Chassis headers vs Fenderwell headers

-

the67fish

Reaction score
Well I was hopping to use these chassis headers instead of the fenderwells on the car now, am going back to the street from ages of bracket racing and figured if I just welded some collector/muffler flanges on the chassis headers they would work out better for me but noooooooooo, they fit about 1/2 inch away from the shifter cable so that just wont work. Back to the fenderwells, pfffffft.

Attachments

• 10354760_10202159766255026_8377975183775308756_n[1].jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 10435136_10202160378430330_7211583835513518392_n[1].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 311
can you slide an asbestos sleeve over that trans cable?. The sleeve used on a Hemi (66-72 Hemi) is about 18" long. I have used the sleeve over fuel line near exhaust in past builds with satisfactory results.

the one tube in the fenderwell header is my pick for a big tube RB motor with stock suspension. Always hated the full fenderwell header because of fairly unequal tube length, limited tire size and clearance, and street exhaust hook up.

Good luck
Denny

Yes Scott one tube goes thru, around the frame rail and back under on each side, these came with the car along with the Hooker Fenderwells when I bought it as a roller years ago. I cant for the life of me remember what he said they fit exactly but I wanna say B-Body?? Maybe I should have mentioned that Im gonna go with this build using the Powerglide (and midplate) thats already in it, for now, then a 727 later on. The cable comes in from the rear and up higher on the Glide so thats where its almost touching. Wrapping/insulating was my first thought, its just too close to the plastic coated part of cable as well to suit me for any extended driving useage. Hooking up exhaust on the fenderwells is exactly what I DONT want to do, I dont like all that pipe showing, to me it looks like Larry, Moe and Curly did the plumbing on it LOL. Tire size mainly on passenger side isnt a problem since I "clearanced" one tube gently with a BFH. Plan C for the fenderwells might be to weld a collector to the inside of the collectors and hook the exhaust pipe up there and towards the center then go back to the rear and just cap the original location off leaving only that much showing under the car, be easy to uncap at the drag strip also. They may end up being dedicated to the car then and never come back off, for sure after I get the inner fenders put back on. As for the stock suspension Im gonna be putting coil overs on the front, I think it can be done using the stock control arms, might have to enlarge the hole a little but reinforce it back up some. The stock shock tower is already welded to the roll cage bar that comes thru to the front of the frame and a little extra bracing as seen on threads on here wouldnt hurt.

The chassis headers look to be 5320 Hooker. not 100% but very close. FYI

Ray

Not sure of the name brand either, they have been laying around for ages, could be Lemmons? Sthall? no name on em anywhere. Already have the Cheetah shifter, for a powerglide the cable does come in from the rear, on the 727 it comes in from the front which would work, not throwing the chassis ones in the scrap pile just yet. All of the bracket racing stuff in this pic is gone, delay box, TS timer, transbrake buttons etc etc. The street beast is coming along, slowly but surely.

Attachments

• i12078.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 207
-
Back