Chinese 1.6 steel roller rockers

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
WOuld you run these on a mild build 360 (street only) with a mild cam?
Crane 693901
Cam Style:Hydraulic flat tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range:1,500-4,500

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:204

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:216

Duration at 050 inch Lift:204 int./216 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:260

Advertised Exhaust Duration:272

Advertised Duration:260 int./272 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.427 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.454 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.427 int./0.454 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):112

Computer-Controlled Compatible:No

Grind Number:H-260-2

Or would you run 273 adjustable rockers?

primary goal is longevity, pretty sure I need hardened rocker shafts for the needle bearings of the chinese 1.6 roller rockers (where do you get the hardened rocker shafts or shop for shorted pushrods {.040 milled heads}?)

THANK YOU!

If they are steel, I run them. But not with a needle bearing on the shaft. Mine are bushed.

Are you sure they have a needle bearing?

That Crane cam has pretty mild ramps so going with 1.6 rockers won't put an unusually high load on the lobes or anything else. My son and I went with Crane with that being one of the reasons.

For longevity, I'd still look at hardened shafts. You can get them from Mancini. Buuuuut, the rocker manufacturers may set the shaft hole size where it bolts down to the rocker stand that brings oil up through the head specifically to manage oil flow. I got some PRW needle types and the shafts had a smaller hole there than stock.... I asked and that was for oil control. So I don't know how the Mancini shafts would be in that regards. If the hole was large and the flow was too much, you could put a restrictor elsewhere.

Do your rockers have an oil hole to put oil to the roller?

BTW, what pistons are you using? Or are they stock ones?

image.jpg
Heads are 4027596 milled .040
And correspondingly milled on the intake side

Carb choices are Edelbrock 1406, Holley or thermoquad

OK, sounds like oil to the roller tips (if I understood what you said....)

And good on the pistons and head milling.... looks like you will be around 9:1 SCR with 1008 head gaskets and then about a 7.6 DCR if you use an installed ICL of 106. Easy to tune up to that.

Run stock rockers, and pushrods.., please.. Grey.. I went with Cat Chinese rockers, metallurgy issues everywhere. That's a great cam, B.T.W... And remember most unported small block heads, stall flow wise about.420" - .440" ish, on lift. JMHO... Play it safe, reliability wise....

Run stock rockers, and pushrods.., please.. Grey.. I went with Cat Chinese rockers, metallurgy issues everywhere. That's a great cam, B.T.W... And remember most unported small block heads, stall flow wise about.420" - .440" ish, on lift. JMHO... Play it safe, reliability wise....

Weren't those cat rockers with needle bearings and aluminum bodies? These are PRW stainless steel rockers without needle bearings. Two different animals.

The OP will be fine with PRW SS rockers. I haven't broke one yet. And I beat the poop out of it. And I run a .620 lift cam with 420 pounds over the nose and turn it 7200. If they were going to fail...ill get it.

hardened shafts are for needle bearings. Bushings float on a hydrodynamic wedge...er, OIL.

I thought you were gonna run the Crane magic cam. Neither of those you listed is it.

I thought you were gonna run the Crane magic cam. Neither of those you listed is it.
I read wrong what I wrote down 693901 when you told me Crane Camshaft 693801.
I have to build 3 360's to finish the cars that I have and am considering the 693801 along with 2.02/1.60 J heads that have been completed. This is my first 360 build, using cheap, often less desirable parts that I purchased over the years using less informed decisions-i.e. mistakes on the path to performance, or left overs, what ever you want to call it.

The goal for this first engine is daily driving with Air Conditioning to and from work in my Dodge Aspen.

So is is the 801 or the 901? The 801 is for higher compression engines..... I would not look at it at all as a daily driver cam.

I have the 693901.

Rusty recommended the 693801.

I misread his recommendation which I wrote down.

This first engine is utilizing all the mistaken, or free, or lot part group, etc. purchase parts I have to collected.
Iron stock four barrel intake, stock heads, 405 speed pro Pistons vice 116, stock rods, stock heads, etc.

The goal is for a daily driver with A/C, stick shift, 3700? Pound car, street driven car.

I wouldn't call any of it mistakes yet. It's probably gonna run pretty dang good. Your foundations are good ones.

This is the one I am talking about.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693801

About as good a daily driver as you can get.
With a 222@.50" and 278 advertised? At least the LSA is 114 to help a bit. Crane's description in their catalog for the 801:
"Good mid range torque and HP, fair idle, daily performance
usage, mild bracket racing, mild supercharged,
small nitrous system, 3000-3400 cruise RPM, 9.5 to
10.75 compression ratio advised." The OP's SCR/ DCR with the 801 will be 8.9/7.0 with the 801 installed at 106 ICL, which is around 3 degrees more advanced than the ground-in advance.

It says daily 'performance' usage, not daily driver. I think it would be good for 'horsing around' on the street, i.e., revving it up and having a little fun, and the top end of the RPM range will be a lot better above 5000 RPM.

The 693901 is 204 at .050", 260 advertised, 112 LSA. Crane's description is " Great low end torque and HP, smooth idle, daily usage, off road, towing, economy, mild marine performance,
also mild turbocharged, 2200-2600 cruise RPM, 8.0 to
9.5 compression ratio advised." The OP's SCR/DCR with the 901 will be 8.9/7.5 with the ICL set at 106, which will be 1 degree or so more advanced than the ground-in advance.

The 901 is much, much more what I would look for in a daily driver. (I might actually go up one step.) It matches up better to the static CR that the OP will have with the 405 pistons, and move around at lower speeds in traffic better. IMHO, a 3700 lb car with manual stick IN TRAFFIC will be a happier car with the 901 cam. The usable RPM range will start around 600-800 RPM lower and I expect the economy to be noticeably better; it has 15 degrees less overlap.

What is your daily driving like, OP? More open highway, or more mixed highway and traffic, or ????

I am running these on my big block.

Performance World 367180 BB Mopar stainless steel 1.50 roller rockers

I suspect they are the same as the other chinese ones. I had to spend some time shimming them side to side for proper chuck and centering over the valve. So far I have about 1000 street miles and 15 or 20 passes down the drag strip on them with no issues.

They are bushed and the manufacturing fits / finish is quite nice.

-
Back