Color of Steel Wheels

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Were the steel wheels used with early A Bodies body color or black when dog dishes were used?

hay dartman hows it going.. I think they came ether way wasn't that part of the special paint package..Artie

When I was younger i didn't really care what color the wheels were;
I owned a 1964 and 1965 Valiant at the same time.

I had gone to the local scrap yard, and had several extra tires and rims. I painted the rims all Black, because they were different colors, coming from different cars.

I used to carry 2 spares in each car, and then had extra rims for future use.

I upgraded my current Valiant to 14 inch 5.5" wide rims, and they are painted black, 205/70R14 tires. I am using 1970 Cuda 14 inch wheel covers.

IMAGE1Medium.JPG

Thanks for all the help. I'm torn between using 15 inch Mirada 10 spoke aluminum wheels or 15 inch steel wheels with Dodge dog dishes on my 65 Dart wagon. Since the wagon is white, was thinking it might be too much white with white wheels as well.

That is a mighty clean wagon! I am not a big fan of white, I found some stock valiant wheels that are light metalic blue, same as my interior. But I have been wondering if I want to do them in black or body color once I paint the wagon. I do like the white rim whitewall combo though.

i know on my 64 dart 170 they're body color, which is white, but i think on full hubcaps they were black i know the backsides of mine are black, probably got sprayed when they were sent to that specific car.

When I got my car it had a couple white rims. The original rims were in the trunk because the tires were bald. What cars would these have gone to?

Don!

The wheels was painted body colorwhen you ordered you car with caps and black when equipped with full wheel cover. However the wheels was just painted on one side. The backside of the wheels should just be painted green/gray primer depending on supplier and assembly plant! Bodycolor or black wasjust painted from the front side so there should be some paint splots on the backside of the wheel around the holes.

I would be curious to see your car with those Mirada wheels. I always liked them.

As soon as I get off my (you add whatever here) and get the front and rear LBP conversion done, I'll post pictures with the Mirada wheels and then with the steel wheels (unfortunately they're painted black). The wagon is currently SBP 9 inch drums and sort of black, rusty 14 inch steel wheels.

65 DartMan,
Put the white wheels on one side and the Mirada wheels on the other!

And those Mirada wheels would look really good on my Top Bananna/Black car trailer !

my 71 dart came with black rims and red stripe dog dish caps
car is tawney gold.(green to me)

They are talking about the early A's,

I believe they were all black by the 70's, I had a 40000 mile 72 Dart with dog dish caps and the wheels were black on that car also.

4-1.jpg

-
Back