Car Flippers say the darndest things...

-

1972DusterPaul

Reaction score
So like many of you guys (and gals) I love to troll Craigslist...just to look at stuff.

I had been watching a certain 1965 Barracuda just a couple miles down the street from me, thinking if it got low enough it would make a great first/restoration car for my son (and me) to play with.

Months ago it started at $7,500 for this beauty...going down $5.5K...$5K...$4.5K down to $3,000 a few weeks ago....with a threat about going to Ebay after that.

Wow...if i could get it for less than $3K...that would be a great deal.

Suddenly, bam, it was gone...

Well it landed south of the Michigan border in Toledo...the ad can be seen here... http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/3276973805.html

It is the same exact car, even with the small pictures I can see the same funky front seats.

"Selling due too loss of storage" is the official line in the ad...wow, he must have had storage for 1 week? then none the next?

Or maybe he is a 16 year old kid who didn't tell his parents he bought it?

Or his wife kicked him out for not telling her?

He has it up at $5,500...it will be interesting to see where it goes from there.

Now, I am not against car flipping...we all need to make a dollar...but come on...either come clean or better yet don't say anything at all...

Maybe the situation is the real deal and he lost storage...just seems a little fishy to me.

In the end, I might have to drive down to Ohio and take it off his hands for $2,500 \\:D/

Paul

Months ago it started at $7,500 for this beauty...going down $5.5K...$5K...$4.5K down to $3,000 a few weeks ago....with a threat about going to Ebay after that.

Wow...if i could get it for less than $3K...that would be a great deal.

Suddenly, bam, it was gone...

should have spent the $3k on it..

i don't see the big deal.. he is just trying to get traffic. buyers will know when they ask him questions and he doesn't know the answers..

Yeah.....I can't be too against car flippers, especially those who take them back east. Sounds like he isn't going to make that much on it anyway. What I do find amusing is guys who come look at a car that I'm selling and act like they're looking for some sort of father/son project......when in reality I can just smell that they are dealers or flippers. That sh** cracks me up......

Yep you are right...should have bought it...the Slant 6 really kept me from it...until I starting thinking about my son. My son has since told me he wants an old VW Bug. So maybe it's good I didn't buy.

I feel bad for the car...the owner before him was a flipper also.

Paul

should have spent the $3k on it..

i don't see the big deal.. he is just trying to get traffic. buyers will know when they ask him questions and he doesn't know the answers..

If I could bring some rust free cars back east here...i would do it in a minute myself...

Yeah.....I can't be too against car flippers, especially those who take them back east. Sounds like he isn't going to make that much on it anyway. What I do find amusing is guys who come look at a car that I'm selling and act like they're looking for some sort of father/son project......when in reality I can just smell that they are dealers or flippers. That sh** cracks me up......

I feel bad for the car...the owner before him was a flipper also.

it will get to someone who really wants it sooner or later. doesn't look too bad in the pics. the seats have to go though.

Let's call a spade a spade. I don't like liars, I don't give a **** what the reason is.

"Loss of storage" is not plausible and we all know it.

I also hate the "threateners." "If it doesn't sell today it's going to the scrapper" REALLY? Then I guess you should be glad to sell it to me for scrap prices and save you the trouble of hauling it away.

What I find amusing is tha they are targeting the same market.

The last one down here was a 66 Coronet basket case.
First ad was $600, and ran for a week.
The next week, the $600 ad is gone and new ad, obviously at a different house is up, and the price is $1700. Pics of the car still had tow chains on it.

Really? if you're the only one who wanted it for $600, what makes you think any of the other folks that had a week to look would want it for tripple that?

I am, hwever, kicking myself for a few that have changed venus and made decent money.

I've seen two Roadrunner basket cases sit on CL for months at $1200 and $1500, then go on ebay and sell for $3500. In fact there's one on right now.

I love buying vehicles, I have six registered and insured. I just need one more so I'll have one for each day. I do this because money in my pocket will just be wasted on stupid things otherwise...

What I find amusing is tha they are targeting the same market.

The last one down here was a 66 Coronet basket case.
First ad was $600, and ran for a week.
The next week, the $600 ad is gone and new ad, obviously at a different house is up, and the price is $1700. Pics of the car still had tow chains on it.

Really? if you're the only one who wanted it for $600, what makes you think any of the other folks that had a week to look would want it for tripple that?

I am, hwever, kicking myself for a few that have changed venus and made decent money.

I've seen two Roadrunner basket cases sit on CL for months at $1200 and $1500, then go on ebay and sell for $3500. In fact there's one on right now.

Well...I had a '79 D150 with no motor. It was a rust-free truck, and straight save a replacement front fender. Not a bad rig. I listed it on CL for $300. Nothing. No Bites. Nada.

So I pulled it, waited a week, said "What the hell..." and listed it for $750. Same pics, same truck, same seller, same location, same phone number, same ad (price edit, natch), same everything. They fought like dogs for that truck.
I got calls for weeks after the the guy showed up SAME DAY (and paid ca$h with no bargaining) to get it.

Well...I had a '79 D150 with no motor. It was a rust-free truck, and straight save a replacement front fender. Not a bad rig. I listed it on CL for $300. Nothing. No Bites. Nada.

So I pulled it, waited a week, said "What the hell..." and listed it for $750. Same pics, same truck, same seller, same location, same phone number, same ad (price edit, natch), same everything. They fought like dogs for that truck.
I got calls for weeks after the the guy showed up SAME DAY (and paid ca$h with no bargaining) to get it.

Oh my gosh man.you have just been labled a flipper.dont you know you are to lose money and give to the good guys

I'm thinking frame rot...since he missed it the first time and re-discovered it later.

Yeah, that's weird. I've heard from more than one source, "if your car isn't getting any bites, raise the price". Seems so counterintuitive though.....but I think there's some truth there.

Bought a 90 corvette for $800 dollars earlier in the year and fixed all the problems to get thru inspection. The day I flipped it was the same day the house AC went out and had to buy a whole unit (original was 27 years old). So much for car funds.

If it looks as good on the bottom it was well worth the 3 and hell if the 1st seller came down like you said he more than likely sold it for 2500 to this guy.

I have no issue with flipping i have issue with LIARS. the issue with Liars has become my new Demon to tame

I sold my Aspen about a year ago for $1700. The very first caller drove away in it the next day. Two months later, he had the car back on the same local online classifieds where I listed it. He even used a couple of pics from my ad with the car sitting in my driveway. He started at $3500, then 3000, 2500, 2000, 1900(my original asking price) then finally 1500. I don't know if he ever did sell it.

I sold my Aspen about a year ago for $1700. The very first caller drove away in it the next day. Two months later, he had the car back on the same local online classifieds where I listed it. He even used a couple of pics from my ad with the car sitting in my driveway. He started at $3500, then 3000, 2500, 2000, 1900(my original asking price) then finally 1500. I don't know if he ever did sell it.

I find that amusing because I sold a car a few years ago on Ebay in the parts car section and the very next day he listed it back on there in the Chrysler car section. His ad had all of my pics from my ad. It ended at 200 dollars more than my sale to him.

I find that amusing because I sold a car a few years ago on Ebay in the parts car section and the very next day he listed it back on there in the Chrysler car section. His ad had all of my pics from my ad. It ended at 200 dollars more than my sale to him.

With eBay's $125 (I think) car listing fee he really made money didn't he?

this one was up last year(same ohio/michigan viewing area)for months for 1500 then down to 1200....boom gone for a week, then up again with new pictures on a trailer for $3000 earlier this year, sitting at $2700 right now with newer off-the-trailer pictures. would make a great parts car for my '72........but no way in hell id pay that money.
http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/3278365723.html

Which seems to be 95% of the flippers out there.
Seems to be my experience as well, if i like something i will gladly pay a guy that worked hard to get it onto the market. but dang dont tell me it was your grandmothers and the title is 2 years old and says Rufus Lee Jones or some crap.

-
Back