carburator or fuel injection debate.

-
Love efi and carbs. However, I'd never use that pump inline. Either a surge tank or an in tank pump. The supplied pump strapped to the frame rail is kind of a crappy solution IMHO. It's going to cost you more in parts to do it right.

Love efi and carbs. However, I'd never use that pump inline. Either a surge tank or an in tank pump. The supplied pump strapped to the frame rail is kind of a crappy solution IMHO. It's going to cost you more in parts to do it right.

Some vehicles came right from the factory with a frame mounted EFI pump. That badass pump Walbro makes that MadDart uses is total badassary and it's an inline pump. Long as you get it close to the tank as you can, it should be fine.

I am an old fart too. I like to fix things once. With the modern gas carbs need chronic care. Carb kit component suppliers have done a poor job of material compatibility with modern fuel, things like foam floats, gaskets, diaphrams, pump seals. EFI systems tolerate the modern fuel.

The efi on my daily drivers, gives me the time I need to keep up with all the small engine carbs.... I live on a farm and have way too much small engine equipment.

You got THAT right. Where you see a kit that says "Ethanol Friendly" or some such, it's usually anything but. I think they simply added that phrase to sell more stuff.

And don't get me started on what ethanol will do to a small engine. My GOD. I repair small engines as a hobby to help folks out around here and ethanol eats small engines for lunch. I am constantly replacing fuel line, rebuilding carburetors and even the occasional engine rebuild all because of ethanol.

I just recently had to replace a power head unit in my own yard equipment fleet, because the cylinder was scored so badly that it would not even FIRE anymore. It was about five years old. That really pissed me off.

I agree 100% with all you say regarding EFI, but I will remain stubborn. I would much rather tinker with carburetors, than re-educate myself with something I am not 100% on solid ground about. My mind ain't the sponge it once was when I was younger. lol

I have done my share of drivability work......and I have to admit, I am really pretty good at it. Which makes me really understand how rare it is to find people who actually know it WELL, because I really do not, yet I have had above average success doing it.

The one person I did know who was the absolute best in this area died a few years back. They are few and far between......at least in this area. I have people I knew from when I was a line mechanic call occasionally still asking if I will do some consulting.......with drivability. Me. Don't really know crap about it. They just remember my success through total LUCK. LOL

I guess.......I could probably brush up on it and come around, but dammit, that's one more thing the modern age will have taken from me. My beloved carburetor.

I ain't givin it up. LOL

My vote - sale the efi, buy the carb. Get the car on the road and enjoy! Buy a efi in the future if your still thinking about it at that time.

I'll say it again. You've already spent the money on the EFI. Many of these suggestions / arguments only hold water if you were THINKING of buying it. There is NO WAY I see you coming out somewhat "even" on price. You are most likely gonna take a financial bath on the EFI. Only way to recover is to "run it out of it" LOL

IF this EFI is truly "all boxed up" and not very "shop worn" and is actually new, you might come out OK. Otherwise, ..................................

Even I have to agree, if you already HAVE the EFI, go for it.

If the op could recover 75% of his money and have the car back on the road very soon? I think most people would be happy with the (what was it ??) 500 + horsepower that the dyno made with a carb? We know how electronics are, in two years their could be a totally new revolutionary break through in efi technology ? I'm all for driving my mopars today, NOT two years from now. Please is their any of us that have not bought something and not used it ? I'll check back in on this thread later today as I have to drive my mopars - move the durango so I can pull the barracuda out for a valve adjustment, then get the duster on the trailer for the drags tomorrow that i wish had 500 + horsepower ! !!!!

....and I never said EFI sucked..........just that I do not prefer it. Probably comes as my many years as a dealership line mechanic almost always in alignment/suspension/sqeaks/rattles/anything else nobody wants department while seeing drivability guys struggle their butts off diagnosing EFI and computer problems. And they even had and still have sophisticated equipment supposedly "telling them" what's wrong and they still had trouble. Just not my cup of tea.

I have seen some big power and reliability with EFI, but I am going to be an old fart who likes carburetors. ......and I'm keepin my distributor too. Dammit all.
Computers don't diagnose it for a tech. It's still the responsibility of the tech to diagnose it whether EFI or carb. Neither of the two's really more difficult or more complex than the other- sure, it's easier to make a carb run- but making one completely perfect is no less challenging than diagnosing a completely undocumented drivability issue in EFI. That's not saying it's not something anyone can do, it's something most everyone won't do.

Computers don't diagnose it for a tech. It's still the responsibility of the tech to diagnose it whether EFI or carb. Neither of the two's really more difficult or more complex than the other- sure, it's easier to make a carb run- but making one completely perfect is no less challenging than diagnosing a completely undocumented drivability issue in EFI. That's not saying it's not something anyone can do, it's something most everyone won't do.

I disagree in comparison to OBDI. OBDII has made computer diagnosis almost foolproof. Especially the Ford system. 90% of the time, whatever the code is, is what is wrong.

OBDII in general is like that compared to OBDI. I agree though that both systems point the mechanic in a direction, OBDII gets them much closer.

I made the transition as a mechanic from the 70s with carburetors, to the 80s with OBDI and into the 90s and beyond with OBDII. I think I know how it works pretty well. Certainly not an expert, but I know enough about it that I want no part of it. lol

You know how OBD2 works but want no part of it? You have an Ect, Iat, Tps, Map/Maf, Iac, O2 sensor, Cps/cam sensor and your injectors.

With the exception of 'random cylinder misfire' and 'cylinder lean' (vac leak) codes everything else pretty much tells you what is going on with the car. With non EFI vehicles you have to manually re-curve the distributor change timing, adjust jetting and honestly 'guess' it all into being 'right' not saying I can't do it, I have 3 modified carbed cars in my drive way (a galaxie, 1st gen camaro and 67 barracuda) just saying for overall driveability, economy and POWER a self tuning EFI is the easiest choice.

You know how OBD2 works but want no part of it? You have an Ect, Iat, Tps, Map/Maf, Iac, O2 sensor, Cps/cam sensor and your injectors.

With the exception of 'random cylinder misfire' and 'cylinder lean' (vac leak) codes everything else pretty much tells you what is going on with the car. With non EFI vehicles you have to manually re-curve the distributor change timing, adjust jetting and honestly 'guess' it all into being 'right' not saying I can't do it, I have 3 modified carbed cars in my drive way (a galaxie, 1st gen camaro and 67 barracuda) just saying for overall driveability, economy and POWER a self tuning EFI is the easiest choice.

if you follow the directions, the hardest part you will run into will be making it fit your mopar body. layout of the components seem to be for a Camaro. you`ll have to change the bulb sockets, key switch, steering column, and such over to your mopar stuff. might as well do away w/ the old stuff and put new in while your at it. I`ve stated before on here, "if you have any problems, call compcams for help" my 505" wedge is super responseive, revs like a sbc----bob

Thanks all for the comments. I was away for the weekend watching the big rigs drag racing. They are something to see.
I see most people are saying to stay with the EFI, the ones who are saying to stay with the carb have excellent points. I don't really know much about either system except the basics and have usually gone to my friends and had a beer or 2 while my car was getting fixed.
The reason now to learn is my son wants to get into old muscle cars and we got a good deal on this car and it was in excellent condition, except the car was gutted. Most of the parts were there, but lots of little things still need to be found I would imagine.
I have had a few cars in the past,( 66 chevy II, 67 mustang, 71 monte carlo and a 71 olds) but like I said I didn't really do much of the work to them. I am gaining much respect for the folks on here that have been doing it themselves over all the years.

Looks like a bit longer till I get her on the road now anyway, as my 4-speed rebuild has hit another snag. You would think this would have been easier, so much respect to all the guys/gals out there with the knowledge to get these old cars going.

Thanks agian.
View attachment IMG_0628.jpg
View attachment IMG_3279.jpg

These aftermarket efi kits have ports to hook up obd2 scanners? The thing with ethanol is it holds water. Pulls it right out of thin air. And when it has enough separates from the gas and sinks to the bottom of where ever it is. And then the water does its thing. Corroding,rusting,,,,,,

These aftermarket efi kits have ports to hook up obd2 scanners? The thing with ethanol is it holds water. Pulls it right out of thin air. And when it has enough separates from the gas and sinks to the bottom of where ever it is. And then the water does its thing. Corroding,rusting,,,,,,

LMAO Of course they don't. They don't need one because the computers on them are completely "open" that is software accessible, as supplied by whoever built them. Some of them have handheld controllers, and or dash displays, and those access data stored. ALL of them have data logging which can be used to tweek with

-
Back