Chrysler Turbine Car, any info of, Please!

-

64dart170

Reaction score
I didn't know if one was started yet.
Hope Mods don't mind but it was close enough to be here right?
Anything you guys got post here so I can learn more about these cars.
I just love the look and sound. Also like being able to burn anything I can put down it's neck.
They should design a coal gas fired 64 Dart too! I'd buy it! LOL!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4k0UPjUh4"]YouTube - Rare Chrysler Turbine Car 2010[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUf42Nv5GZY&feature=related"]YouTube - Chrysler Turbine Operation movie[/ame]

Way Cool!:cool:

Way NOT COOL!!!Warning Shocking vid!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKumqcKuv1g&feature=related"]YouTube - Chrysler Turbine Cars being destroyed[/ame]

I some where read about the cars. Try www.allpar.com. I remember some talk about them when I was younger, I think one was in a movie. I was lucky enough to see one on display about three years ago in a car musium in Richland MI. I read that the cars were given out to people to try out and some were never given back to Chrysler and were forgotten about. Wouldn't that be a barn find!

I some where read about the cars. Try www.allpar.com. I remember some talk about them when I was younger, I think one was in a movie. I was lucky enough to see one on display about three years ago in a car musium in Richland MI. I read that the cars were given out to people to try out and some were never given back to Chrysler and were forgotten about. Wouldn't that be a barn find!

WOW! No Kiddin!!!
Would love to suprise FABO with a new chapter in the

CAR HUNT! FABOZENE:cool:

thread with one of those in a mid western barn!!!!

Saw a story where a guy was restoring one and sought help from Jay Leno to secure parts from Chrysler I believe to supply rare parts needed to finish the car. Parts were found and car finished.

theres one on display in the chrysler museum in auburn hills MI [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zeyvAq55AE&playnext=1&list=PL3F6F1BB93368FB1E"]YouTube - Chrysler Turbine car 1963[/ame]

There was 3 at the museum but they scaled back and the working one was given to Jay Leno to maintain in his collection , 1 was kept for the display and I don't know what happened to the third

a few years ago there was an article in mopar collectors guide about finding one in a warehouse sealed in a bubble. along with other rare mopars.

Of the 50 or so Chrysler Turbines made, all but one was painted Turbine Bronze. One was painted white for the 1964 James Darrin movie, "The Lively Set". If you've ever seen the movie its basically a thinly disguised promotional film for the turbine car program.
The car bodies were hand built by Ghia of Italy at a rather high cost and shipped to Detroit where the drive train was installed. Rather than paying a rather high import tarriff on the car bodies, Chrysler instead had all but nine cars destroyed under the watchful eye of the government (thus the film proof of the cars destruction). Chrysler removed the engines first to complete their study on the project. Chrysler payed the import duty on the nine car bodies only. They kept three, and after disabling the others so no competitors could steal the technology, they donated the remaining cars to museums. Two are in private hands. One is Jay Leno's which was one of the three that Chrysler kept. The other that is in private hands was purchased from the Harrah Museum collection when the collection was liquidated. Jay Leno was instrumental in convincing Chrysler to sell a turbine engine to the owner of the Harrah car to make it operational.
The Smithsonian owns one, though they may not have displayed it since the 70's. The Peterson Museum has one on display. The Chrysler museum has one on display, the Henry Ford museum has one on display, and a couple other museums each have one.
If any are left hiding in a barn anywhere, they would have had to have been pretty much destroyed or stolen before the end of the three year consumer test period. I have heard that the hot exhaust pipes on one car set dry leaves on fire and was burned up. The white movie car doesn't show up in the video of the cars being destroyed, maybe that one is still out there somewhere. Also, at least one Turbine car made a world tour. If it never came back into the US, they may not have had to destroy it.
The three year consumer test was the final step before putting the engine into a production car. The high fuel consumption and a lag time in throttle response were the most likely factors that kept it out of a production car, as they went back to the drawing board to overcome those problems (which they may have done prior to the financial problems of the late 70's). The first production turbine car was planned to have been the 66 Charger (with a grille that would have looked similar to that of a 70 Challenger).

The Gilmore car museum in Hickory Corners, MI has one as well as the Chrysler museum in Auburn Hills, MI. I've seen both and took a ton of pics, none of which are on my laptop.

Of the 50 or so Chrysler Turbines made, all but one was painted Turbine Bronze. One was painted white for the 1964 James Darrin movie, "The Lively Set". If you've ever seen the movie its basically a thinly disguised promotional film for the turbine car program.
The car bodies were hand built by Ghia of Italy at a rather high cost and shipped to Detroit where the drive train was installed. Rather than paying a rather high import tarriff on the car bodies, Chrysler instead had all but nine cars destroyed under the watchful eye of the government (thus the film proof of the cars destruction). Chrysler removed the engines first to complete their study on the project. Chrysler payed the import duty on the nine car bodies only. They kept three, and after disabling the others so no competitors could steal the technology, they donated the remaining cars to museums. Two are in private hands. One is Jay Leno's which was one of the three that Chrysler kept. The other that is in private hands was purchased from the Harrah Museum collection when the collection was liquidated. Jay Leno was instrumental in convincing Chrysler to sell a turbine engine to the owner of the Harrah car to make it operational.
The Smithsonian owns one, though they may not have displayed it since the 70's. The Peterson Museum has one on display. The Chrysler museum has one on display, the Henry Ford museum has one on display, and a couple other museums each have one.
If any are left hiding in a barn anywhere, they would have had to have been pretty much destroyed or stolen before the end of the three year consumer test period. I have heard that the hot exhaust pipes on one car set dry leaves on fire and was burned up. The white movie car doesn't show up in the video of the cars being destroyed, maybe that one is still out there somewhere. Also, at least one Turbine car made a world tour. If it never came back into the US, they may not have had to destroy it.
The three year consumer test was the final step before putting the engine into a production car. The high fuel consumption and a lag time in throttle response were the most likely factors that kept it out of a production car, as they went back to the drawing board to overcome those problems (which they may have done prior to the financial problems of the late 70's). The first production turbine car was planned to have been the 66 Charger (with a grille that would have looked similar to that of a 70 Challenger).

WOW!:downtown: COOL!!
Wonder where the white one is??.....:scratch:

I can remember back in the day STP ran one of those engines in the Indy 500 just one time, it ran so fast and got such good milage that it had two laps on the entire field but suffered a $10 part failure and did not finish the race. It was then quickly banned and not allowed back.....Larry

I remember seeing one drive around my neighborhood in Dearborn heights
when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I saw it two or three times and would
stop whatever I was doing and watch it slowly cruise by. Very cool car.

-
Back