car still diseling run on prob

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Im getting tired of all this trying to fix the run on problems. I wish I just keep the 318. I adjust the idle mixture screw and it wont start sometimes, then I adjust it again so It starts fine and idles, but then it idles low at like 500-600.. If i put more it gets to 700 or 800 but then when hot it goes even higher and then I get the run on problem. Im getting so frustrated. And is 1 3/4 turns on the idle mixture scres ok? thats were I get the most vac.

maybe my spark plugs are too hot? maybe I need to step down?

Timing set? If it is a straight drive let the clutch out a little so to put a slight load on the motor right before you shut it off... I bet it won't run on then.

check timing.......sounds like you know how to adjust the carb with the vacuum gauge......check the carb after timing is adjusted.....

i will check timming because i know i can put more idle in it with initial timming.

yes sort of, I believe I had to put the choke on to start it after a drive.

Plugs won't make it diesel......you have a timing issue....make sure you disconnect the vacuum at dist and plug at carb...before timing it

I would say it's probably idling too high, and also if it's running too lean, that will make the combustion chamber hotter, causing some of the carbon to act as a "glow plug". I try to get my idle down pretty low and set the idle mixture at the RPM "peak".......and like was mentioned, do your timing first.

I can't stand hearing an engine idling super lean......all shaky and nervous. Give it what it wants! Peak that RPM and vacuum!

When i peak the vaccum its at 1 3/4 turns on the screws is that a tad lean?

It doesn't matter the number of turns.....as long as RPM and vacuum are peaked out and it runs smooth. Sometimes you'll need to go back and adjust (drop down) the idle speed as you turn out the mixture screws. I think I set mine around 625~650 RPM in neutral.

Im getting tired of all this trying to fix the run on problems. I wish I just keep the 318. I adjust the idle mixture screw and it wont start sometimes, then I adjust it again so It starts fine and idles, but then it idles low at like 500-600.. If i put more it gets to 700 or 800 but then when hot it goes even higher and then I get the run on problem. Im getting so frustrated. And is 1 3/4 turns on the idle mixture scres ok? thats were I get the most vac.

You need to set the idle when the motor is hot then ajust the choke and fast idle screw so it will start and run when cold.

Ooo got it thanks guys i will get more info and report back. Also one of the times this happened i got a puff of white smoke out of the carb:/

Idle rpm too high causes run on and engine temperature can cause both run on and varying idle rpm. I have to ask what you have for a temp gauge and / or if its running too hot.
I had similar problems once upon a time. That was when the factory temp gauge was lieing to me. A new radiater solved all that wierdness.

i have a autometer and it. Said 190 but yesterday was riding 200

run on is usually related to the carb having to be open too far at idle, and that is usually from not enough initial timing. The issue is the engine has enough inertia to continue to draw fuel thru the boosters after the idnition is shut down, and the chamber has a hot spot of two enough to light the mixture. So, try a cooler set of plugs, more initial timing, and re-adjust the idle speed and mixture. What engine is this again?

Plugs won't make it diesel?Inferior or improper plugs will make it diesel.Although I would check the timing first.Then I would make sure and run good fuel and it would not hurt to dump some additive in your fuel tank to help clean the carbon off your pistons and valves.Then if it still diesels put some cooler Champion plugs.My fathers Hemi was dieseling pretty bad I put in more timing and adjusted the idle and that took care of most of it.It still would diesel sometimes so I put a cooler plug in it and it has not dieseled since.That was two years ago. Jim

this is what i got today
just put a 195 thermostat in it was a 180
I just put new float needles and o rings in
its a msd non vac dizzy
it has a light silver and light blue springs with black bushing
it has fire core wires and 5224 autolites with .40 gap

some other people said that also, but waggin and his friend both have cars with 10.5 compression and are running 87-9 octane in florida and im in CA. So Im going to check other things first also.

-
Back