changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto.

-
Hi Homecloned
How did you get the gunk out of the windshield housing? Was that a grinder?

Also did you have any scale rust in the trunk area or hood.
I have some lite scale rust in both areas some of which looks hard to get to and am trying to figure out what to do.

I used a grinder, wire wheel, dremel tool, paint stripper and scrappers. It was a real pain. I had plenty of rust in the hood and trunk that was painted over by the p.o. Lots of wire wheel on the angle grinder action.

Thanks that was what I was thinking. Just looks like some areas that you can not get too.
In the trunk area anyways. Up underneath the sail panel and inside the hood.

Thanks that was what I was thinking. Just looks like some areas that you can not get too.
In the trunk area anyways. Up underneath the sail panel and inside the hood.

My dremel tool was real handy with various grinding tips and sanding wheels. You would be surprised what you can get those into.

You are doing a great job, keep ticking away at it.
You car is awsome now I can't wait to see it completed.

I got the engine in finally.:cheers: I did something different this time and installed it seperate from the tranny. While this made dropping the engine a breeze, hooking the tranny to it was a PITA! It kept slipping off the piece of wood that was on the jack. 3 bloody knuckles(2 were the same knuckle) and lost of bruises later I got the two together. I would do it this way again but will invest in a tranny jack first. My poor neighbors probably thought a drunken sailor moved in next door with my outburst.

Here she is.

The bud light was my reward for a job well done.

Attachments

• PB200001 (Custom).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 390
  • PB210059 (Custom).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 365
  • PB210058 (Custom).JPG
    83 KB · Views: 364
  • PB200011 (Custom).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 377
  • PB200010 (Custom).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 356
  • PB200007 (Custom).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 374
  • PB200005 (Custom).JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 352
  • PB200002 (Custom).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 360
Great work homecloned....I also believe in doing the car the way you would want it. I am seriously thinking about changing the color on mine. The car was orange when I bought it, not a very good paint job as far as my standards go. Keep the pics coming, I'm enjoying them.

Great work homecloned....I also believe in doing the car the way you would want it. I am seriously thinking about changing the color on mine. The car was orange when I bought it, not a very good paint job as far as my standards go. Keep the pics coming, I'm enjoying them.

Thanks Moepar. I wish when mine was done the first time that they didn't cut so many corners.
I liked the green on mine for awhile and it got alot of attention but I was ready for a change.

wow!! I missed most of this thread until today-- fantastic work--- Thank you for taking the time to detail how you fixed your ride. You gave me lots of good tips & ideas for my garage queen. Thanks again, Lawrence

Thanks Moepar. I wish when mine was done the first time that they didn't cut so many corners.
I liked the green on mine for awhile and it got alot of attention but I was ready for a change.

I know what you are saying about cutting corners. Whoever painted mine definitely cut some corners that I had to clean up, and still doing some cleaning up on things. I was a painter in two high end body shops for over 25 years and I must say what I see in those pictures is absolutely fantastic. I have done a few of those types of resto's for people so I know the blood, sweat and probably some tears you have put into it. Great job...we had a guy bring his orange dart all the way from California down to MS for Crusin' The Coast this year. Sure would be nice to see that dart here next year.

I can't believe I somehow missed this thread until now... it's great inspiration for me doing my Dart myself. Yours looks fantastic!

Very nice ride you have.. By the way where did you take you pics at???
looks like just out side of St. pete beach or Pasadena . still very nice dart.. my in laws live at del sol or cosa del sol i think that what it call..

wow!! I missed most of this thread until today-- fantastic work--- Thank you for taking the time to detail how you fixed your ride. You gave me lots of good tips & ideas for my garage queen. Thanks again, Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence. I am hoping to fire her up today.

I know what you are saying about cutting corners. Whoever painted mine definitely cut some corners that I had to clean up, and still doing some cleaning up on things. I was a painter in two high end body shops for over 25 years and I must say what I see in those pictures is absolutely fantastic. I have done a few of those types of resto's for people so I know the blood, sweat and probably some tears you have put into it. Great job...we had a guy bring his orange dart all the way from California down to MS for Crusin' The Coast this year. Sure would be nice to see that dart here next year.

Thanks again Moe. I painted it with some very cheap guns, which were ok for the base but a real pita for the clear.

I can't believe I somehow missed this thread until now... it's great inspiration for me doing my Dart myself. Yours looks fantastic!

Thanks BlueSwinger. Finding FABO is what gave me a kick in the butt to get her going.

Very nice ride you have.. By the way where did you take you pics at???
looks like just out side of St. pete beach or Pasadena . still very nice dart.. my in laws live at del sol or cosa del sol i think that what it call..

Thanks SBDart. The intercoastal pic was taken off Indian Rocks beach. Just north of Pasadena. I know Casa Del Sol. It sits on the bayway to St Pete Beach.
Here is a pic very close to it. That bridge ends at The Don Cesar Hotel on St Pete Beach. My son is looking toward the main land.

Attachments

• PDRM0030 (Custom).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 403
Yep......... been across that bridge so many times. maybe this summer i will go it agin. this is at my wife dad's place .......

Attachments

• P4080016.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 420
OK. Dropped the 340 in after priming the oil system, had trouble getting the fuel pump/system to prime. Rerouted fuel line into can of gas and was able to keep running for the 20 min cam break-in. Kept house fan blowing through the radiator. Everything seemed ok, oil pressure stayed @50psi. I did notice some moisture comming from the exhaust at first but it stopped after a few minutes. Got up thursday morning to do some more work and noticed low water in the radiator. Tried to start engine and it wouldn't move. I freak out and just stare at it for a minute. Decide to pull the plugs and cylinder 6 is wet. I bump the starter and it shoots water across the garage. I think I am totally screwed! I will pull the top end apart today to see what I did or didn't do. Hoping it's a bad head gasket and not a cracked head or worse cracked block. :angry7:
No machine work was done as it ran when pulled. The cam was bad so I decided to replace all bearings and rings as well as cam and lifters.
This took the wind out of my sails for Thanksgiving.
One step forward three steps back.:angry7::angry7::angry7:
I will update later, hopefully with an idea of what happened.

OK. Dropped the 340 in after priming the oil system, had trouble getting the fuel pump/system to prime. Rerouted fuel line into can of gas and was able to keep running for the 20 min cam break-in. Kept house fan blowing through the radiator. Everything seemed ok, oil pressure stayed @50psi. I did notice some moisture comming from the exhaust at first but it stopped after a few minutes. Got up thursday morning to do some more work and noticed low water in the radiator. Tried to start engine and it wouldn't move. I freak out and just stare at it for a minute. Decide to pull the plugs and cylinder 6 is wet. I bump the starter and it shoots water across the garage. I think I am totally screwed! I will pull the top end apart today to see what I did or didn't do. Hoping it's a bad head gasket and not a cracked head or worse cracked block. :angry7:
No machine work was done as it ran when pulled. The cam was bad so I decided to replace all bearings and rings as well as cam and lifters.
This took the wind out of my sails for Thanksgiving.
One step forward three steps back.:angry7::angry7::angry7:
I will update later, hopefully with an idea of what happened.

Ouch, Noel! Let us know what you find.

You will get it fixed and put back together. You have done a super job so far so don't give up. I just read this thread all the way through and have been very impressed with everything you have done.
I too bought a car several years ago that looked better 10 foot away. Espescially after having it on a lift and getting the real picture. It needs both floor pans, both trunk extensions, rear crossmember and the quarters repaired because someone only rivited and didn't weld and I could go on and on. I've redone the seats, door panels, dash, console, bumpers, grill, finish panel, lights and the drivetrain and on and on. Kind of a backwards restoration of changing everything I can and not start any body and paint work. Hopefully I can bring myself to start on it knowing I won't be driving it for a long time.
Once again Great Job!!!!!

-
Back