Chinese BBD Knockoff...?

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
I have sold a 318 to a family member who is retired and he's having issues with the plugs fouling. The 318 I have gone over and I even did a compression check to prove it isn't the engine. 125 PSI even across all 8 cylinders. It is smoking bad and I installed new plugs "as a test" and said "if these plugs foul there is an issue..." I attempted to ajust that Chinese BBD but it is dumping fuel you can smell it. Oh, the car sat and the owner said " I took the carb apart and cleaned it out..."? I suppose my question is is it worth it to try and open this Chinese knock off up and make adjustments to the float etc? I have bought Knock off carbs for snow blowers etc. and am familiar that the internals aren't really serviceable like an old original Carter unit. I have an old BBD laying around that I have never ran so I don't know if it works, I told him Id stop by and bolt it up as a "test unit" to verify that Chinese carb is the culprit. I may rebuild my carter first though . Either way has anyone any experience with getting these Chinese knock offs to actually work right? the things I'm seeing on line about these chinese carbs don't look good...Thanks!

You would be better off to kit the old BBD. THey are simple carbs and work well freshened up. Just make sure the float is good. Put it in a pan of water over night and force it to stay under water with a coffee cup. Shake it to check to see if it took on water.

You would be better off to kit the old BBD. THey are simple carbs and work well freshened up. Just make sure the float is good. Put it in a pan of water over night and force it to stay under water with a coffee cup. Shake it to check to see if it took on water.
That's what I'm thinking . Its the wife's uncle he's 85 beleive it or not and still playing with hot rods, its a 49 Plymouth coupe. Im just trying to help him out. I saw it running and immediately said "Its running rich" I think its dumping fuel bad. His neighbor is condemning the engine I said "that black smoke isn't oil burning..." the rationale is "the carburetor is new" I'm saying "I don't trust knock off parts..." Im planning to go over my BBD just as a test carb for now to prove to the old fella his "new" carb isn't working right.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking . Its the wife's uncle he's 85 beleive it or not and still playing with hot rods, its a 49 Plymouth coupe. Im just trying to help him out. I saw it running and immediately said "Its running rich" I think its dumping fuel bad. His no nothin neighbor is condemning the engine I said "that black smoke isn't oil burning..." the rationale is "the carburetor is new" I'm saying "I don't trust knock off parts..." Im planning to go over my BBD just as a test carb for now to prove to the old fella his "new" carb isn't working right.
It could be a fuel pump as well. A buddy bolted a new Car Quest pump onto his 440 and it put out 15# and the carb wouldn't keep up with that.

Well I went to his house last time put new plugs in and fired it up it was unusually loud. at some point he said "there no exhaust coming out of the right pipe" went and checked and then looked under the car, the right muffler was blown wide open I said "did you have a backfire...?" so I know he at least loaded the rightr bank up and had an explosion in the exhaust... like said hes condemning the engine but evidence points to a flooding condition...fouled plugs blown muffler etc.

I was playing with it today, the Chinese carb is unresponsive to idle adjustments I recommended he rebuild his Carter but I think the guy is going to buy another$ 80 Chinese knock off BBD. The oil level is dead on, oil clean no gas smell...The guy doesn't want to do the rebuild for some reason....He did say he had a fire, backfired through the carb and something may have messed up inside the carb.I do know he blew the muffler up...does Woodruff carburetor rebuid BBD's...?

Last edited:
I was playing with it today, the Chinese carb is unresponsive to idle adjustments I recommended he rebuild his Carter but I think the guy is going to buy another$ 80 Chinese knock off BBD. The oil level is dead on, oil clean no gas smell...The guy doesn't want to do the rebuild for some reason....He did say he had a fire, backfired through the carb and something may have messed up inside the carb.I do know he blew the muffler up...does Woodruff carburetor rebuid BBD's...?
I’m sure Dana will rebuild any carb. Kim

i had success with the chinese carb
this was 10+ years ago a low top early bbd with the accelerator pump rod through the top of the bowl sold by "sherryberg" on ebay/aliexpress

mine came to me as a 318 carb and i neded one for an austrlain 265
so i swapped the rods jets pump jet weights ball bearings and spring from an old worn 265 carb into the chinese carb and it ran ok..

i used my orginal base gasket
my original pipe for the choke vacuum kicker

the main benefit of these carbs is getting a carb base that is not completely worn out at the throttle shaft bushes
and a top with intage horn that isn't buckled due to too tight on the air filter clamp

the whole top of your old carb grafted onto the base on the new carb might be just what you need.

one presumes if one factory in china had success making these things for somone a whole load of copy cats now exist... they used to come out of the factory that US companies like EMPI and Entek used for Solex/Kardron 40mm and Weber IDF and ICT copies.
JinLin Fajs was the company in china they make decent throttle bodies.

the quality of mine was not great, the hardware is none standard the pipes and gaskets were crap but mechanically it wasn't bad

i.e if you had to buy a chinese carb get one from Jinlin Fajs they at least potentially made them at the request of some US company, so at some point had strict instruction regarding specification and quality.

thir name will also appear on the Carb or its packaging...i.e indicates some pride in what they made

Dave

Last edited:
I am thinking at the least the knockoff carb should be set up and the specs checked etc. I think the fella just buys em and bolts em on... what sucks is I sold him the 318 he washed the cylinders down with gas now it smokes...I said "if the rings aren't sealed it may be because ya washed em down with gas...thing is though the smoke doesn't smell like oil whatever it is I don't think its oil, the smoke is like its rich only it isn't black smoke...more of a dark gray...right now I'm rebuilding my Carter BBD and will try that ...

Last edited:
1....Change the oil for sure. May damage bearings and in worse situations can cause crankcase explosion
2....You MAY have dirt getting through the fuel system, even dirt that the filter cannot trap, that is causing needle/ seat leakage.

The biggest problem my dad had about 40 years ago with those BBD carbs was GM (holden) mechanics pulling them apart and not putting the two ball bearings back in in the correct places. My dear old dad always used the say the only problem with a Valiant was the holden (GM) mechanics working on them!

i had success with the chinese carb
this was 10+ years ago a low top early bbd with the accelerator pump rod through the top of the bowl sold by "sherryberg" on ebay/aliexpress

mine came to me as a 318 carb and i neded one for an austrlain 265
so i swapped the rods jets pump jet weights ball bearings and spring from an old worn 265 carb into the chinese carb and it ran ok..

i used my orginal base gasket
my original pipe for the choke vacuum kicker

the main benefit of these carbs is getting a carb base that is not completely worn out at the throttle shaft bushes
and a top with intage horn that isn't buckled due to too tight on the air filter clamp

the whole top of your old carb grafted onto the base on the new carb might be just what you need.

one presumes if one factory in china had success making these things for somone a whole load of copy cats now exist... they used to come out of the factory that US companies like EMPI and Entek used for Solex/Kardron 40mm and Weber IDF and ICT copies.
JinLin Fajs was the company in china they make decent throttle bodies.

the quality of mine was not great, the hardware is none standard the pipes and gaskets were crap but mechanically it wasn't bad

i.e if you had to buy a chinese carb get one from Jinlin Fajs they at least potentially made them at the request of some US company, so at some point had strict instruction regarding specification and quality.

thir name will also appear on the Carb or its packaging...i.e indicates some pride in what they made

Dave
Thanks. I watched youtube and all I saw was a guy knocking the internals of the knock off BBD because of the materials i.e the float retainer horseshoe wasn't stainless steel etc. not a word of what is actually bad about them I have had a knock off snow blower carb apart and certain things about them are questionable like a nylon plastic needle seat which cant be replaced etc. or plastic floats LOL! little things that I dislike personally but if it works or is serviceable I say its a go LOL! for the price they are pretty much worth a try but if the think floods and leaks and causes a fire maybe not I will say the guy that owns the carb may be the problem...? as in I dont want to knock it just yet but I may already have...LOL!

Well the person called and told me they installed their new knock off carb and no more smoke, said it is running rough I said "maybe ya need plugs from all the fouling..." anyway he said the other carb was missing the check balls I said "that ll do it..." anyhow, I'm releived it isnt or wasnt the engine it was apparent it was flooded and his neighbor was condemning the engine...I said "well, its dumping fuel.." and after seeing the muffler exploded i knew raw fuel had gotten to the exhaust side...anyway I have my old Carter BBD on the rebuild bench for future reference...I am supposed to stop over check timing and tune the engine a bit for him well see how that goes.

-
Back