Cheetah 17156 VB

-

Wally 1966

Kare-Bear1966
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 70s 904 transmission to rebuild for my car. Upon opening I have found that it has a Cheetah #17156 reverse manual valve body.
As I am completely unfamiliar and this is my first “trans build“ I obviously have some ‘stupid’ questions.
I have looked extensively on the inter-web but can find no diagrams showing how this valve body should be put together to verify that it is in fact put together correctly. Upon opening there was a single steel ball that unfortunately stuck to the separator plate and rolled off so I have no idea for sure where it goes.
Is it possible to convert this valve body to a standard valve body and install a TCI trans kit? Or would it be better to market this unit and purchase/trade for a stock valve body?
I have looked a crossed our threads but can’t seem to find anything that points directly to this valve body or how it is constructed/set up so any links to threads would be greatly appreciated as well.

IMG_2463.jpeg

IMG_2466.jpeg

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg

It's going to be full manual action either forward or reverse...I have 4 they are great!!

No need for any passing gear linkage it deletes that on the valve body

I've been running manual ones with column shifters since the '90's

Ahh, so that’s how TA handles the throttle/kickdown valve and throttle lever. They weld the lever in position to the throttle lever stop screw, at least that’s what it appears to be? If so, to disassemble completely takes some careful grinding to break the weld one would assume?
I’d think a small od sleeve of the correct depth slid over the screw would work as well to position the lever? Is it in fact welded as it appears to be in the picture?
304ECFD8-5327-421F-A6D6-8A882C8123FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahh, so that’s how TA handles the throttle/kickdown valve and throttle lever. They weld the lever in position to the throttle lever stop screw, at least that’s what it appears to be? If so, to disassemble completely takes some careful grinding to break the weld one would assume?
I’d think a small od sleeve of the correct depth slid over the screw would work as well to position the lever? Is it in fact welded as it appears to be in the picture?
View attachment 1716115649
Although it appears to be, it is not welded. The ‘tang’ moves freely on the screw shaft.

IMG_2526.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been running manual ones with column shifters since the '90's
The transmission that’s currently in the car has a B&M shift improver kit that I run as a manual. It’s not exactly a stick but it’s close enough for an old guy with messed up knees.
However some “unknown” individual did a couple of burnouts and overheated the transmission so now third gear is almost nonexistent unless you pull your foot off the pedal and pray. So obviously that one’s coming out to be redone.

Last edited:
Recently purchased a 70s 904 transmission to rebuild for my car. Upon opening I have found that it has a Cheetah #17156 reverse manual valve body.
As I am completely unfamiliar and this is my first “trans build“ I obviously have some ‘stupid’ questions.
I have looked extensively on the inter-web but can find no diagrams showing how this valve body should be put together to verify that it is in fact put together correctly. Upon opening there was a single steel ball that unfortunately stuck to the separator plate and rolled off so I have no idea for sure where it goes.
Is it possible to convert this valve body to a standard valve body and install a TCI trans kit? Or would it be better to market this unit and purchase/trade for a stock valve body?
I have looked a crossed our threads but can’t seem to find anything that points directly to this valve body or how it is constructed/set up so any links to threads would be greatly appreciated as well.

View attachment 1716115490

View attachment 1716115491

View attachment 1716115492

View attachment 1716115500

View attachment 1716115501

https://www.turboaction.com/17156 Upper Assy.pdf

Above link shows correct parts breakdown assembly. You can also discuss with Paul Forte at Turbo Action. Very easy to talk to

Definitely not opposed to a full manual but definitely not a reverse. It’s just a little street car.
Well you are bein silly. A reverse manual protects the trans from you missing a gear and either going into neutral or park.

I Had a rev/ man in my 67 (when it was running) and LOVED it. Sometimes, i "easy" stop and go traffic, I'd just leave it in 2nd. If you don't get crazy on the pedal, it hurts nothing.

https://www.turboaction.com/17156 Upper Assy.pdf

Above link shows correct parts breakdown assembly. You can also discuss with Paul Forte at Turbo Action. Very easy to talk to
I don’t even know how to approach thanking you so much for exactly what I was looking for. I don’t know how you found it but I’m sure glad that you did or whether you had it I greatly greatly appreciate this now I can see what I’m looking at and working with.

Well you are bein silly. A reverse manual protects the trans from you missing a gear and either going into neutral or park.

I Had a rev/ man in my 67 (when it was running) and LOVED it. Sometimes, i "easy" stop and go traffic, I'd just leave it in 2nd. If you don't get crazy on the pedal, it hurts nothing.
Seeing now from many responses and more research that I can in fact use my shifter (just have to ignore the numbers) and with the new graphic that was sent by another member so I can see exactly how this thing is supposed to be put together I will definitely be going forward as it is.
And in all honesty it’s not being silly when you’re dealing with something you’ve never ever dealt with before and can’t find enough information to feel comfortable.

OK Reverse manual valves were first developed to use with original shifters. In fact back in the push button days, and if you are unaware, push button trans had a separate park lever sometimes, but top to bottom was RND21, so by reversing them, you would start in 1 of course, "used to be D", and put your thumb on 2, and then go for 3, "used to be 1" and with them reversed, you had NO chance of accidently grabbing neutral.

-
Back