Chevy Volt :(

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
GM halted production ... predicted 40000+ sales ... and to date only sold 9600.....
Why would somebody want to buy a vehicle that is NOT all electric for roughly 40000 dollars when they can buy a 4 banger for half that price and get virtuallly the same mileage with less worry ....
Lets not get on the GREEN thing either .... battery disposal just slam dunked that thinking ...
LUV IT .....
Bring on the Diesels .....

GM halted production ... predicted 40000+ sales ... and to date only sold 9600.....
Why would somebody want to buy a vehicle that is NOT all electric for roughly 40000 dollars when they can buy a 4 banger for half that price and get virtuallly the same mileage with less worry ....
Lets not get on the GREEN thing either .... battery disposal just slam dunked that thinking ...
LUV IT .....
Bring on the Diesels .....

To be fair, a good part of the reason for the Volt is the government pushing for the, so called, "green technology". The reality is that some tome in the future, that is where the auto industry will be headed, they problem with the Volt is that it's premature, both for it's technology, and the consumer's taste.

There is also the subsidies issue: "The total amount of state and federal subsidies for each Chevy Volt sold is as much as $256,824 per vehicle according to a fiscal analysis by Michigan's Mackinac Center for Public Policy. All for a car that only costs $39,828.

Read more here: http://jalopnik.com/5870507/report-every-chevy-volt-has-over-250000-in-government-subsidies

The following is the political opinion on the subject but one that both sides of the political aisle might agree with...

Subsidized Chevy Volt Taken Off the Production Line
Posted by Jeff Olen on Mar 2, 2012 in American, News, Opinion

The Chevy Volt, which is a plugin extended drive hybrid, will be taken off the production line for 5 weeks. The halted Volt production will lay off 1,300 Detroit workers. The heavily subsidized, eco-friendly car was touted as a job creator. GM claims that the 5 week layoff will be temporary. With $2.3 Billion of the car’s $3 Billion in subsidies coming from the Federal Government, the current sales put the subsidized cost of each Chevy Volt sold at $200,000 a piece. This is an excellent example of why the government should stick to what it does best. Or at least…stick to the powers the Constitution gives the government. (I forgot the government cannot be the best at anything!)

GM’s 2011 goal of selling 10,000 units of the Volt was not met and they only sold 7,671 units. They hoped to expand production in 2012 to 60,000 Chevy Volts. But with total sales this year at 1,623, Chevy would have to sell an average of 5,000 units a month to even come close to meeting that goal. GM spokesman Chris Lee said, “Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand”. Translated, that means Chevy is going to halt production for 5 weeks. This sounds like the slow dying process of another failed government subsidy, of course at the the expense of future generations.

I am not superstitious, but they say things happen in 3′s. First Solyndra, then the Chevy Volt. So what is next? For the hard working citizens of the United States…I hope that we have learned our lesson. What lesson is that you may ask? That a government that governs the least…governs the best!

http://bravenewtimes.com/subsidized-chevy-volt-taken-off-the-production-line/

X2 I was bugged that the name "Volt" made it sound like it was a total electric car. It still has a gas powered engine under the hood. tmm

it wasen't all that great, if someone has $40,000 to spend on a sh$t box they have money to put gas in the tank and don't need something that isn't that great on fuel anyway. want good fuel milage? buy a diesel

it wasen't all that great, if someone has $40,000 to spend on a sh$t box they have money to put gas in the tank and don't need something that isn't that great on fuel anyway. want good fuel milage? buy a diesel

I agree,...except for the diesel part,...Bought any Urea yet? How about $5 dollar a gallon diesel?...Lets not get into insurance rates either,...Not to mention repair costs of a diesel, (diesel parts prices are equal with quality ricer parts),...Not to cast a negative light on your diesel, or your ricer, they're just not for me.

I looked hard at the "hybirds" before I bought the $14,000 Caliber,...Gets 35 mpg @ 70-75 mph,...costs me 50 bucks to go 400 miles. It was cheaper for me in the long run to put gas in the Cali than to spend north of 25 grand on something "greener"....and uglier.

Total cost for the Caliber for 5 years, (which includes initial cost, gas for 5 years, financing, insurance and normal maintanence) is around 30 grand.

Maybe sometime in the future, "hybirds" will be more affordable to joe lunch box types like me, but until then I'll be "ridin dirty"....

Every area of their "Green Technology" BS is falling apart, and taking the economy with it..........People lining their pockets with the Government cash.........makes me sick..........

The Obama-mobile (Volt)............GM HAD a good electric vehicle years ago, and they ordered them all DESTROYED........WHY? The people who owned them LOVED them.............but no........crush 'em........

Reminds me of the cash for clunkers program.......think of all the great vehicles DESTROYED that poor folks could have USED to better their lives.......WHY DIDN'T THE "CARING LIBS" :pottytra: GIVE THE CARS TO THE NEEDY WHO DRIVE DEATH TRAPS ?????????

Rest in Peace Volt. If I want an electric car, I'll build one myself.

chaulk up another failed Obama administration pipe dream......

Looks like none of the "green" liberals who voted for him bought one. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cars like the Volt are only worth getting if they actually save you money. The Volt didn't save anyone, any money. It should have been killed before production.

Lets see......

$40,000 Volt

or

2012 Kia Rio for $13,400. The Rio gets 30city/40hwy.

I would get the Kia.

I agree,...except for the diesel part,...Bought any Urea yet? How about $5 dollar a gallon diesel?...Lets not get into insurance rates either,...Not to mention repair costs of a diesel, (diesel parts prices are equal with quality ricer parts),...Not to cast a negative light on your diesel, or your ricer, they're just not for me.

I looked hard at the "hybirds" before I bought the $14,000 Caliber,...Gets 35 mpg @ 70-75 mph,...costs me 50 bucks to go 400 miles. It was cheaper for me in the long run to put gas in the Cali than to spend north of 25 grand on something "greener"....and uglier.

Total cost for the Caliber for 5 years, (which includes initial cost, gas for 5 years, financing, insurance and normal maintanence) is around 30 grand.

Maybe sometime in the future, "hybirds" will be more affordable to joe lunch box types like me, but until then I'll be "ridin dirty"....

gas has been more then $5 a gallon for many years around my neck of the woods 1.42/Litre X4.5ltrs=6.39 a canadian gallon. diesel is just about the same. If I buy a diesel vehicle I won't have to put any urea in it because it will be a first or sencond gen cummins without electronics and it will be running WVO

Cars like the Volt are only worth getting if they actually save you money. The Volt didn't save anyone, any money. It should have been killed before production.

Lets see......

$40,000 Volt

or

2012 Kia Rio for $13,400. The Rio gets 30city/40hwy.

I would get the Kia.

how true - people will only buy em if they save em money...not to help the environment and be green which is their pompus claim - proof is in the sales

P.S. my jeep patriot gets 40 plus mpg (canadian gallon)

OK. First off, I don't like Obama and I didn't like George W Bush either. Politicians in general suck because big business buys and sells them. Big business runs the world. With that out of the way, you nheed to get some facts straight about the Chevy Voly. Liberals will say I'm wrong because the link I'm posting is from Fox News. There are articles out there from all news outlets to confirm this though. George Bush was the one who granted low interest loans to GM and Chrysler to keep them from going under. Read the article. Bush wanted the Volt to help reduce our dependence on oil.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG.../26/george-w-bush-father-modern-electric-car/

how true - people will only buy em if they save em money...not to help the environment and be green which is their pompus claim - proof is in the sales

P.S. my jeep patriot gets 40 plus mpg (canadian gallon)

so very true,....besides the fact that even though hybirds and diesels sell well overseas, the majority of U.S. americans just don't cotton to diesels or hybirds,(gas is still pretty cheap here in the states, but not for long)...and most of us just don't have a use for that much of a truck,...

im ok with polluting the atmosphere in my 16 mile per gallon 40 year old V8 duster. at least i know it isnt going electricute me if i get T boned.

im ok with polluting the atmosphere in my 16 mile per gallon 40 year old V8 duster. at least i know it isnt going electricute me if i get T boned.

or me and my crew if we have to extricate you from that little deathbox after you get t-boned...

or me and my crew if we have to extricate you from that little deathbox after you get t-boned...

lmao, or get our faces burned off by battery acid...or are those acidless batteries..tells you how much i care about an electric car. they should have called it the chevy jolt

Can't tell you what they are either, but we got a laptop in the rescue that will tell us,...tells us where all the gas cylinders are for the air bags are as well,...It 's not nice to cut them with the jaws,...bad things happen very rapidly....same with maga-volt power cables...

Personally I would not spend $40,000 or more for any car, its just a freaken car. Got other stuff to spend my money on

Now if I had too much money, then that is different but that isn't the case, lol

Fed Up

If folks vote in governments
that get to be choosers
Of who becomes winners
and who becomes losers

We’d all be driving around
looking like Dolts
In our little green Edsels
they call chevy volts

Savin’ the planet
has become such a scam
Me thinks I’ll keep drivin’