Chrysler brings back the Dodge Dart

-
I rented a tiny little Fiat in Spain once and it was a blast to drive. Slow but fun handling. If Fiat can put some of that into this Dart with good styling this would be a fun econobox.

I'd consider an SRT-4 when it comes out but living in Colorado I'd still rather have something AWD. I still hate the look of most new cars though, so freakin' round it's not cool-looking to me.

Chrysler brings back the Dodge Dart........................in name only. That's ok. At least the name is not lost. They didn't try for a retro and besides, which model year would they duplicate?

hate it, i think they're ruining the names of good looking cars back in the day too much now. If they built a nice car (2dr option, but then again there is almost no car that is 4dr with a 2dr option these days) with sharp lines and an optional v8 id love the idea, but just using a name on this little 4door eco crap thing to get peoples attention like its doing all over here doesn't get me excited.

Chrysler brings back the Dodge Dart........................in name only. That's ok. At least the name is not lost. They didn't try for a retro and besides, which model year would they duplicate?

X2,, That thought occured to me as well.. I dont know, the more I read this, maybe I was too harsh at first.. I really cant expect a re-creation of the 69 Dart LOL .. and truthfully, if memory serves, the Darts were the 'compact' cars of the day right? I mean they were the baby cousins to the big boys, So... it only stands to reason that 40 some odd years later, it would be a small, fuel efficient and most likely fun car.. I agree they need 2 door and 4 door models (like the original) and maybe it would be cool to to take my 40mpg Dart to work everyday and my 10mpg Dart out on the weekends.. LMAO .. idk,, like I said, I will wait til its closer to release and more is known about all the features, options, and final appearance..

Did you notice the R/T badging on the website pic? Finally, a Dart R/T and it's only going to have half an engine under the hood.
It's going to be based on the Alpha Romeo Giulietta, but on a lengthened and widened platform.

I bet that "half an engine" makes more power than a stock 71 318. Too bad it has that high back end, just looks too common in these small cars to be really "unique". wonder what my beater 96 Breeze will fetch as a trade in?

This is more appropriate for the 2-door, IMO.
dodgedartrt1rk4.jpg

More concept speculation on found on the web.

Attachments

• fiat.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 305
  • Dart.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 335
Yeah there you go lets write to Chrysler and suggest the two door be called a Demon....

Exactly how did Chrysler screw teachers and cops?
They had some funds invested in Chrysler & then when they filed BR they paid on other things and left the teachers and firefighters hanging. Thats when the attorny general filed a law suit and had a good case, well then our goverment stepped in and sided with FIAT, I mean chrysler. After that I was done with them. Wanna see a Dodge salesman get a loos for words/ ask him if the sale of this car your looking at will go to the people Chrysler screwd LOL

Im watingto se it come out and test drive one to see what there like then i will start taking **** lol btw i thing the chargers getting better slowly and the callenger ws bad *** to start with .. and as for u guys that say but the calley come with a 6 banger boo hoo they came out with slants in the day lmao

I think it looks better than that photochopped 2 door a few pages back, that's NOT what it looks like...

This is what it looks like-

2013-dodge-hornet.jpg

Still, would have been nice if they gave the grille or taillights a tweak to pay a little homage.

But the 2.4 is the same 2.4 that was used in the Neon SRT4's, and with the "multiair" technology from Fiat will probably do better than the NA 2.4's that were in the PT Cruiser. Still, it would be nice to see a SRT 2.4 turbo again. The '04 SRT4 I had was pretty quick. Not big block A-body quick, but a fun car.

As far as all the bashing, Darts were ALWAYS economy cars. /6's, 318's were by far the majority. Yes, there were some racers, but for the most part the A-body's were grocery getters. And I'm guessing that 2.4 will probably put out more HP than the 318 did most years.

And its being built in the US, both the car and the engine. So, what's the problem? It isn't going to hurt us any, and we aren't the marketing audience anyway.

I will prob get one for the wife. Just don't like the raised roof almost looks like a bubble on wheels. a lot like the earlier model focus. If its flatter I would be more inclined.. but we'll see

I will give it a chance. But this is where car companies usually fail. If you going to bring a name back like the GTO or Charger or in this case a Dodge Dart you must pay respect to the original.

I realize it can't be too much like the original but if you stray too far away from what Americans remember you will have a hard time selling them. When Mercedes own Chrysler and now Fiat the problem is the people in charge didn't have a Dart GTS or wagon so how could they possibly design one.

I really think they need to talk to the consumers more.

How can you get excited about a 2012 Dart that looks like this? I mean would the Mustang be as popular if it were built on a Focus Platform? Would people desire a new Camaro if it looked like a Aveo? I understand a new model with good MPG and all but Why Dart? Why not Vart or Jart or FART? Have they run out of new model car names? I'll bet people wouldn't have received the new Challenger if it looked like this.

And its being built in the US, both the car and the engine. So, what's the problem? It isn't going to hurt us any, and we aren't the marketing audience anyway.

so are a bunch of toyota and hondas but thats not usually good enough for the buy american crowd. foreign is foreign right? anything chrysler is fiat and that sure isn't american.

I mean would the Mustang be as popular if it were built on a Focus Platform?

well it did start out on a falcon platform...lmao.. and do you remember the awlful mustang II lol

well it did start out on a falcon platform...lmao.. and do you remember the awlful mustang II lol

That awful Mustang II had a rack and pinion system several years before the Corvette, and is still coveted by chassis fabricators. They also could be ordered with 302 engines, arguably the most efficient HP per cubic inch mill ever developed....and in a very light car.

BTW, that is one SWEEET 71 Swinger!

-
Back