Carter AVS 4966S choke question

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

69cudaguy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a Carter AVS 4966S and I'm wondering how the choke works. The carb came with my 1968 Barracuda 383 that I recently purchased. I rebuilt the carb and it is working great, but I can't get the choke to operate correctly. I'm wondering if it's missing the choke thermostat. I found pictures of the choke thermostat, but no pictures of where it attaches. It has the choke vacuum pull-off, but this only seems to open the choke valve and there doesn't seem to be a way to keep the choke valve closed. I know this carb was for a 1971 440 AT, but I rebuilt it for the settings given for the 383. I'm hoping someone out there is familiar with this carb and can help me figure this out. Thanks a lot ahead of time.

A 68' choke thermostat fits into the oblong shaped opening, passenger side in the Intake manifold. It has a vertical rod that fits into a pivot that flips the choke closed. There is also a clip holding the rod to the pivot. send a picture or two, if you like I can send a picture of a correctly Installed choke.

Should look like this...

index.php

Hey guys. Thanks for the quick replies. The casting number on my intake manifold is 2806301. Then it has a 82-9 next to that. And a 1 A next to the chrysler star emblem.
Thanks for that picture 65Val. I can't tell from it how it attaches to the manifold.
Thanks Oldmopardude for the info. I'll try and post a picture of mine if I can find my camera in storage. Could you attach a pic of how it mounts to the manifold? Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the info!

Sounds like all you need is the 68 AVS choke since you have the correct 68 intake manifold. Should just take a 1/4-20 short bolt in the rear hole. I use anti-seize and a stainless steel bolt. It should be obvious how the choke mounts with the carb off. Make sure the bolt does not interfere with the carb.

Okay great. I do see the one hole for the bolt in the manifold with the carb on. Does that choke thermostat for the 68 only have one bolt? Thanks for the info 66fs!

hers a most likely unimportant note about the 1968 AVS. it was the first year for the lean idle circuit.

Most early 4 barrels had one bolt as the front bolt is under the primary shaft of the carb and would interfere

Hey guys. I just wanted to say thanks again to all of you. I found a place to get the choke thermostat for my 68 manifold like you suggested 66fs, and just got it installed and man, it is f'n perfect. The carb is woking mint now. 65Val, thanks again for the great picture. It helped as well. This site is the balls and you guys totally hooked me up. I'm grateful.

Hey guys. I just wanted to say thanks again to all of you. I found a place to get the choke thermostat for my 68 manifold like you suggested 66fs, and just got it installed and man, it is f'n perfect. The carb is woking mint now. 65Val, thanks again for the great picture. It helped as well. This site is the balls and you guys totally hooked me up. I'm grateful.
Glad you got it worked out. Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back