cast iron heads vs aluminum for stroked 340

-
I guess when we ask what its going to cost to rework cast iron heads, that's when it'll make sense or not to go with Eddy's. I'm not going to waste money for no reason. If we're even close to the same money, that's fine.

I'm just having a hard time grasping the idea that porting some X/J heads w/big valves already in them is going to cost me $2500. But if that's the case, then $1500 heads + $1200ish port work seems like a better option, with an added benefit of looking sexy to boot. As well as the chambers, etc.

The problem is that builders have their own ideas. Some are (or should be...lol) universal. Some are not. I'm a believer in track results. Nobody races flowbench numbers or dynos in any class but Engine Masters. So right away any set of heads I'm being paid to make work will be started from the opinion that nothing's good including the castings. That way if things are good, it's a pleasant surprise to the budget. Normally the full boogie rebuild runs in the $1400 area depending on the springs and retainers needed. That's without porting. So for my customers it's as much about return on investment as the end result.
As they say, "Speed costs money Son. How fast do you want to go?"

Thanks for all the debate folks.

I guess when we ask what its going to cost to rework cast iron heads, that's when it'll make sense or not to go with Eddy's. I'm not going to waste money for no reason. If we're even close to the same money, that's fine.

I'm just having a hard time grasping the idea that porting some X/J heads w/big valves already in them is going to cost me $2500. But if that's the case, then $1500 heads + $1200ish port work seems like a better option, with an added benefit of looking sexy to boot. As well as the chambers, etc.

Cam's and rockers are just expensive. Blech. But to get where I want its a necessary evil, and that's ok. I'm prepared for that.

I wouldn't put $2500.00 into any steel heads...

Ya know you can meet your requirements,iron heads,hydraulic cam,low rpm and hit your numbers 550/550 if ya squeezed it. Under the manifold,direct port,progressive control,would have people scratching their heads when you popped the hood. I know you dont care to go this route,but one of your friends might. Just saying......

I like it, 550 hp in an early A-body for the street. Buzzmc, I see that you live in Campbell. I'm over by Santana Row. Let me know if you'd like to go for a ride in a '68 convertible Barracuda with somewhere just south of 500hp via a stroked, Eddie-headed, 5.9 Magnum based motor so you can get a feel for how mild mannered yet capable that level of performance build is on the street.

ps: Neither one of my Mopars are safe to drive without quality DOT drag radials out back. The DOT drag radial technology makes such a huge difference in traction, streetability and safety that it's hard to believe unless you experience the car with and without them. Plus, Nitto's drag radials are high speed rated at nearly 186mph if memory serves. My front radial tires are only rated to 147 mph.

Attachments

• not me.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 243
I just got done with the Indy-X "prepped" from IMM. I wouldn't do it again. The heads fell way short of what was advertised. Personally myself and my car isnt super competitive in the nostalgic events I run. I wanted to run iron headed for the glory. Big mistake for me not to go with the W2's. If you're looking to be fast and keep the build frugal go with the Eddys. You can bolt them on as is and upgrade as your pocket allows. Me personally I dont like the look of aluminum heads on my cars. Aluminum heads to me look like Ching chang chevy heads on monte carlos with giant Dale Earnheart decals on the back. And to be honest looks to me are the reason I have a dozen mopars in my collection and only 4 Z-28's.

I just got done with the Indy-X "prepped" from IMM. I wouldn't do it again. The heads fell way short of what was advertised. Personally myself and my car isnt super competitive in the nostalgic events I run. I wanted to run iron headed for the glory. Big mistake for me not to go with the W2's. If you're looking to be fast and keep the build frugal go with the Eddys. You can bolt them on as is and upgrade as your pocket allows. Me personally I dont like the look of aluminum heads on my cars. Aluminum heads to me look like Ching chang chevy heads on monte carlos with giant Dale Earnheart decals on the back. And to be honest looks to me are the reason I have a dozen mopars in my collection and only 4 Z-28's.
How fast were you looking to go? Those Indy X heads are known more as a performance replacement, where your stock rockers and headers will bolt up to, not as a race head, certainly not like a W2. Plenty of guys running 10's and 9's with the IMM preped X heads. What's your combo??

How fast were you looking to go? Those Indy X heads are known more as a performance replacement, where your stock rockers and headers will bolt up to, not as a race head, certainly not like a W2. Plenty of guys running 10's and 9's with the IMM preped X heads. What's your combo??
4.080x3.31
lightened 2032's
11:1 with Indys at 59cc
gear jambing with 3:91's and 27" rubbah

I'm sure there's guys that get those numbers out of their cars but they're 400+ in3 and have tons of time squeaking every lasts bit out of those iron Indy's.....But that can be said for a highly modified OEM casting too cant it?
My issue issue is IMM website and Brian himself claim "270" out of with their "proprietary prepped heads" those numbers are flat out false.
BTW the rocker geometry was out of whack, the GM valves are too short and I had to run lash caps to get roller tip even somewhat respectable.
This opinion is coming from a consumer. I dont build engines, thats not how I make my money. I just like getting what I pay for.
EL5 Demon is on my bucket list, let me know when its time to sell.

4.080x3.31
lightened 2032's
11:1 with Indys at 59cc
gear jambing with 3:91's and 27" rubbah

I'm sure there's guys that get those numbers out of their cars but they're 400+ in3 and have tons of time squeaking every lasts bit out of those iron Indy's.....But that can be said for a highly modified OEM casting too cant it?
My issue issue is IMM website and Brian himself claim "270" out of with their "proprietary prepped heads" those numbers are flat out false.
BTW the rocker geometry was out of whack, the GM valves are too short and I had to run lash caps to get roller tip even somewhat respectable.
This opinion is coming from a consumer. I dont build engines, thats not how I make my money. I just like getting what I pay for.
EL5 Demon is on my bucket list, let me know when its time to sell.
More BS with no PROOF!

I'm with you Brain. I have had Indy X heads on the flow bench since 2010. I know that the flows he has posted are pure crap.
Thank you sir...Can't help to get a little bothered by random posts like this where someone spews lies just to poke at others. We work very hard (as I'm sure you and other shops do too) to maintain a pinnacle reputation, that's why if there was a real problem I would have liked the opportunity to fix it...but you can tell by the #'s posted and BS lines it's all pipe dreams.

-
Back