chevy and ford guys think even more that mopars are too expensive...ahh screw em anyways LOL

I like the concept. But there's a bit that seems to be missing there. I'll accept the machining cost posted. I can't see how he can be that cheap, but I'm in CT, and Brian's in CA. It's $450 just to internal balance the assembly here. The last block that was done to my specs was about $700 to align hone and bore/hone. Of course there was also square decking and washing/magging. But again, magazine reality and reality are not always the same. Like the garage guy who doesnt have the tools to check ebverything and has to pay to have the stroker kit checked out. It also puts no value on sonic testing and assembly. So what's missing parts wise... Block hardware, timing set, oil pump, oil pump pickup, oil pump drive, fuel pump eccentric, harmonic dampner. Those trinkets will add another $450 to the kitty. I can also say I could save another $500 or so by using a 360 core and bigger carb. So reality IMO is very subjective. If you shop wisely you dont have to skimp and get a successful result. but again, there's HUGE differences between most printed builds and what an individual can do in terms of having a running solid engine in thier car or reading about what it takes. Car Craft is glossing over a lot of reality spending.

I agree with everything you said..and i'm still not buying 480 h.p. from that combo for just $5k spent...........i learned a long time ago believe half of what you read in these rags...

I agree with everything you said..and i'm still not buying 480 h.p. from that combo for just $5k spent...........i learned a long time ago believe half of what you read in these rags...

I believe it can be done and I will prove it in the next few months on a new build after I finish up the 359 that I am working on now. By the way this one will have Brians RHS heads on it 10.5 compression and I am shooting for 425 hp with torque same. Using Hyd XE284 240@50 510 lift Comp Cam. I will have right around $3800.00 maybe a hair over into this one minus the carb. That is with a gear drive and from the pan up to the intake with distributor, wires and valve covers........I have been gathering the parts that are ALL new for about a year and have got great bargains on all of it! Brian is doing all machine work right now including the heads that should be ready for pick up at his shop in a few weeks.

Next one is another 410 stroker with same RHS heads Brian is selling and the goal on that one is 500hp for 5k or less!

I believe it can be done and I will prove it in the next few months on a new build after I finish up the 359 that I am working on now. By the way this one will have Brians RHS heads on it 10.5 compression and I am shooting for 425 hp with torque same. Using Hyd XE284 240@50 510 lift Comp Cam. I will have right around $3800.00 maybe a hair over into this one minus the carb. That is with a gear drive and from the pan up to the intake with distributor, wires and valve covers........I have been gathering the parts that are ALL new for about a year and have got great bargains on all of it! Brian is doing all machine work right now including the heads that should be ready for pick up at his shop in a few weeks.

Next one is another 410 stroker with same heads Brian is selling and the goal on that one is 500hp for 5k or less!

mad, what is the 318 stroker and future 410 going into if you dont mind me asking..

mad, what is the 318 stroker and future 410 going into if you dont mind me asking..

The 318 based engine will go in a 69 Dart GT with a a street/strip 904 and 3.91 gears. Picking up the car this weekend from my best friends boss, its a done deal!

I will be building 2 more 410 strokers. The one mentioned here I will probably be selling. I have all the parts for that one except the pistons and heads.

The second 410 is for my best friends 70 Dart 4spd. Same car that I have except it is Yellow. Brian at IMM is setting up some Eddy heads for it now and they should be done in a few weeks for pick up. Shooting for 550hp/550tq on that one. I took him for a ride in mine and he is HOOKED after I scared the chitttttt out of him. haaaaaaaa

The 318 based engine will go in a 69 Dart GT with a a street/strip 904 and 3.91 gears. Picking up the car this weekend from my best friends boss, its a done deal!

I will be building 2 more 410 strokers. The one mentioned here I will probably be selling. I have all the parts for that one except the pistons and heads.

The second 410 is for my best friends 70 Dart 4spd. Same car that I have except it is Yellow. Brian at IMM is setting up some Eddy heads for it now and they should be done in a few weeks for pick up. Shooting for 550hp/550tq on that one. I took him for a ride in mine and he is HOOKED after I scared the chitttttt out of him. haaaaaaaa

sounds good!8)

Here in C. Springs, CO, I built a eddy head'd stroker with a roller cam, and the dyno sheet shows 540 HP and 545 ft/pounds of torque. That's with a edelbrock 750 carb and Air Gap manifold. FWIW.

I have right around $6000 in it.

Good luck!

Geez,a lot of 500+ h.p. builds on here...what do they run for times??......

Here in C. Springs, CO, I built a eddy head'd stroker with a roller cam, and the dyno sheet shows 540 HP and 545 ft/pounds of torque. That's with a edelbrock 750 carb and Air Gap manifold. FWIW.

Good luck!

The EDDY headed engine will be around 6k for sure without the carb!

The Iron Headed RHS builds will hit the goal of 5k I believe for sure.

Good luck!

Were those numbers corrected for sea level or is that output at Colorado Springs altitude? Either way I want one...LOL

What a let down....they didn't actually build this theoretical monster? Glad I canceled my subsrciption to car craft, I have enough bathroom reading material. I have known about this combinations' possibilites for a long time, but haven't actually seen or even heard a review about a physical build.

Everyone knows why too...:read2:..the investment into a 318 shooting for a peak number is only worth it to prove a point or waste money....vs. beginning with more displacement to achieve the same number lower in the power curve with more torque to boot....which theoretically would last longer since it doesnt have to work as hard..:read2:.

I personally would not waste my time stroking a 318.

What a let down....they didn't actually build this theoretical monster? Glad I canceled my subsrciption to car craft, I have enough bathroom reading material. I have known about this combinations' possibilites for a long time, but haven't actually seen or even heard a review about a physical build.

Everyone knows why too...:read2:..the investment into a 318 shooting for a peak number is only worth it to prove a point or waste money....vs. beginning with more displacement to achieve the same number lower in the power curve with more torque to boot....which theoretically would last longer since it doesnt have to work as hard..:read2:.

I personally would not waste my time stroking a 318.

I tottally agree with you prine.
Why start with a 318,when you can start with a 360 etc
I have a similar argument all the time with bike owners.
Those who want to turbo there 600's to beat 1000's.
Im like,why dont you just buy a 1000 :S ?
Whats the point!

Oh well,some always like learning the hard way!

Whatever makes me people happy haha!

-
Back