Carb suggestion for 360

-

Raupleminze

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The time has come to select a carb for the Demon. The car will mostly be a cruiser with occasional strip time. Here are the engine specs:

360 Plate Honed-Decked Square
.040 over KB #107 Flat top pistons
File Fit Rings 5/64's
Stock Rods Resized w/ARP Bolts
Stock 360 Crank 010/010
Clevite Bearings
New Standard Volume Pump
Stock Pan w/New Pickup
Comp Double Roller Timing Set
Mopar Chain Tensioner
Mopar Performance Hydraulic Roller Cam
230-234 @ 050 464 478 Lift 107 LSA
Mopar Stamped Rockers 1.5 Ratio
New SBI Lifters
"587" 360 Heads 1.88-1.60 Valve
Crane Springs, B Ported and Gasket Matched
74 cc

The engine is backed by a 727 and 8-3/4.

Here is the carb that the builder suggested, any feedback? Would I have to hook up the manual choke or will the carb function without it hooked up?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1805/overview/

I was guessing that a 650 cfm carb would be a good size for the engine. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Thanks guys! Intake is an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap. It is a 3.55 posi in an 8-3/4 and I cannot recall what the converter is. I will have to look through my notes.

Thanks,
Brian

Im also using the rpm air gap with 355, My converter was a 2200 built, set up works great.

I like the Holley 80457 600 vac secondary with electric choke. Usually under $300.

I put a "Street Demon" 625cfm on my 360/325 Magnum with a 727....vacuum secondarys and electric choke. Love it. easy to tune and Car goes like a raped ape.

If you wanna run with the big dawgs, you gotta get off the porch.

Attachments

• BO MAX.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 406
Hey Brian, I just noticed that you are from IL...

What part? I'm in the south west burbs of Chicago.

Depends on the usage of your car. Engine seems like a good street build. What is the compression, converter stall and upper RPM going to be? A smaller carb will give you better air velocity and throttle response and possibly slightly better fuel economy. Any thing from the 600cfm mentioned up to a 770 Avenger will work. Your intake will flow more than your going to use, based on the rest of the engine specs, so the additional flow a bigger carb provides on the top end probably is not needed here. With your specs I would stay to the smaller end of the scale unless you are planning on a bigger cam, head work and compression (higher RPM operating range) in the future.

Theromoquad/quadrajet, as inertia suggested, holley 3310 is cool too. Whatever you choose, take the time to really learn how to tune it.

Theromoquad/quadrajet, as inertia suggested, holley 3310 is cool too. Whatever you choose, take the time to really learn how to tune it.

X2 on the Thermoquad. I've got one on my 360 and the engine loves it. Thermoquad properly set up work as good as anything else IMHO and experience. Check with HARMS Auto, he knows these inside and out.
Lots of information on these and Mopar Action I believe did an article on rebuilding one and they were very pleased with how it made the engine perform. No sound quite like a Thermoquad with those secondaries kicking in.
transman

Not slamming anyone's choice of carbs, I know a lot of guys prefer Holleys, but there is nothing wrong with running the Edelbrock carbs. They are a modern version of a proven carb. I ran the 600 cfm version on my 340 for the last seven years. You give up some adjust ability but it was pretty much, set it and forget it. And when I sold it three months ago for $100, it was a perfectly functioning carb with plenty of miles left in it.

My builder recommended the Edelbrock 1812 for my 408 so that is what we went with. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to let you know how it performs.

I'm sorry,, but I never get over the grin on a guy's face after I put on,, and custom tune a Holley..

It's really gratifying to see that **** faced grin... lol,.. and I can't imagine the face, if I took a Holley off,, and put on a AFB/Eddy... I just can't imagine,, it wouldn't be good, and it wouldn't be a grin, that's for damn sure.. ..

hope it helps.. lol

I run a 770 Holley street avenger and love it. It a everyday driver/car I run at the track. I had a edlebrock on it and it ran like crap. The eddy was good for the stock engine.

For drivability you can't beat a 600 Edelbrock.

But he built a 360..

If he wanted to use a 600 ish carb,, he shoulda built a 318, dontcha think?

If he put all that money into building a strong motor, why not finish the deal and put a reasonable sized carb on it, that will awe him,, and anyone else.. It's like putting on single exhaust... ?

And as to the "crispness" of the smaller carbs,, In my experience a little time spent with a smaller squirter, and/or smaller primary jets, will make the big carb as "crisp" as the smaller carb.. jmo

hope it helps..

Ditto Inertia !!!!! Seem to see that a lot on here,Might as well put stock manifolds on with a crossover and stock muffler,Motors are air pumps but you got to get the air in somehow.

But he built a 360..

If he wanted to use a 600 ish carb,, he shoulda built a 318, dontcha think?

If he put all that money into building a strong motor, why not finish the deal and put a reasonable sized carb on it, that will awe him,, and anyone else.. It's like putting on single exhaust... ?

And as to the "crispness" of the smaller carbs,, In my experience a little time spent with a smaller squirter, or smaller primary jets, will make the big carb as "crisp" as the smaller carb.. jmo

hope it helps..

Over carbing hurts you throughout the RPM band, under carbing only hurts on the top end.

Some people like to run bigger carbs and some like smaller ones. Personal preference.

I've tried 6 different edelbrock carbs on 3 different motors and they were all junk. I went back to holley and wouldn't give 5 bucks for all the edelbrock carbs ever made. I have heard if you can find a good one they work well but chances of finding a good one are very slim...

-
Back