Carb suggestion for 360

-
I've tried 6 different edelbrock carbs on 3 different motors and they were all junk. I went back to holley and wouldn't give 5 bucks for all the edelbrock carbs ever made. I have heard if you can find a good one they work well but chances of finding a good one are very slim...

And I'll buy ALL the junk Edelbrocks you can gather for $6.00 each!

Over carbing hurts you throughout the RPM band, under carbing only hurts on the top end.

Some people like to run bigger carbs and some like smaller ones. Personal preference.

The Holley 3310/780, LD340, and Headers were recommended back in the 69/70 Mopar Hustle Catalog, for the 340..

They didn't over carb then,, and they don't now...

I just took 3 of them to the scrapper because I couldn't give them away. If I come across anymore I'll let you know SGBARRACUDA;)

I just took 3 of them to the scrapper because I couldn't give them away. If I come across anymore I'll let you know SGBARRACUDA;)

Thanks, They are the easiest carb to rebuild and tune. The problem with them is when they sit and gum up the low speed jets clog up. easy fix.

I rebuilt one three times and nothing I did changed it at all. I will agree they are simple to rebuild with very few parts but adjusting/tuning is a total PIA! You have to disassemble half the carb to change float levels/change anything. Holley way easier to adjust/tune but harder by far to rebuild. The rebuild kit costs 80 bucks to compared to 50 bucks for a holley. I just never had one I could get to do anything and have had better luck with a holley.

It's a known fact that just like camshafts, you will be much happier with too small a carburetor than too big. Although I prefer Holleys and Thermoquads, Roy is right. Te simplicity of the Edelbrocks in unmatched. They also have a frigton of tuning parts readily available. If you find you cannot build one, don't toss it. Sell it to someone who can use it.

I've tried 6 different edelbrock carbs on 3 different motors and they were all junk. I went back to holley and wouldn't give 5 bucks for all the edelbrock carbs ever made. I have heard if you can find a good one they work well but chances of finding a good one are very slim...

my 1406 is going on 12 yrs old....been on 2 different cars...with 3 difference engine...only minor tuning needed to adjust for different engines...

I have replaced the top gasket once due to changing jets...and have changed step up springs and meter rods...with electric choke...Duster fires right up and fast idle works too...after a few seconds or so...hit the throttle and it comes off the fast idle...amazing...must be the only one working...I should sell it for a million...since it is one of one...LOL

It's all personal preference really...Holleys have treated me OK at best in the past...

It's all personal preference really...Holleys have treated me OK at best in the past...

I got one eddy...one carter...one thermoquad...and probably 12 holleys....

I like holley carbs..but nothing wrong with this eddy...and driving day to day...a 600 carb is going to work just fine....if you are going racing...i would go with a 750 holley dp...

in fact went i have taken that duster to the races...the eddy comes off and a 750 dp goes on...

I rebuilt one three times and nothing I did changed it at all. I will agree they are simple to rebuild with very few parts but adjusting/tuning is a total PIA! You have to disassemble half the carb to change float levels/change anything. Holley way easier to adjust/tune but harder by far to rebuild. The rebuild kit costs 80 bucks to compared to 50 bucks for a holley. I just never had one I could get to do anything and have had better luck with a holley.

Man where are you buying Edelbrock kits at? Check out this link. $20.00 free shipping!

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-Carburetor-Rebuild-Kit-EDL1477-/171245841640?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27df0c2ce8&vxp=mtr"]Edelbrock Carburetor Rebuild Kit EDL1477 | eBay[/ame]

I guess I'm just thinking of what the OP asked.. This person has spent a lotta $$ on building an engine,, and has probably gone to bed with thoughts of his eyeballs being pressed into the back of his head when he steps on it.. So.. why not let him have his dream.. Suggesting a carb that leaves so much on the table,, he'll probably live with it,, believing he's getting what he dreamed of,, when there is so much more avail... I just believe in fulfilling my customer's dream...

The Holley 3310/780, LD340, and Headers were recommended back in the 69/70 Mopar Hustle Catalog, for the 340..

They didn't over carb then,, and they don't now...

According to this chart at Holley, a 350 CID engine will require just over 600 cfm at 6000 RPM running at 100% efficiency. Now you adjust for the 10 extra cubic inches for the 360, you get 617 CFM at 6000 RPM for 100% efficiency. Then factor it by 85% for a high performance street engine and you get 524 CFM.

The only engine that I know of that had 100% volumetric efficiency was the Max Wedge engines at 6500 RPM. They can't even get 100% efficiency out of today's engines with new technology and computer controls.

[ame]http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Selecting%20A%20Carburetor.pdf[/ame]

Some people like to run the 3310 on the 340's and that is fine. It's their personal preference. Everyone has different goals/expectations for their engines and may do what they want with them.

Hey guys,

The time has come to select a carb for the Demon. The car will mostly be a cruiser with occasional strip time. Here are the engine specs:

360 Plate Honed-Decked Square
.040 over KB #107 Flat top pistons
File Fit Rings 5/64's
Stock Rods Resized w/ARP Bolts
Stock 360 Crank 010/010
Clevite Bearings
New Standard Volume Pump
Stock Pan w/New Pickup
Comp Double Roller Timing Set
Mopar Chain Tensioner
Mopar Performance Hydraulic Roller Cam
230-234 @ 050 464 478 Lift 107 LSA
Mopar Stamped Rockers 1.5 Ratio
New SBI Lifters
"587" 360 Heads 1.88-1.60 Valve
Crane Springs, B Ported and Gasket Matched
74 cc

The engine is backed by a 727 and 8-3/4.

Here is the carb that the builder suggested, any feedback? Would I have to hook up the manual choke or will the carb function without it hooked up?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1805/overview/

I was guessing that a 650 cfm carb would be a good size for the engine. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Your builder is a wise man. The Edel 650 AVS Thunder Series is a great carb, and will work on your combination well. I run one on my 360, and am very pleased with it. Another plus is it hooks right up to the factory linkage without any fuss. For your build, and what you want to do with it, the Ede 650 will be hard to beat.

According to this chart at Holley, a 350 CID engine will require just over 600 cfm at 6000 RPM running at 100% efficiency. Now you adjust for the 10 extra cubic inches for the 360, you get 617 CFM at 6000 RPM for 100% efficiency. Then factor it by 85% for a high performance street engine and you get 524 CFM.

The only engine that I know of that had 100% volumetric efficiency was the Max Wedge engines at 6500 RPM. They can't even get 100% efficiency out of today's engines with new technology and computer controls.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Selecting A Carburetor.pdf

Some people like to run the 3310 on the 340's and that is fine. It's their personal preference. Everyone has different goals/expectations for their engines and may do what they want with them.

Using your same formula for a 383,, you get 656 cfm, factored by 85% is 558 cfm. - for 383.. hmmm ..

How would you explain this dyno sheet,, same 383 engine,, diff carbs,, are they all overcarbing/choking the engine.. ???

383dynoCarbs.jpg

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/25.html

The chart speaks for itself..

Have any of you folks touting how good your car runs with a 600ish carb,, and I'm sure they run fine,, but how many of you have actually put a 750 ish carb on your cars,, and then taken them off, replacing them with 600ish carb,, because the 600 gives you more power.??

My bet is if you put a 700ish carb on, tune it properly, you'll never go back,, unless of course, you don't know how to custom tune it..

I'm sure the machinist's suggestion will make it run fine,, if fine is what you'll settle for,, but if the OP had a dream..

I prefer awesome..

hope it helps..

The OP asked for "Thoughts? Other suggestions?" And this is exactly what everyone here including me, have given. Most will suggest what they personally like. Now he just needs to determine which way to go. I ran both Holley and Carter type carbs. In my street cruiser I run a 1406 Edelbrock. 360 A/C, P/S, P/DB, Auto, Dart. on my 470 race car a 1150 Dominator. I think the carb suggested by his builder is a good choice.

:violent1:all this talk about holly made me all tingly inside, because i have a holly on my motor too, but i digress, its only a 1 bbl...lol

I don't think it matters which direction you go as long as you have "enough" cfm but not too much. What matters is that you have some knowledge of carburetors (or find someone who does). I like the swap-meet holley Idea. Vacuum secondary would be my choice but if you have the knowledge you could make any carb work for you. I have an addiction to Quadra-jet carburetors myself but that is because I have a lot of experience with them. I usually pay about $15 for one at a swap meet. Yes they are hard to tune but they really work good on the street once you get one dialed in.

I did it the "no argument way". I brought my dart to the strip. It had a mild 360 with 3.91's and 10 inch street fighter torque converter. I brought with me a 625 carter. On the car was a 750 dp Holley. The difference???? About exactly one and a half tenths, and 1 mph in favor of the 750 dp. I felt if the 625 would have been jetted a little richer, it would have done a little better and perhaps ran the same numbers as the Holley. Both carbs ran the car like fuel injection. That car has been sold. I now have a 600 eddy and a 770 street avenger holley, and BOTH carbs run like fuel injection.

I did it the "no argument way". I brought my dart to the strip. It had a mild 360 with 3.91's and 10 inch street fighter torque converter. I brought with me a 625 carter. On the car was a 750 dp Holley. The difference???? About exactly one and a half tenths, and 1 mph in favor of the 750 dp. I felt if the 625 would have been jetted a little richer, it would have done a little better and perhaps ran the same numbers as the Holley. Both carbs ran the car like fuel injection. That car has been sold. I now have a 600 eddy and a 770 street avenger holley, and BOTH carbs run like fuel injection.

I agree, it's like the Ford,Chevy,Mopar argument. It comes down to what you like!

hey there i run a holley 750 on my built 360 aswell does my friend and i know two other guys that run them on there 340's and there all setup and tuned by ( Inertia ) he tuned my engine and switch out my edddy 600 for a 750 and the same with my other friends and there was a night and day difference i dont think i would have ever seen the full potential of my engine without it to each there own but from what i have seen its the way to go for sure

hey there i run a holley 750 on my built 360 aswell does my friend and i know two other guys that run them on there 340's and there all setup and tuned by ( Inertia ) he tuned my engine and switch out my edddy 600 for a 750 and the same with my other friends and there was a night and day difference i dont think i would have ever seen the full potential of my engine without it to each there own but from what i have seen its the way to go for sure

Really ?
We are suppose to take advice from someone that doesn't even tune his own cars ?
Hmm. :sad1:

Nice one I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be one when I need someone to help me with things he's the guy I trust to work on my car , beak all you want it doesn't bother me

Read everything everyone has said, now get the gritty truth; if you like to play with your carb all day instead of drive your car, get a holly. If you want to set it and forget it, get something else like an eddy or TQ. For the track, get a Demon, holly or a TQ. Daily driving a car with a big toilet sitting on your intake sucks! I spent the 70's and 80's behind the counter of a parts store talking people out of big cams and big carbs on street cars.

Funny, my holleys rarely if ever need any adjusting.

Unfortunately very few people can really dial in a set up. Timing being the biggest turd in the sandbox!

Nice one I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be one when I need someone to help me with things he's the guy I trust to work on my car , beak all you want it doesn't bother me

Don't sell yourselfs short,, you guys did a great job putting that car together,, I just made it run like it should..

Thnx for the kind words,, appreciate it..

cheers

-
Back