Carter BBD

-

Ole Sambo

Reaction score
I have a summit/holley reman on my car 73 scamp. summit part number 64-1169. The engine itself is a 1970 318 out of a dart. My problem is the tendency for the car to stumble when giving gas too early. I have to be real gentle with the car. What it does if i give it to much gas is stumble, sometimes a slight pop, then it limps up to speed. I drove it from my house to breakfast, about 1.5 miles. I let it warm up for 30 seconds in the driveway at 1500. When i got to breakfast, the choke was about 75% fully opened. I beleive the stumble is a lean condition. But, i have the "pfft" "pfft" "pfft" sound of a rich running car. I have been slowly leaning out the idle mixture screws which is reducing the frequency of the "pfft" "pfft" "pfft" sounds from the tailpipe, but i think its cause my lean condition. Putting the old bbd back on is out of the question, because i could turn the mixture screws all the way in, and it would still be slightly rich. And the floats liked to randomly stick in it

One other thing, once the car gets real nice and warmed up, the problem is gone. I could go from standstill to floored and it'll spin the tires.

One other thing, once the car gets real nice and warmed up, the problem is gone. I could go from standstill to floored and it'll spin the tires.
You should maybe let her warmup longer then 30 sec.?Your choke will be open with longer warmups.No more pht,pht!!

If your old BBD doesn't have the electrical emissiions junk on it, I'd be interested in it if the shafts are still pretty tight and it's rebuildable. I need one for a 273 I'm building.
Shoot me a price shipped to 38049 if you're interested in selling.

-
Back