Check out pic's of destruction,Caution Graphic Photos!

-

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
I was having trouble last week with starting the Duster... After lots of troubleshooting heres what I found. I believe timing was off!! See any problems that I don't? I am taking the heads to the machine shop to be redone and I think I might need a set of pushrods.. Anybody interested in this set of custom rods??lol .

duster destruct 003 (Small).jpg

duster destruct 004 (Small).jpg

duster destruct 006 (Small).jpg

duster destruct 007 (Small).jpg

duster destruct 011 (Small).jpg

duster destruct 012 (Small).jpg

duster destruct 013 (Small).jpg

Thats not good ! What caused them to bend though ? Doesnt look like the valves bent or the pistons were hit.

My guess is ya jumped 4-5 teeth on the cam gear. Ouch. In picture 2 you can see that only the exhaust valve push rods are bent and I expect the other side bank is the same and I can see some marks on the exhaust valve side of some of the pistons also. When the chain jumps the gear it usually causes the exhaust valve closing timing to be delayed and the piston comes up and smack into the valve. Thankfully since most push rods are hollow they are the weak link. If the cause is the timing chain jumped I'd replace the cam/lifters, do a good check of it's bearings and the exhaust rocker arms are probably banged up too.

Terry

i'll take the pushrods!!!!! i can use them in a sculpture. wow! have you pulled the timing cover yet? what did cause them to bend?

Hate to say it, looks like you didn't replace/install the timing chain properly when you changed the rear main seal.

You really need to take the timing cover off again and check the timing dot alignment.

If you put it back together without checking cam timing, you'll get the same result.

You know you might be able to sell those push rods on ebay for good money.
You could say they help the performance curve.
Someone might be gullible enough.:laughing:
The sculpture idea was great you could call it Bad Timing
I just hope they didn't mess anything up!

I liked that !!!!LOL
The pistons do have a couple slight marks but nothing scary...
I did pull the cover this morning and it was out of time but I was sure I set it when I put it back together. Its all new ,can't imagine the timing jumped ....Which brings me back to operator error...Right? :pottytra:](*,)

Kinda bummed today but at least I know why it wouldn't start.

Sorry to see all the carnage, you better pull the pistons and check the undersides for cracks. Hard to believe the valves would hit with that big of a relief in the pistons. Hope they are ok.

ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-- how many rpms were you turning when it started losing power ????

For the push rods to bend there was a ton of force, What happens to the lifters and cam lobes when they get shocked with the same lobe ?

For the push rods to bend there was a ton of force, What happens to the lifters and cam lobes when they get shocked with the same lobe ?

And the rod bearing for that matter.

Better safe than sorry is my deal. Take the engine out and inspect all the upper shells fo your rod bearing. That's my 2 cents...

I am sorry for your unfortunate misstake. Hope that is no other major damage.

It would be best to degree the cam in and perform a piston to valve clearance check prior to any starting of the engine. It takes more time but without checking these things you never know what might happen when you go to start it.

Yup. Nice work...
the timing chain was installed way off. You bent just about every exh pushrod, and yeah, that is enough to mess up a brand new cam, because there is no oil/protection on it except the breakin stuff, and that got all squeezed out. I would tear it all down at least to the crank in the block and inspct it all. If someone missed the cam timing, chances are good there's other stuff too.

He pulled the crank to replace the rear main seal. Probably didn't get the timing gears lined up when it was reassembled

He pulled the crank to replace the rear main seal. Probably didn't get the timing gears lined up when it was reassembled
Yes exactly that! Thanks for keeping an eye on me Crackedback.
The heads are at the machine shop and will be done in a day or two. The Cam looks fine as does the pistons..
I am taking this moment to replace the stock intake with a Air Gap Intake. Thats a plus...
Always say "to learn we must make mistakes" I have learned!:read2:

-
Back