CL AD Not mine-Driver, '64 Dart 273 V-8 auto $2,450 So. California

-

ledman

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
This is not my car, nor do I know the seller!

Came across this one while perusing CL, what say you A body forums?
Looks pretty straight for a 50 year old car, no major dents.
I am wanting to go check it out...anyone interested LMK. Has a GT emblem on it, but not sure how to tell if it is a real GT. I guess the fender tag would tell the story.
I sent the seller and email requesting the fender tag if he has it.
I know these "A" bodies are not every-ones cup of tea, but they seem to appeal to me for some reason.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4719429128.html

1964 Dodge Dart 2 door with 273 V8 motor. Within the last 9000 miles transmission rebuilt, radiator replaced, new alternator, new starter, battery, new fuel pump. Disc brakes, ac, power steering, newer tires. Daily driver. The only rust is in lower rear quarter panel and would be an easy repair.760-three10-seven295. Clean title in hand. 2015 registration paid.

I spoke with the owner this morning. He bought the car from a neighbor as it needed a fuel pump and starter which he replaced just a few weeks ago. He has been driving it everyday working out the small kinks that come up as he is a mechanic he said. He has only had the car for a few weeks and just bought it to save it from the crusher.

The engine has low compression in 1 cylinder and he believes it needs a valve job. Quarter panel is bondo'ed...about 6 inches from the bottom up.
The ac works but it's leaking and he said he is fixing that today.
Drivers seat is blown out it needs redone or replaced.
Head liner torn but not terrible yet he said.
He said engine power is about at 75%. Doesn't burn or leak oil.
It has dual exhaust and he said it sound like it has a cam in it due to the engine lope.
Floor pans are good. Trunk pan has a few dime size rust holes.
Suspension makes a creaking noise on the front passenger side at parking lot speeds.
He said tires are good...but the wheels are small 14 inch.
Front brakes have been upgraded to disc manual brakes.

Obviously at this price it's going to have issues. He is getting an estimate for a valve job if the prospective buyer is interested in getting it done.
It has the fender tag but I didn't get a pic of it.

The guys name is Tom. Seemed like a nice guy he took the time to tell me what he could about the car.

GT is just a trim level. Its got an "Ahh-Ooo-gah" horn too! Man, that thing looks pretty good!

Ha, those last two pics links were broken when I first replied so I never saw them. Im going to backpedal a bit and say this may be rusty beyond a quarter panel replacement.

Good price...

Yes, old Mopars from California do rust in all those places mopars rust from...

GT is just a trim level. Its got an "Ahh-Ooo-gah" horn too! Man, that thing looks pretty good!

That's what that thing is lol I was wondering. Yeah it's a good driving project but more than I can tackle personally.

You Cali guys are spoiled...LOL
Up here that is a 6-8k car. V8, ac and clean! Go get the damned thing already!! lol

Up here that is a 6-8k car. V8, ac and clean! Go get the damned thing already!! lol
Lol for sure and a v8 with air???!!! WOW awesome

I'd like too...but I don't have the abilities to fix the motor or the bankroll to back it up.

Yeah I know seems to be too good to be true.
Maybe I should buy it...but it scares me I will just be one of those guys that just ends up selling it at a loss because I can't afford to fix it up

Price is lowered to $2600

Does anyone have a rough idea, on what it would cost to get a valve job done on the motor? IF I could score the car a little cheaper, I may be able to afford it.

At that price just buy it and save the money until you can do the motor work. Do your own compression test, might find its good ....

With power steering and it has a dual reservoir master already installed. Needs som tlc but not a bad project car. Wish I was closer. lol tmm

With this rust and the motor issue I wouldn't go over $2K. That rust is all in the rear wheel lips. You'll need new quarters and new outer portions of the wheel tubs. I'd really think there could be more rust in this car than that. What does the spare tire well and trunk under the mat look like?

I see rust around the radiator cap. Is that overflow hose originally clear or was it orange? If clear, then it been puking rusty water. And if so, chance of partially plugged radiator and rusted up innards. Also chance it's been overheating and overflowing so they don't bother putting expensive radiator coolant in it.

I think I'd just look for another car.

Come up to LA for Fall Fling next Saturday and look for something better.

00D0D_6k56jrBohbg_600x450.jpg

00L0L_foT2CfirHVP_600x450.jpg

With this rust and the motor issue I wouldn't go over $2K. That rust is all in the rear wheel lips. You'll need new quarters and new outer portions of the wheel tubs. I'd really think there could be more rust in this car than that. What does the spare tire well and trunk under the mat look like?

I see rust around the radiator cap. Is that overflow hose originally clear or was it orange? If clear, then it been puking rusty water. And if so, chance of partially plugged radiator and rusted up innards. Also chance it's been overheating and overflowing so they don't bother putting expensive radiator coolant in it.

I think I'd just look for another car.

Come up to LA for Fall Fling next Saturday and look for something better.

00D0D_6k56jrBohbg_600x450.jpg

00L0L_foT2CfirHVP_600x450.jpg

He just lowered the price again to $2450 FIRM.

I wish I could make the fall fling but I have some family obligations to attend.

How about this one. 66 dart gt 273 v8 console car. $2500 obo. Looks to have some rust also on the passenger side quarter. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4721163268.html

He just lowered the price again to $2450 FIRM.

I wish I could make the fall fling but I have some family obligations to attend.

How about this one. 66 dart gt 273 v8 console car. $2500 obo. Looks to have some rust also on the passenger side quarter. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4721163268.html

Rust and hit by something. And missing headlight trim ring from front fender wreck, etc. Pass on $2500 on that too. Might be a better car than the blue rustbucket, but that's not saying much. Seats look good. Maybe offer $1500 cash or $1800 if it ran and drove pretty nice.

Wasn't there recently a FABO member with a 73 Duster for sale in Orange county?? Blue I think. That seemed like a solid car.

I looked at this one when the first guy wanted $1,300 not running. both rear quarters are shot, both wheel well lips are gone, trunk rusted through on both sides, front trim as hammered as mentioned before, floor pans are questionable, looked rough from under I did not pull carpet.

I might have done it, figured getting it running would be easy but just too much body work for me, even though the 273 with ac was tempting.

Has new wheels since I saw it though :mrgreen:

I looked at this one when the first guy wanted $1,300 not running. both rear quarters are shot, both wheel well lips are gone, trunk rusted through on both sides, front trim as hammered as mentioned before, floor pans are questionable, looked rough from under I did not pull carpet.

I might have done it, figured getting it running would be easy but just too much body work for me, even though the 273 with ac was tempting.

Sounds pimped up for resale.

I bet the first guy didn't get near $1300. IMHO, it really still isn't worth that.

I'd just look for a better car if you had to have a 64-66 V-8 dart.

oh wow, that's good to know. He didn't mention anything about the trunk being rusted through, he said there were a few small holes in the trunk pan is all.

Yeah, I am defiantly passing on this one.:finga:

-
Back