Caution when dealing with member awsig

-
I looked but couldn't find the part where he "try's to work it out with the seller". In this deal both parties stepped in it, and as such both sides should look for a solution where they both have a soft spot to land because that's how FABO members generally deal with each other. Post #69 among others tells me that he talked in circles about wanting to reach a reasonable compromise, but in the end just ran and hid behind Mommy Paypal's apron. Maybe Riddler has another part that he needs that Riddler could give him a smokin deal on to bring him his badly needed justice. Maybe he could have sold the incorrect brackets for a lot more than he bought them for, which was offered. Lots of ways to work this out if parties actually have an interest in working it out.

As for "6 pages of lynch mob", sorry don't see that. I see calls for compromise and distribution of responsibility, and lots of anecdotes from "the real world". Treat people the way you want to be treated. That's not complicated.

Piling on the return shipping is a dick move - even you acknowledge it was most likely out of spite. Take that crap to a different forum. Don't be a stain on FABO.

Let the buyer limit his future purchases of used parts to the retail used part industry (see my earlier post above) where his "win at all costs" attitude will dovetail nicely with their "take it or leave it (less 20%)" business philosophy. Him, them and Paypal all deserve each other, and he can look to them for support, guidance and answers for all things A Body while paying for shipping both ways.

He did try to work it out, just nobody thinks if fair because he wants the shipping refunded too. I'm pretty sure if the part was advertised for what it really fits he never would have bought it and wouldn't be in this **** storm right now. He says he's been looking for them and they have been hard do find. I don't he said that because he was looking for just any bumper bracket but ones for 73/74 as advertised are hard to find. (Of course this is my assumption). At one point he did offer to take 45 and keep them but probably changed his mind after getting so much **** and pretty much outcasted from the forum so why bother to try to make it right. And why should he be stuck with a part that the seller couldn't sell and have to try to get rid of it to recoup his money.
There are calls for compromise an lot of others that aren't so nice ( **** stain on the diaper of humanity come to mind along with many others) Who knows if the shipping was a dick move or more cover his *** because things have gotten so ugly.
I get it, I've bought lots of parts that were wrong and most the time it was my own fault, not because the seller advertised wrong them to me. I might read it different but it sure seems most are dumping on the buyer and not holding the seller responsible for his mistake.
As you said "Treat people the way you want to be treated. That's not complicated". I totally agree. I would never sell a part that I didn't know what it was, advertise it as something that its not and blame the buyer from buying from me. I would refund the part and shipping both ways, apologize and learn from my mistake.

Now that I've been following this thread awhile, lots of instances of part purchase failures are now coming to mind, where I could get myself all wrapped up in the sport of Victimology, but just forgot about it. Procuring parts for our Mopars is grey at best; very seldom, if ever, black or white. If someone hasn't got the stomach for it, I suggest they're in the wrong game.

Another case in point: I bought a lower Rad Hose for the 408 from my town's premier parts seller. It didn't fit worth a ****. And 99% of the time you can't figure that out with out trimming it at least a little bit. So, rather than going back to the store and raising hell until I got my money back, gas money, validated parking, a formal apology etc etc. because the part "did not fit as it was advertised", I turned the loss into a win by slicing the hose down the middle and using it as a template to find one that did fit properly. Before frisbeeing it into the garbage.

LRHose.jpg

Then, I posted my findings on FABO so that others in the same boat might benefit from my "bad luck".

What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

That's how things go sometimes. As far as bellyaching over 45 or 50 bucks even if someone made a mistake, I mean give me a break. My car inhales 50 dollar bills all day long, and I haven't even fired up the 408 yet, let alone run it in anger.

He says he's been looking for them and they have been hard do find. I don't he said that because he was looking for just any bumper bracket but ones for 73/74 as advertised are hard to find.

Hey, I don't want to make this between you and me - and I respect your point of view HOWEVER if the ones he was looking for are so hard to find, and then he discovers a set that a guy is having trouble unloading and is dropping his price a whole bunch, wouldn't that be a bit of a red flag that things may not be as they appear? Worthy of further research, like asking the guy for the part numbers he said he painted black?

Caveat Emptor - Just sayin'

Gotta get off this computer now......the Wife wants to watch a movie and I'm hoping to give her a "thorough debriefing" on it later.

Part of the hobby is being familiar enough with what you own to recognize correct parts for it, or ASK QUESTIONS if you are unsure. He failed to do that. He has some ownership to this mess. It is not all the seller's fault.

I could have made a set by now. Rob are you about done with the set. lol

Hey, I don't want to make this between you and me - and I respect your point of view HOWEVER if the ones he was looking for are so hard to find, and then he discovers a set that a guy is having trouble unloading and is dropping his price a whole bunch, wouldn't that be a bit of a red flag that things may not be as they appear? Worthy of further research, like asking the guy for the part numbers he said he painted black?

Caveat Emptor - Just sayin'

Gotta get off this computer now......the Wife wants to watch a movie and I'm hoping to give her a "thorough debriefing" on it later.
Million ways to look at it..
Sucks for both guys
Enjoy the movie.

I understand both sides, I've offered to refund him the amount he paid for the brackets. I still find it unjust that I had to refund the shipping cost. I was lucky enough to avoid broker fee's and taxes from UPS as the goods were of Canadian Origin and being returned. So I saved $55CDN there.

I'm not saying I'm innocent on the matter. I mislabelled them as 73/74 Duster brackets (that's what I was told/sold as). I offered a refund of $45.00USD for the cost of the brackets. I also told him to keep them and do as he wishes on them. My mistake would mean I made ZERO ($0.00) on them. At the same time I offered part numbers to him for him to verify if they were correct. My biggest issue is that we are both mistaken on the transaction and only I am out money.

FYI, he has now been credited the entire $90 for the brackets and shipping. I'm out $45USD as the brackets are being shipped. Lucky for me no import taxes or fees. So if I can sell these brackets again for $45.00USD I'll be even come out at zero ($0.00) instead of negative $45USD.

Now if this was a cash deal, swap meet or paid via another method, there would be no issues. If anything I have learned a very valuable lesson.

1. Restocking fee for everything. Anything I sell now will have a 25% restocking fee. Easy way to cover my *** and PayPal authorizes it.
2. Don't deal with zero feedback users. This will become more lax over time but as of right now. No thanks.
3. Work on building a store, so that if something does sell, I can manage the payment and have the shipping invoiced separately and not subject to PayPal's ridicules rules.

Riddler

To add to that, a second PayPal account used solely to receive payment
That keeps them from freezing ALL your assets should something like this occur again

Well,Riddler i would say some of hus have learned from your bad experience.
My only change is no refunds on used items, be sure you know what you are buying.
Or 100% restocking fee.

Well,Riddler i would say some of hus have learned from your bad experience.
My only change is no refunds on used items, be sure you know what you are buying.
Or 100% restocking fee.

Well if you accept PayPal for funds you must take refunds. You can't have a stipulation of No Refunds. They'll refund it anyway. The restocking fee is limited to 25% from what I've found. There are a few savvy sellers who have really figured out the scheme PayPal pulls off and protects themselves. The split shipping is key as you can't refund that if you go through the shipper's website directly.

Riddler

I just opened a paypal account. For purchase only. If i sell its mastercard or visa through my business.

Been following this saga, as I have bought and sold quite a bit of A body stuff through this forum and others.
Only had one bad selling deal and it was with a member here on FABO. That buyer called Pay Pal on me and sure enough the amount he had paid me was locked out in my PayPal account. I contacted Pay Pal and e mailed to them scans of the sale add, scans of our conversations detailing what was agreed to, and copies of photos of what I sent. I took the time and typed out a letter, explaining what the buyer - seller agreement was and why I believed the agreement was fulfilled. It took about two weeks, but Pay Pal sided in my favor and released the funds paid to me.
That guy expected that he would get PayPal to side with him. Perhaps some sellers just back off and give in.
Right or wrong, I did not post anything here on that issue, as I figured maybe he was just having a bad day, but I know the buyers name and I stay away from his posts. Buying or selling, document everything, all conversations,,, and with PayPal, be prepared to make your case, I only needed to do that once, but it made the difference.

Last edited:
Part of the hobby is being familiar enough with what you own to recognize correct parts for it, or ASK QUESTIONS if you are unsure. He failed to do that. He has some ownership to this mess. It is not all the seller's fault.

Pointer for those new: Go to a big out of town swap????, ask the vendor what said parts fits, do not ask if he has a XX part that fit his XX car. Like RRR says, buyer should be familiar with what does it, what it looks like, part #'s....

I read page one days ago, this thing is up to page 8!????? WOW! Glad I seldom bother with advertising/selling ANY parts any more.

Sad to hear of this whole thing. Hey @Riddler, you got any left over parts from that 6spd swap? Might be interested if you do.... I fully trust you

Sad to hear of this whole thing. Hey @Riddler, you got any left over parts from that 6spd swap? Might be interested if you do.... I fully trust you

No not really. But if you ever need information. I givevthat out free. I received the package back today. Had to call PayPal and report an issue. I’ll post more when the issue is resolved.

Riddler

dukeboy: I do like that avatar! And of course, the Hi-beams is always a nice touch! [oink oink]
That is a @Ddaddy special. He did great on it with the little guidance I gave him lol

No not really. But if you ever need information. I givevthat out free. I received the package back today. Had to call PayPal and report an issue. I’ll post more when the issue is resolved.

Riddler
let me guess, he either switched them out or modified them beyond use?

Riddler
oh boy.....

-
Back