Car show question

-
What good is any car IF you never drive it? Yes I get a thrill fixing any small or large thing on my old cars but nothing like the thrill of actually moving it down the road.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry I have been swamped at work and haven't had a chance to reply yet lol. Im gonna go do it. It looks like a ton of fun even if my car isn't finished. I am gonna work on a few things before tho like the fender gaps are really messed I up iv tried half a dozen times I still haven't got them right. And the hood doesn't close straight. I want to address that. And of course the other stuff like brake leaks and stuff like that lol. The meet every weekend all summer long so im gonna try and get everything done before my next weekend rotation off. I get 4 weekends off then I work four weekends so every other month im off weekends. I would like to go to a couple of them. I think the funniest part (and most nerve racking the first time) will be the 80 mile drive there! thanks for all the positivity and support guys!

i would walk by 2 dozen fresh out of the showroom cars to look at that one
especially if you will be there to point out what you did and are doing to it

and anyone there who restored their car should love it and be like "i remember dealing with that, this is what i did, and, make sure you pay close attention to, and, if i could do it again i would do this instead of that"

of course the check writers will be pissed off but phooey on them
Thanks bud that means alot. Im gonna take it regardless i was just wondering if there was any unwritten rules on the matter like in baseball haha

allright, lets try a different approach...do you trust your boss?

has he seen pictures of your dart?

if both of those are a yes, then why worry?
clearly, if he knows what your car looks like, and he invited you, then dont you think he thinks you will fit in?
Yes I trust him he is a good Christian man and he has only seen pictures of my car. He invited me to go with him with or without my car he said I could ride down with him if I didn't want to take mine. But I kinda want to take mine haha

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry I have been swamped at work and haven't had a chance to reply yet lol. Im gonna go do it. It looks like a ton of fun even if my car isn't finished. I am gonna work on a few things before tho like the fender gaps are really messed I up iv tried half a dozen times I still haven't got them right. And the hood doesn't close straight. I want to address that. And of course the other stuff like brake leaks and stuff like that lol. The meet every weekend all summer long so im gonna try and get everything done before my next weekend rotation off. I get 4 weekends off then I work four weekends so every other month im off weekends. I would like to go to a couple of them. I think the funniest part (and most nerve racking the first time) will be the 80 mile drive there! thanks for all the positivity and support guys!

I get the nerve racking part of the drive. I have never taken my Demon more than 60ish miles in a day. In a month, I have 5 hours each way to Mopars in the Park!

You should take it and go to enjoy yourself. You will probably need to have a thick skin though. This is mine she's just a beater driver going to stay like that I have more fun that way. Didn't win the trophy by the way swiped it from a guy for the picture!

me and my son stephen.jpg

We have some really great shows around me, sometimes I take straight junk. However, there has been some amazing crusies around here during this covid crap. I enjoy them much more than hanging around a parking lot.

You should take it and go to enjoy yourself. You will probably need to have a thick skin though. This is mine she's just a beater driver going to stay like that I have more fun that way. Didn't win the trophy by the way swiped it from a guy for the picture!

View attachment 1715729960
Love it!
I love em all. Shiny, rusty, big, small, whatever.

Lots of shows I go to have an "unfinished" class for cars in process. I always go to see what's up, talk to folks about their cars and offer encouragement to help keep them going. We all had cars that started pretty damned rough - at least yours actually runs!!!

Most of the “shows” around here are cruise-ins so it’s just kinda “bring what you want” the final cruise-in of the year is an actual show with trophy’s (built by a local body shop, not cheap trophy store crap) and they always have a “work in progress” class. I’ve never won with my Duster at that particular show but last year a buddy of mine put on a show and it was sponsored by a local restaurant called The Black Sheep Diner. They had all the typical classes, then also had one called “Black sheep of the bunch” which the owner of the restaurant picked himself. I was surprised when they called my name. There were a few imports there and one of them said they were surprised one of them didn’t get it since this was pretty much the first time it was all American stuff. Later, I was thinking it over and it actually made sense that I one over the imports. I was the only ratty muscle car there and other than a Hellcat Challenger, I was the only Mopar there.

If you’re young you might care about what people think. When you older like me 63, you won’t give a damn.
I definitely appreciate unfinished cars as everything is wide open to view and you can see enough to take their ideas and run with them.

Most of the “shows” around here are cruise-ins so it’s just kinda “bring what you want” the final cruise-in of the year is an actual show with trophy’s (built by a local body shop, not cheap trophy store crap) and they always have a “work in progress” class. I’ve never won with my Duster at that particular show but last year a buddy of mine put on a show and it was sponsored by a local restaurant called The Black Sheep Diner. They had all the typical classes, then also had one called “Black sheep of the bunch” which the owner of the restaurant picked himself. I was surprised when they called my name. There were a few imports there and one of them said they were surprised one of them didn’t get it since this was pretty much the first time it was all American stuff. Later, I was thinking it over and it actually made sense that I one over the imports. I was the only ratty muscle car there and other than a Hellcat Challenger, I was the only Mopar there.

it was probably the wheels that got you that award

tenor.gif

Get everything mechanical the best you can, make sure it fires right up and steers and stops in a safe manner.
Breakdowns from not finishing something is not fun, when you are away from home.

Right on Craig I agree 100% Last car show I went to last year the guy that got the best award never did anything to his car. I did all the work to it and never even got a thank you.
People don't really appreciate auto mechanics or body men. I got out of it ten years ago as a profession...they think its "common knowledge" I always laugh inside when someone tries to tell me about working on cars and how easy it is...I have a Snap on pro box in my garage full of tools paid for. yeah this isnt/wasnt a hobby...i think about getting back into it, but then i think "I dunno the customers were A holes 20 years ago.. probably alot worse now..."

Last edited:
I'd rather look at an older project car at a car show than a late model challenger covered in accessories and LEDs purchased from the 'bling' section at the local O'reilly's.

Now that ya mention it , I suppose a car that would have been the way they were in High school, early mid 80s,paint kinda faded interior lived in etc etc. you know realistic. It is said some guys restore them to better than new, i am a fan of driven, maybe some primer on the quarters, an aftermarket radio, and a Sun Super tach 2 on the column, and maybe a CB radio but that's a little before my time...basically the way i remember the cars when they were on the road and common is cool. I mean for example there were guys and gals with Dusters in High school, but only one 340 that I remember it was nice a 73 red with white interior and stripes. Point is, in school kids didnt all drive the high po stuff.

Another point I found with my rat rod, and any in process car, is it gives hope to those people who want something so bad but all they see are the crazy sticker prices, auction prices, etc. Most of us were/are broke at one point. So many young families sat and talked to me about cost, how to build one like it, etc. Give hope....

Last edited:
Another point I found with my rat rod, and any in process car, is it gives hope to those people who want something so bad but all they see are the crazy sticker prices, auction prices, etc. Most of were/are broke at one point. So many young families sat and talked to me about cost, how to build one like it, etc. Give hope....
So true, it gives people, Dream, Inspire, Motivation.

I would tag along to the first show and get a feel for what kind of club it is. Bunch of snobs or other work in progress. Who wants to talk about how they did their car and how would they feel about your bringing a wip. Then you'll know if you should bring it next time.

Oh man, if the show was full of snobs I would soooooo have to go and take our least pretty car. :D

Now that ya mention it , I suppose a car that would have been the way they were in High school, early mid 80s,paint kinda faded interior lived in etc etc. you know realistic. It is said some guys restore them to better than new, i am a fan of driven, maybe some primer on the quarters, an aftermarket radio, and a Sun Super tach 2 on the column, and maybe a CB radio but that's a little before my time...basically the way i remember the cars when they were on the road and common is cool. I mean for example there were guys and gals with Dusters in High school, but only one 340 that I remember it was nice a 73 red with white interior and stripes. Point is, in school kids didnt all drive the high po stuff.
Well, high school for me was late 70s and early 80s, I was one of maybe 2 that had headers on my car, they were on it when I bought it, a 289 2bbl in a 68 Fairlane 500. We had one kid with a 69 Charger, still not convinced it was his own, one with 71 Scamp 318 3spd stick, one had a 71 Maverick 6 cylinder that we swapped a 302 into. Most of the others had their parents cast offs or old 4 door clunkers. One of my teachers had a 68 Olds 442, bought new, but outside of that mostly grocery getters and little else.

Last edited:
If you’re young you might care about what people think. When you older like me 63, you won’t give a damn.

The earlier someone gets that cars are a matter of taste and what's of interest to someone else can't drive your decisions about your car, the better. Have a great time at the show!!!

Well, high school for me was late 70s and early 80s,

Damn youngster...I was in high school mid-late 70s (now some REAL old fart is gonna tell me to get off their lawn...). I went to the "affluent" high school here. Lots of new stuff with scatterings of old stuff. Friend of mine had a Commando/4sp '67 Barracuda with side pipes. Pipes were gone when I saw the car again in 1984. The BEST row of cars was at a high school across town, topped by a friend of mine with a black '55 Chevy (perhaps the hottest high school car in town at the time - last time I saw him he still had it). One of my favorite teachers had a '65 four speed Corvette that he drove daily, all of a mile from school...

Damn youngster...I was in high school mid-late 70s (now some REAL old fart is gonna tell me to get off their lawn...). I went to the "affluent" high school here. Lots of new stuff with scatterings of old stuff. Friend of mine had a Commando/4sp '67 Barracuda with side pipes. Pipes were gone when I saw the car again in 1984. The BEST row of cars was at a high school across town, topped by a friend of mine with a black '55 Chevy (perhaps the hottest high school car in town at the time - last time I saw him he still had it). One of my favorite teachers had a '65 four speed Corvette that he drove daily, all of a mile from school...

You guys are both old farts...I graduated high school in '99

50 year old car that runs and drives... and you drove it there? Yup.

-
Back