Commando pistons + '302' heads = ???

-
The "Comando pop up pistons" are positive deck height pistons?

In general, I'd say no. How far above the deck are they?

The "Comando pop up pistons" are positive deck height pistons?

Yes. The 10.5:1 ones.

In general, I'd say no. How far above the deck are they?

Not sure. Just considering whether to buy a set of pistons and use them with my "new" 302's. I was wondering if someone had already done this. Don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Well, it depends on how far above the deck the pistons are. If there .015 above, you can use a Fel-Pro .054 thick gasket and the 302's which would leave you with ,039, the same as a zero deck piston and Fel-Pro's .039 thick gasket.

That is a combo I have run before on a 360. zero deck pistons and the fel-pro .039 thick gasket and closed chamber Edelbrock RPM heads.

You could specail order cometic gaskets to the exact bore size and thickness you need. It'll cost ya a preety penny, but you'll be able to use those 302 heads and no get into a more expensive piston replacement issue.

The "How to hot rod small block Mopar" book says the 302's are the best head for the 273 and 318. I see no reason why they wouldn't work. The chambers are really close to the same size and shape and a bonus because of the hardened valve seats needed for today's fuel. The push rod pinch area really isn't an issue. The ports are a different shape and flow as good or better than the factory 273 heads. toolman

Dont try this without headers...there is a clearance issue with the early a body drivers side manifold that needs to be adressed if using stock early a manifolds...but it can be done!!!!

Years ago I put a set of 302's down on a 65 235 HP 273, the owner wanted modern intake and went to spitfire headers; not a problem. The stock 273 heads are closed chamber much lke the 302's. Just check everything like any build/rebuild, you'll be good to go.

The stock 273 heads are closed chamber much lke the 302's..

Exactly what I was going to say. Early LA heads were also closed chambered and I believe the 302 casting is allowed as a replacement in some stock classes.

Will the complete adjustable rocker assembly from the 273 heads work on the 302 heads ?

Will the complete adjustable rocker assembly from the 273 heads work on the 302 heads ?

I think everything should work, both heads use the shaft rockers. If you don't have a solid cam you will need to get different push rods from Comp or someone.

I think everything should work, both heads use the shaft rockers. If you don't have a solid cam you will need to get different push rods from Comp or someone.

Thanks for that. I will be going to the hydrolic cam/lifters. Previous owner had my standard 273 rebuilt in 1984 so I dont know if those heads might already have hardened seats and moly guides installed. I should be so lucky. LOL

Yes, a direct fit except;

The 273 used both Hyd. and Mech. cams.
Your 318 only used a Hyd. cam

You must check pushrod length just incase the different Hyd. cams are different enuff to cause a problem.

IF you 273 is a mech. cam you'll need new pushrods with a Hyd. cam engine.

This is the only caveat to be aware of. Pushrod issues. That's it. check check and double check the double check.

-
Back