Changing gauge cluster light bulbs - How To

-
Maybe I need to do a how to. It won't be on a Mopar, but on my 75 F250, Gladys. I need to do some work on her cluster anyway and was going to swap in LEDs then.

If you look you can find NON_POLARIZED LED BULBS. This process, without taking the cluster out, is difficult at best. Non-polarized bulbs can be installed in either direction and reduce the frustration factor significantly. If you leave one incandescent bulb in the set the dimmer will work most of the time. Pick one that is not that important.
Redline GaugeWorks in Santa Clarita did a full restoration on my gauges and these are the bulbs he agreed would be just fine.

IMG_8906.jpeg

If you were lookin at the panel with the engine off, then the bulbs were only getting ower at battery voltage, approx 12.5 V.

When driving, the bulbs will be getting power around 14 V. Makes a difference.

Also , your panel may have one or two bulbs out.

Last edited:

1695984235697.png

1695984263695.png

'67 restored

4 illumination bulbs

I agree. I can hardly call losing the dimmer function a drawback, since the cluster lights in these cars were about like miniature candles anyway. lol
If you leave one incandescent bulb in somewhere, the dimmer will work. I left them in my aftermarket gauges.

I really hope that’s not the case. It was rebuilt a year ago and has been sitting out of the car unused until this year. I never thought about putting LED’s in while it was still out because honestly I thought the brand new bulbs put in during restoration were going to be more than good enough. Well now, I see they’re not. Lesson learned. These pictures were taken during the restoration process

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

Well if its one bulb, study the illumination pattern it should be obvious which area is shadowed.

The difference in voltage is unquestionably an influence on brightness.
In addition to the diffenence in uspply voltage between running on battery and running on alternator, there is the differnce across the bulb. In practical terms, if there is poor grounding, then the voltage across the bulb will be reduced.
I bring this up because I don't see the ground wire in your cluster photo. Is in neccessary? Probably not. Does it help, surely yes.

1696001635460.png

Well if its one bulb, study the illumination pattern it should be obvious which area is shadowed.

In addition to the diffenence in uspply voltage between running on battery and running on alternator, there is the differnce across the bulb. In practical terms, if there is poor grounding, then the voltage across the bulb will be reduced.
I bring this up because I don't see the ground wire in your cluster photo. Is in neccessary? Probably not. Does it help, surely yes.

View attachment 1716147616
I’ll make sure to double check all this. Thank you.

I got my non-polarized bulbs from a company called SuperBrite

I got my non-polarized bulbs from a company called SuperBrite
Are the Non polarized bulbs as bright as the polarized ones? In order to get the non polarized feature, you need two more diodes, which is another ~1.5 volt drop. I have never fooled with any, just curious.

View attachment 1716147616
I’ll make sure to double check all this. Thank you.

Here is what I get with clean/polished lenses and standard 5W bulbs in a '68 Valiant cluster.
Eclairage TDB.jpg
It's a bench test so no dimmer and this is max power bright.
IMO, no need for leds, lighting is more than enough with bulbs.

Last edited:
I meant to say if mine looked like that I wouldn’t have posted this thread.

I think we get that. Our point is that the bulb itself may not be the reason it appears dim.

I think we get that. Our point is that the bulb itself may not be the reason it appears dim.
Ok. So what exactly is your point? That I need to see it while car is running? Make sure it’s grounded correctly?

Ok. So what exactly is your point? That I need to see it while car is running? Make sure it’s grounded correctly?
Yes yes and yes.

What bulb did you use?

I know my stock 67 dart dash last time I had it out I replaced all the bulbs and most of the holders.

One holder was tight but not making good contact and that bulb would come and go.

That side of the dash would be dim, then bright then dim. After I fixed the holder it has stayed on and there is no issue.

Another thing to look at is is the rheostat providing full power at full on position.

It might have excess resistance in its sweep or in the connector terminals.

I meant to say if mine looked like that I wouldn’t have posted this thread.

I think that you should make a "bench" test, out of the car and bypassing the dimmer, with a battery or a battery charger.
Barracuda cluster.jpg
This way, you'll get the max power the bulbs can give.
If you get the same illumination than me with my '68 Valiant cluster, you'll be sure that your problem comes from a bad grounding or a defficient dimmer.

Last edited:
The contacts on the bulb sockets can corrode and loose spring tension. Replacing them would be a good idea. The replacement 5/8 inch bulb sockets are a little harder to find than the 1/2 inch ones. The 1/2 are very common, used in fords I think. Don’t try and use the 1/2 inch, they might work if you get them in just perfect, but they won’t be reliable.

I went with LEDs green and put white overlays on the gauges in my Duster , I ended with nice lighting that way and don't miss the dimer feature 1 led in backwards

IMG_20230526_212311.jpg

IMG_20230526_212332.jpg

-
Back