Okay to get everyone up to speed, this is my dad's

Fastback Formula S
273 Commando
4 speed
(almost Light Brown Metallic)
Barracuda
Vin #BH29E72338371

NOW THE STORY BEHIND MY DAD:

My dad was a connisuer of afordable restorables since High School.
(first car was a 383 Commando Fury)
He didn't let go in marriage either.
He restored(as I remeber)
-3or so A body Cudas
-A few Darts and Dusters
-posibly a Fury or 2
-and a 72 Challenger w/ a 383 Commando
my dad's last muscle car restored was the Challenger

Cuder is now #3 or 4

CUDER'S STORY:
When my mom was pregnant with me, my dad had just bought a 67 Cuda and had started restoring it. My mom was near bed ridden with me, so they would spend their evenings restoring the cuda and just talking (my mom being on a lawn chair in the garage.) my dad could get the original paint code for the cuda so he went with a close Ford color.(the engine bay is the original color)
After many years as a daily driver and a weekend cruiser Cuder was retired to my grandparents celler where he sat from 2005-2008 We got him out and washed him off in mid October. Now here Cuder sits waiting to be fixed. but other things have gotten in the way. The bottoms of the QP's will be replaced, whole car repainted and the interior(seats and carpet) will be renivated.

Now I need your help.
1.Can I contact a manufacterer of QP's to get a patch pannel that will run from bumper to wheel well and about 6-12 inches high.(see picture) Or any better idea's.
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/tanner194/?action=view&current=DSCF1973.jpg

2.Where is the (cheapest) best place to get interior stuff.

Well thanks for reading!
See ya on the forums
Any idea's are welcomed

No, it's still your turn really. What needs to be done is to contact various resto house's and start asking questions.

Cheapest is not allways the best.

So what your saying is find the nearest car restoration shop that might have patch panels?

We're on a budget of about 3-4K for the car and the one big problem is that I live in Idaho. So the panel would be SHIPPED long distance. So if you know of any dependable MANUFACTURES that might be able to punch a piece out in there press or something(i don't even know if that would be logical) I don't know.
I'm sure the best shot we have is patching the thing up ourselves or, going to our local mopar clubs' potluck in the spring. I'm new to any of this. So input, as always, is welcomed.

Welcome to the site tdub. That panel doesn`t look that bad, if I was you I would just buy some steel of the same gauge and weld in the bottom couple inches. If the trunk extension is bad you can find a viable replacement from Auto Body Specialties. Not the very cheapest, but a reputable dealer for soft interior parts is Legendary Interiors.

So what your saying is find the nearest car restoration shop that might have patch panels?

Ummmm, no, not really unless there close by with a good rep and prices that can compete with the resto shop surpliers. What I was meaning was place's like Goodmark, Year One, The Paddock.

Stand by and I'll enter a few links. I personally do not know how well the panels are from anywhere except the floor pans I grab for my Duster. They were OK/fine for use.

Outside panels are something that has to be very good or enter alot of work.

Come on guy's! Anybody done work on this car and/or gotten panels for this area on this car!

I dont believe, anybody`s producing lower patch panels. been looking for awhile. I`ll be tackeling same job soon. Bought a whole quarter couple years back, just to get lower 8'' or so. Seems they could use the same press and just press the lower rear 8". Seems the qtr`s are lowering in price, though. If anybody found lower sections, please chime in.

Ok guys i finaly got around to getting the fender tag down.
So where can i get decoder or something?
I'm pumped to tear into him tomorrow!

Scratch that. Found one.

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 273cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: May 16.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Medium Copper Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
D9: Front Disk Brakes
F7: Barracuda Formula S Package
M2: Unknown Option
R1: AM Radio
T7: Tachometer
X1: Tinted Glass (all)

abc OPTIONS:
b4: Bucket Seats
j4: Moulding - Boldy Sill Narrow
k7: Passenger Outside Manual Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

I dont believe, anybody`s producing lower patch panels. been looking for awhile. I`ll be tackeling same job soon. Bought a whole quarter couple years back, just to get lower 8'' or so. Seems they could use the same press and just press the lower rear 8". Seems the qtr`s are lowering in price, though. If anybody found lower sections, please chime in.

I'm with you I looked all around when I did my 69. I never found any. I made mine like longgone said. Real easy its almost a flat piece, just cut it out and wielded it in

didn't have time Saturday but we found some places in town that sell 22 gauge sheet metal for us. We'll be going there tomorrow.

We got a place whipping us some patches. SHOULD be done today. and our autobody buddies told us about a glue that is just as strong as welding and doesn't warp anything. Whoohoo!

I'll hopefuly be pulling chrome and stuff off tonight to get somewhat ready to strip the paint off. No QP's yet. But pops isn't home yet. Just waiting.

Well, the longer it takes the better they'll be....Hopefuly :D

We got the quarters and they look great. we spent the morning pulling chrome off.(the grill could have been designed better for pulling out but oh well.) So now i gues we'll be cutting out the spot for the quarters.

Going great,
tdub:-D

There is a easier way to remove the barracuda grilles. Pull the entire header panel and lay it face down. Too late now I know.
If you broke some or all of the rusty mounting studs there's a way to replace those too.
Good luck

Cars look pretty weird without chrome. Can't wait to start on that quarter panel. What should we use to cut it out? angle head grinder? I don't know.

My dad's been on a buisness trip for the past few days. We haven't made progress past the chrome. Hopefuly We'll get somethin' done on Friday!
Oh! We bought some new cupholders to go in the windows.(the old MugHuggers were bout toast!)

Just waitin for our classic rock station to play "Barracuda" while we're working.8)

We'll definatly be working tomorrow. If we don't I'll just throw a fit like a little four year old and storm into my room. Unless something better gets in the way.(fat chance) Oh. and the old man brought back chicago deep dish. i'll be trying that in the next 3 min.

That pizza looks like they just baked a roll of cheese on some bread crust and put a little sauce on top.

-
Back