Child& Alberts

-

66 Dartman

Reaction score
Been looking at a set of alum rods for my stroker build,
Anyone have thoughts on them good,bad,ugly???
I havent used them so just looking for some input,
Thanks Ed.

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJH8E9qSEYOcrBQ4EhgVdCg~~48_20.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 332
Are they new? If not and they are used I would pass on them. It's impossible to look at a set and know much use they've had. But C & A are a good brand.

Hey guys, how about schooling us on alumnium rods. I know they're lighter but do they really stretch all that much?

I've ran them in the last 4 Race motors I have built for myself. I've never had a rod fail. Even when I run them waaaay longer than I should. Myself I have always used Bill Miller.

they do grow a long way but the big issue here is that the big end grows and the bear gets loose and cant get the heat out of it and if the oil get really hot may loose enough that they move around get oil on the back side.
i know people that have run them on the street but the set up the rod for max bearing crush and never ran the engine for a extended period of time. so you better find someone that has a lot of experience with them to give you pointers

they do grow a long way but the big issue here is that the big end grows and the bear gets loose and cant get the heat out of it and if the oil get really hot may loose enough that they move around get oil on the back side.
i know people that have run them on the street but the set up the rod for max bearing crush and never ran the engine for a extended period of time. so you better find someone that has a lot of experience with them to give you pointers

This was funny to read! I like the bear getting loose part...!!

i have BME (Bill Miller) aluminum in my 362''.

Attachments

• 009 [640x480].JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 008 [640x480].JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 257
I think the question becomes what are you gaining by them? If they are a deal - the bearings and tolerances will need to be different for them - so bear that in mind. You won't break them, and it will rev quickly. They do stretch more so again, bear that in mind when you're having the machining done. It's usually cost-prohibitive to use them in a street engine. But I'd have no big problem running them (a brand new set) if they were available. You will not get extended life from them, and you better be very careful because marks on the rods can lead to fractures, but they'll work.

Have seen some builders in the past,use aluminum rods to take the "shock" to cast crank builds.Anyone seen this before,first hand?

A little beyond half way down this page
http://www.bmeltd.com/rods.htm
BME talks about using them in a street motor....Years ago I helped a fellow that used C&A aluminum rods in his race motor. Only troubles we had was the life span of them.....If ran thru enough passes they would fail.......

aluminum rods dont like the back pressure from backing of the gas at end of a run,..that will make them stretch,..imo you should only use them in a all out race motor when budget is of no consequence...

-
Back