Car You Took Your Driver's License Test With

-
Probly get almost as many high school kids in that Fury as we did that '48 Dodge Sedan my friend Tom had :lol:
I would get calls from buddies that would see the car cruising through town during school lunch breaks. They said my sons would have an entourage of friends piled in there. Like eight or more. Smiling ear to ear.

42 years ago, I got my "Class 5" DL in my Mom's 65 Mercury Park Lane. A huge boat but it went pretty good with the 390 4bbl and power everything. A total make-out mobile.
1965-Mercury-Park-Lane-Sedan-White-5.23.2014-007.jpg

A few months before getting the vehicle license, I passed my "Class 6" Motorcycle license test on my Honda Trail 70. The cones were a snap.
1969-honda-trail-70_1.jpg

Took my test in the 1975 Scamp my grandmother bought off the showroom floor which is the same Scamp I’ve got now.

My older brother came over my dads house to get me because we were taking my fathers '65 Malibu. It had a flat, and it was late so we wound up taking my brothers '59 Dodge, the friggin thing was like the queen mary .. I thought this is going to be a disaster.. but at 16 years and 15 days I got my license :)

003.jpg

1988 cougar. Worked my butt off at McDonald’s and bought out my stepfathers lease

A pacer! Made both my kids take it in my cobalt ss stick car. Now they both drive sticks and hate automatics!:rofl:

1970 Lincoln Continental coupe. 460 engine was a tire-shredder. But it was a barge! Car looked like this one, same color & everything:
1970-lincoln-continental-coupe-not-a-mark-iii-1.jpg

1985. I think it was in my Dads company car, a 76 Celica GT 5sp. like this....
View attachment 1715370989
or, it would have been in this barge, Mom's 76 Lincoln Town car! I'm thinking the Celica but I drove both. That is weird that I cannot remember something like that as it was yesterday....but I do remember passing first time. Try parallel parking that yacht!
View attachment 1715370990
Similar situation at our house. Learners permit driving and practice was almost entirely on our '69 Belvidere. Then practiced, especially parallel parking and K-turns, and took the test with the K-car.
It didn't hurt the township high school had driver's ed classes. I want to say those cars were Aspens/Valaries or something similar.

1962 Chrysler Newport, 383, 8 3/4 suregrip, push button trans. I loved that car, got hit a couple years later and it was totaled.

upload_2019-7-30_8-22-1.jpeg

Got home from school and dad's car was home. Asked mom where her car was. She said dad had it, threw me the keys to dad's 66 fury iii and said let's go get your license. Mom had a 76 coronet. The fury had less blind spots. Lol. Kicker is my brother and I swapped a 383 into it a week earlier while dad was on a fishing trip.

Not the actual car, but one just like it. 1977 Chrysler Cordoba. Took my drivers test in 1986.
c71cd933775d57288acc3559245ea0c9.jpg

1st car I ever drove was a 64 mercury 4door comet. I attempted to take my 2 sisters to the store, I made it as far as the front porch across the street didn’t quit hit the door though. I was 7 years old my sisters where 4 and 2.

Our oldest son, Jake, learned to drive in and tested in my 89 Shelby Dakota 7 years ago. He drove it to school 1st half of his senior year, until we had his 65 B'cuda done.

The Shelby needs paint and stripes again. Every gasket on the motor is leaking. Our next son is just 11. In 3 years, we are going to begin to tear it down and freshen it up so he can learn and test in it.

My Uncles 76 Cordoba. Mom and Dad wouldn't let me drive one of their cars so I called him up and asked. Passed the first time even Though I had never driven the car before. Looked Just like this one
e70c51bf8157c2e3f687be661756b9c1.jpg

we still had drivers ed in HS too, we could drive an AMC Eagle auto or a Toyota stick. We had to change a tire to pass too! Great class. We all had to jack and break 1 lug nut and the biggest person would tighten them all after every one had a turn. our simulator was all chrysler. I still remember the steering wheels and the A100 A/T shifter out the dash. heck the seats were probably A100's too!

-
Back