Coil position ??

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
I sent the MSD 8207 coil, that caught fire, back to Amazon for a replacement. I went out and bought a MSD 8202 to replace it.
The 8202 says it should be installed standing upright. Not lying on its side as every other coil I remember seeing.

I guess they do not want the oil to leak out. I do not remember ever seeing a bracket that would facilitate it standing upright?

What have you done with a new coil

I have mine mounted on the firewall.

Attachments

• Weiand.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 384
Its a can full of oil. Why would you want to store it on its side? Much more R&D goes into an oem coil than a aftermarket one. OEM are overbuilt/under performing units for a reason. Mount aftermarket upright or go better and get an Crane E-core PS-91/92 coil.

Lots of older cars ran the coils on their side, Ford especially. I don't know "what's changed." Some of them were upside down vertical, as well.

OEM stuff is sealed better. Lots of oem 'other than vert' installs out there.

Its a can full of oil. Why would you want to store it on its side? Much more R&D goes into an oem coil than a aftermarket one. OEM are overbuilt/under performing units for a reason. Mount aftermarket upright or go better and get an Crane E-core PS-91/92 coil.

This.

Dont tell anyone...but I have been driving my 73 Duster with a MSD Blaster 11 on its side for almost 10 yrs...and it gets pretty hot out here in Vegas...

Mine will not mount to the firewall, I have factory A/C and it gets in the way.
I came up with a fast jig that will do the job. I will rebuild it tomorrow and size it correctly, sand it down and paint.
This is the jerry-rigged jig that I built after supper.

Ed

Attachments

• 2013-12-26 20.19.23.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 346
Mine will not mount to the firewall, I have factory A/C and it gets in the way.
I came up with a fast jig that will do the job. I will rebuild it tomorrow and size it correctly, sand it down and paint.
This is the jerry-rigged jig that I built after supper.

Ed

Today I got the raw materials and built a proper adapter to hold the coil vertical. I took off the red haysite jig and built a proper adapter for the coil.
Building the haysite jig took no time at all to get it on. The permanent sheet steel and slight modifications to the bracket took a couple hours longer. But it is done. Cost less than $20 in materials. I did not use all the materials, I save for other projects, so it cost about $6 actual parts.
Is everybody happy?

Dont tell anyone...but I have been driving my 73 Duster with a MSD Blaster 11 on its side for almost 10 yrs...and it gets pretty hot out here in Vegas...

X2 ^^^I've had an Blaster II on my Scamp,mounted in the stock location (on it's side behind the carb) since 1994, No prob.

Is everybody happy?

Well, the real question is, are you happy?

It was your original question after all. :D

I'm not sure why they suggest mounting it upright as it would be fine horizontal. The only reason mine is upright is because I don't like them horizontal, never have, it bugs me for some reason.

Coils unless cracked can be in any position doesnt matter,sideways,upside down,upright,hanging off the side of engine or in the intake I've seen it all and they still work and get the job done..maybe not the political or prudent way but hey kinda like a lot lizard give em some juice and they will perform..lol....yea that was rude but wth...but they look better upright...

Why wouldn't I be happy? Is everybody happy is a line from a 50s TV program, I think it was the Jackie Gleason hour. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a Pix, I hope it does not "look" like an after thought

Attachments

• 2013-12-27 18.40.37.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 291
Is everybody happy is a line from a 50s TV program, I think it was the Jackie Gleason hour. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Today's trivia:

Well, I had to look. It appears that Clarinetist Ted Lewis coined that phrase, he passed in 1971 so it's possible he was on Gleason's show.

Gleason was more known for "How sweet it is".

I do remember The Jackie Gleason Show, I was just a wee lad though.

You are probably correct. When I remember it, I remember in Jackie Gleeson's voice.
My father always watched that show. We had one round black and white tv, and if Sol wanted to watch something, that is what was on this set.
We were rich, so we had a tv. Not rich enough to own 2 tvs.

I still hear Jackie Gleeson's voice saying that

From what I understand it basically comes down to keeping the wire covered inside the coil. If you lay the coil on it's side then some of the internal wire around the coil can become exposed to the air inside ( not covered in oil) and continually exposing the same area can cause heat build up in that area and premature failure.
OEM and aftermarket coil.... chalk and cheese.

-
Back