Classic Air vs. Vintage Air

-

solracmopar

Reaction score
I am considering going with either a Classic or Vintage air set up in my 73 Dart. Was wondering if anyone on here has had any luck with either, pros / cons, difficulty of instal etc.? Thanks!

I have had a Classic system for 9 years now. It works well, but not as well as a modern car. I can drive down the highway in Summer and still enjoy the car. I found out that on a sunny day you need tinted windows. Regular windows are like magnifying glasses in the sun.

I live in FL. Weather is outstanding right now but in a few months it'll turn to nasty. I was planning on tinting the windows but am also considering going with one of these new retro fit style a/c systems. Dont feel like dealing with the stock vaccum hoses etc under the dash..

i have had both and problems with classic so now i have vintage in my 69 dart and love it and will freeze you out --i have no luck posting pictures if you or someone will email i can send picture to get posted thanks

I've installed both. Vintage is in a different league. Both can be a little hokey but I wouldn't suggest a classic unit.

I have Vintage Air in my '64 Valiant convertible, and it will freeze you out in 100+ degree weather.

I also have a Vintage Air in my '73 D100 standard cab, and it barely keeps it comfortable. If running on high, the system develops annoying harmonics.

Tech support was excellent during both installations, but they didn't know Mopars, so I had to be creative.

Part quality has been good, with no failures or warranty returns required, but performance is a mixed bag.

I ran into a local Classic dealer at this years Rod Run but from the sounds of it, Vintage is the way to go.

Anyone have any pics they care to post?

Thanks!

Which Vintage cool only model number are you guys installing in 70-72 Darts? Looks like you have to use a universal underdash kit?

I am "rolling my own" in several cars, installing Sanden compressors. I bought a crimper to make my own hoses. With any kit, performance will depend on the refrigerant. I will use a butane mixture, as I have for years in several cars. It performs much better than R-134A, but read up and decide for yourself. I understand that R-134A is being phased out, so if you go with that you may be orphaned as R-12 owners were.

Here are some of Challengers pics he asked I upload to the thread.

Attachments

• c 174.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • c 175.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,083
  • c 194.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,078
  • c 201.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • c 202.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,076
  • c 204.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • c 205.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,042
  • c 222.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • c 225.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • c 229.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,025
thanks for posting --i thought it may help seeing installed vintage air gen 3 and glove box still has room

I'm a Vintage air dealer and my shop also does the installation. The best on the market in my opinion. They work great when installed correctly.

I'm a Vintage air dealer and my shop also does the installation. The best on the market in my opinion. They work great when installed correctly.

What kit would you recommend for an'86 Dodge pickup? I've had no luck with 134 in the stock system. Replaced EVERYTHING, all new parts, high side still crawls to 375 at idle, and the cooling sucks.

Experimented with various amounts of 134, have a 7 blade fan, shroud, all seals etc in place around condenser/radiator. Will pull smoke off a cigarette from 2' away at idle. Cool the condenser with water, pressure falls over, air gets cold like it should. Acts like the condenser isn't efficient enough for 134. Will eventually cool the cab to tolerable on the highway, but riding around town, forget it. Plus the stock blower or plenum isn't up to par, have to run it on high to feel any air, all doors are working, new foam seals etc.

Ambient temps can get up to 110+, I insulated the floorboards, doors, plugged air leaks, window seals etc. $1600 worth of new parts in a system that still doesn't do the job. Tired of jackin' with it, any suggestions?

thanks for posting --i thought it may help seeing installed vintage air gen 3 and glove box still has room

I really like your attention to detail, putting the vent where the factory controls were and the controls where the ashtray was. Very clean installation.

My car had factory air. Has anyone used the stock underdash unit and controls with a modern system? Does someone make a retrofit kit, or do you have to piece it together?

What kit would you recommend for an'86 Dodge pickup? I've had no luck with 134 in the stock system. Replaced EVERYTHING, all new parts, high side still crawls to 375 at idle, and the cooling sucks.

What condenser are you using? It looks like the conderser is not doing it's job. I would use a parrallel flow condenser. If you already have one, it might be defective. On a truck, I doubt it would be too small.

What kit would you recommend for an'86 Dodge pickup? I've had no luck with 134 in the stock system.
Hard to believe the factory system wouldn't cool OK, even in a Texas summer. A fairly simple test would be to install a manual shut-off valve in-line with a heater hose (see posts here). If it works, it could be a permanent fix - just turn it off every summer. My guess is that you are getting hot water flow thru the heater core. Might also try replacing your factory automatic valve. If that doesn't work, you could consider switching to a HC refrigerant, which works much better and works with PAG oil (recall). But read a lot first since there are scary stories of cars maybe blowing up like in Hollywood movies, though no actual story I ever read.

A fairly simple test would be to install a manual shut-off valve in-line with a heater hose ..

An even QUICKER test is a pair of needle-nose vice grips clamped on the heater hose for a couple of days. It's amazing how much cooler the car gets sometimes when you do that! (and yes, it indicates a bad heater shut off valve)

Installed a Classic Air system in my 66 Belvedere ll. Was not happy with it . A lot of trouble with blower motor fan switches going out.

I like your install of the Vintage air in your Dart. Are the round dash vents part of the kit or are they something you found and fit. Looks great. I hate the under dash hanging vents.

-
Back