Carb jetting/popping bacon sound

-

wickduster

Reaction score
I have a 1404 edelbrock which is 500 cfm on a crate 360.The intake is an edelbrock rpm air gap. It seems to be running rich, and is sounds like bacon cooking (the small popping sound) I noticed while I'm trying to adjust it. Its doesn't seem to matter if I adjust the air fuel mix screws in or out. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what jets are in it yet. But I am thinking of doing a rebuild on the carb. But what would cause that popping sound? would a simple re-jet solve that? I also have a q-jet that i have been hanging on to for no reason. Its a 1974 q-jet and wonder if I should rebuild that instead.? But this being my first real mopar I did not want to cross some unspoken NO NOs. :sad5: Being that I was once an old chev. guy:banghead: What do you guys think?

I'd check fuel pressure first and limit it to 5 psi.

If it's got low vacuum at idle, that could cause other issues too. Step up springs too stiff.

Generally, the popping/ frying means that raw fuel is siphoning "over the top" into the boosters. Sometimes you can SEE drops of fuel falling into the throats

This is caused by leaking needle/ seats, garbage in them, too much fuel pressure, damaged/ leaking brass floats, or "fuel logged" foam floats, or just plain too high float level.

What do you think about doing a rebuild on a 1404 edelbrock vs a q-jet?

As far's I'm concerned, both carbs are very easy to work on. The early QJs were plagued by leaking out the body plugs, but I've not had problems with anything made after, ??70?? or so

Ya know, people today seem to have trouble with carbs, but I can still remember when some of my friends had old (55-6) Ferds, and they used THIS Holley POS, and I do mean, POS, known UN affectionately as "the teapot"

The "exploded" view, an ironic word if I ever heard one:

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/TypicalViews/images/ExplodedDiagrams_0022.jpg

55FordH4000.jpg

I just repaired the same sound using stop leak in my radiator. The outer exhaust manifold bolt (it is a stud from the factory) that passes thru to the water jacket was allowing just a small bit of water (steam) to drip out causing a sound that sounded like bacon frying. It took months for me to finally figure out where it was coming from.

I just repaired the same sound using stop leak in my radiator. The outer exhaust manifold bolt (it is a stud from the factory) that passes thru to the water jacket was allowing just a small bit of water (steam) to drip out causing a sound that sounded like bacon frying. It took months for me to finally figure out where it was coming from.

For next time---------------

real easy for stuff like this and exhaust leaks. Just take a length of scrap fuel hose, hold it up to one ear, and probe around. Incredibly effective

-
Back