Car Weight

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I weighed my new project at the county dump today. (I thought they might try to keep it, lol.) 2760# without me (I'm 200), 1/4 tank of gas.

-74 Dart Sport cloned into 71-71 Duster.
-Fiberglass hood (lift-off), fenders, and bumpers.
-Aluminum bumper brackets.
-72 doors. (no crash beam)
-Prostar wheels.
-No wipers, radio or heater.
-Corbeau buckets, no back seat.
-360, 727. (maybe 400 hp?)
-Headers, turbo mufflers, dumped.
-Aluminum intake, iron heads.
-Wilwood front discs.

I was kind of surprised it's not heavier. I've only had one other a-body weighed; a stock 72 Demon 340 w/ 727. I think it was about 3500? But that's been a long time ago, and I don't remember if I was in it, or how much gas was in it.

I'll get to the track in the Spring. :steering:
1668483224582.png

DARN - your Duster/Dart is light!!!
I weighed my '67 Fastback out at SRCA in Kansas during Rocky Mountain Raceweek. With me in it, the weight was 3,740. I weigh between 225-230. That puts the car in the 3,500 range. It is currently all steel, including a mild steel 8 point roll bar. 440 w/ aluminum heads, 727, Strange S-60 rear end. One of the off season projects is to get change to a pin-on fiberglass hood and MAYBE pin-on deck lid.

20220617_161943.jpg

DARN - your Duster/Dart is light!!!
I weighed my '67 Fastback out at SRCA in Kansas during Rocky Mountain Raceweek. With me in it, the weight was 3,740. I weigh between 225-230. That puts the car in the 3,500 range. It is currently all steel, including a mild steel 8 point roll bar. 440 w/ aluminum heads, 727, Strange S-60 rear end. One of the off season projects is to get change to a pin-on fiberglass hood and MAYBE pin-on deck lid.

View attachment 1716010798
Yeah but you got the equalizer stickin through the hood! lol

Last edited:
I was very surprised when I weighed my son's 73 Scamp. Quarter tank of fuel, full interior, all steel and glass, 6.1 Hemi, 904, 8 3/4. 3140 lbs. I would've thought closer to 3400.

A bodies are usually much heavier than people think. IIRC my 68 fastback started at 3614 with me, I’m 245 lbs. That is stock in regards to weight, 1/2 a tank of gas, small block/727/8 3/4”/power steering. Now its 3353 lbs with me, 904/aluminum shaft/2-3 gallons of fuel, manual steering and some carbon fiber interior parts.

I don’t know how you guys get these fat cars. My sons 360 duster weights 3200 pounds with him in it (150 pounds). Stock glass, heavy six pak hood, steel bumpers with stock brackets, 727 transmission, factory bucket seat one race seat, rear back seat, 8 point mild steel roll bar, factory dual piston disk brakes up
Front, full 8 gallon cell, factory carpet, caltracks with mono link bars, frames connectors.

I don’t know how you guys get these fat cars. My sons 360 duster weights 3200 pounds with him in it (150 pounds). Stock glass, heavy six pak hood, steel bumpers with stock brackets, 727 transmission, factory bucket seat one race seat, rear back seat, 8 point mild steel roll bar, factory dual piston disk brakes up
Front, full 8 gallon cell, factory carpet, caltracks with mono link bars, frames connectors.
I expected my car to be under 3500 - heck i dont even have the back seat in mine. The only thing i can think of with regard to my Fastback, is that the rear of the Fastback might have more structural bracing than some of the other body styles? Also, the interior of the fastback in the rear compartment has steel panels. I'm sure they add 30 or 40 lbs.

73 Duster. 3680 with me. Light cars my ***!
I agree. My 73 dart swinger all steel with 2 front seats, aluminum headed 440/ 727 transmission, 8-3/4 , weld wheels etc. Weighed 3520 with me in it. The dart was striped out. Meaning no heater etc and no roll bar.
My old 65 plymouth Belvedeere II race car was pretty much the same as my 73 dart, but the 65 had a Dana 60. 10 point Roll bar and a fiber glass hood/ scoop. With me in the 65 it weighed 3420. I allways thought it was strange that my 65 plymouth B body weighed less than my Abody. Lol

I understand big block cars being heavy and it’s one of the big reasons I always recommend small block a body cars for anything high 9 second or slower drag cars. 2nd reason is they are harder to work on.

Never put mine on scales hopefully this spring, 74 big block aluminum heads,intake water pump and radiator I'm thinking with my heavy 225lb *** 3,500ish. And I find it much easier to work on than the 360 that was in it.

I need to get Vixen over to the scales at the scrap place and see what she weighs. I imagine with the stock jack, aluminum floor jack, spare, car covers, folding chairs and crap, she's picked up a few pounds. Still should be under 3K though.

Coming from someone that built, maintained, and calibrated all types of scales during my millwright years scrap scales aren’t the most accurate scales in the world. Just throwing this out there.

And I find it much easier to work on than the 360 that was in it.
I had a 69 Dart 440. It had fenderwell headers. They made it easy to work on, but not street friendly with the tire clearance problem.
I never weighed that one. I owned that in about 83-85. I gave up when I had 5K in it. All it needed was a trans, rear gears and paint. At the time, I couldn't justify putting more money in it. :BangHead:
Coming from someone that built, maintained, and calibrated all types of scales during my millwright years scrap scales aren’t the most accurate scales in the world. Just throwing this out there.
I'm thinking that maybe scrap yard scales are light and county dump scales heavy? Not that they intend to, but the yards would pay out less, and the county would pull more in. All accidentally, of course. :rolleyes:

My Colt
2212, with driver, helmet, 4 gallons of gas.
2036 without driver.
1023 Front.
1013 Rear.
Xtreme 22 Nov.jpg

Reading all of this, I thought I'd post what I recorded for weights, as I built mine. All weighed on a beam-type scale, like doctors had back in the dark ages.

Remember, I started with a 74 Dart Sport.

-Hood 61
-Hood hinges, latch, etc. 10
-Doors 74's- 84
I used 72's- 73 (No crash beam)
(Driver's door w/ mirror and glass, complete.)
-Bumpers, including brackets - Front 62 Rear 82 (Crash bumper bs.)
-Fenders (inc. headlight bucket) 22
-Wilwood front discs were 39 lighter than 10" drums
- I scraped about 20 pounds of undercoating off of it when I had more time than money.

The glass stuff. I didn't weigh. The hood is a light weight "race" lift off. The fenders are pretty skimpy too.
The bumper brackets are now aluminum Lingenfelter. (FABO member)

A couple other related items; it has a 9" Ford., mounted on original slant 6 leaves w/ clamps.
It has no wipers, heater or radio. (radio delete car)
It has subframe connectors. No roll bar. I really don't want to get into that seat belt-every-two-years baloney. I don't go to the track much. Bad enough my 10 year old, perfect, only worn a few times helmet is no good. :mad:
I could save a lot with a 904 trans and aluminum heads. Neither are in the budget!! It is what it is because I used running gear from a totaled pro street D150.

Last edited:
-
Back