Car starting issues

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
My '73 (318 auto) has some starting issues. The car will not start using the igntion. Instead you have to short out the starter relay to get it to start. How can I fix it? I want to use the ignition and my key.:-D

Make sure the wire on your trans for the neutral safety switch has not falling off.

the relay itself may be the problem. Does it get a hot signal from the ignition switch ? If not the switch in the column is the problem. Those are a real chore to replace but you wont be the first we've talked through that chore.

Does it get a hot signal from the ignition switch ?

I honestly couldn't tell 'ya. I haven't gotten the car home yet but I am very soon. That is the only problem with it so I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

So just some questions. I'm catching a ferry over to Vancouver tomorrow so I can work on it at my grandpa's shop. I hope it's something simple like you guys said, the wire has fallen off or something. I'd like to get it fixed as soon as I can so I can drive it home because going back and forth on the ferry costs me around $15 each way (so $30 for one trip--just me as a foot passenger).

"Make sure the wire on your trans for the neutral safety switch has not falling off."
If it's fallen off, do I just reconnect it and then it'll work? This will be a "permanent" fix right?

"the relay itself may be the problem. Does it get a hot signal from the ignition switch ? If not the switch in the column is the problem. Those are a real chore to replace but you wont be the first we've talked through that chore."
Let's hope it's not that. How much will that cost to replace and how hard is it? Stupid question, what's a "hot signal"?

If the wire has fallen off then yes put it back on there. If it doesn't fit tight you can get a new harness from Evans for pretty cheap:

http://evanswiring.tripod.com/

The relay is easy to replace. Its mounted over there by the battery and has a bunch of wires connected to it.

StarterRelay.jpg

Thanks for the replies! It's a huge help! Quick question, would anyone happen to have a picture of the safety switch wire hooked up so I know what I'm looking for?

Its on the driver's side of the transmission, right above where the trans pan mounts, toward the back.

100_0225.jpg

It sounds as though the ignition is not getting power while the key is in the "start" position. This can be caused by a bad ballast resistor.

Hey T5: In the last picture the part he is showing you is the 3 prong plug that is screwed into the tranny, not the metal looking piece. His arrow should have ran on over to the 3 prong thing. That metal piece is linkage. Good luck and keep firin the questions. These guys are the best in the business and on the web and they like to help.

So the wire goes into the 3 pronged plug? Where does the wire come from? Incase I have to go looking for it haha.

This is your ballast resistor. It may have either 2 prongs or 4.

31FAAAEK50L._SL160_AA160_.jpg

This is where it is most likely mounted.

DSC01521-1-1.jpg

Super easy to replace, just unplug the two wires, unscrew the resistor from the firewall, screw the new one to the firewall, plug the wires back in. 5 minutes, probably about $10?

The balast does not stop it from turning over... just firing. If it runs, the resistor is fine. Also, to test to see if it's bad, simply connect the two plugs with a jumper. Dont run it forever like that, but it's fine to diagnose iot that way.

Mopers right, I had it reversed. And it will not prevent the starter from turning over.

I honestly couldn't tell 'ya. I haven't gotten the car home yet but I am very soon. That is the only problem with it so I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with it.
Lets dont go crawling under the car yet. You know where the start relay is cause you've been jumping it.
There is a small brown or tan wire on it that comes from that switch on the trans. Pull that wire off the relay and poke the pointed end of your test light in it. Touch the clipped end to the positive battery post. If the test light glows the neutral safety switch is supplying ground (thats all it supposed to do) If the test light doesn't glow , now you can crawl under the car. Or just use a piece of wire from that terminal on the relay to any ground and try starting. Be waned, this jumper would allow starting in gear.
Next test...
There is a small yellow wire on the relay also that should get a positive signal from the column mounted switch. Pull that connecter off the relay and put the pointed end of test light in it. Prop it up so you can see it but keep its raw metal shaft off of grounds. I like to wrap most of that shaft with electric tape. Anyway... Now place its ground clip on the negative battery terminal and turn your key to start. If the test light glows the column switch is proved good. If no glow , into the column we go. Good luck

-
Back