Commando valve covers

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to restoring these covers I have had for years. Having a heat wave in the mid. atlantic & found out 100 degree weather is perfect for black wrinkle finish. Can't wait to get the originals(good shape)off & these on my Valiant( unbelievable original finned tops & pcv). Here are some pics.

Oldschoolcuda

:thumbrig:

fourwheelerpics018.jpg

Nice.=P~ You my friend are oldschool. Commando air cleaner would also go well with those indy's.

Oldschoolcuda

Those look great, always liked the look of the 273 commando covers and air cleaner. Got a set with a commando air cleaner housing for my 360, just got to get rid of blue engine color. Oldschoolcuda, post some pics once you get those babies on your engine!!!!

What paint did you use? I tried VHT awhile back and didn't seem to get it to wrinkle. Also FYI, those fins will come off. Take a heat gun to them and the epoxy will loosen up. Then when they are painted just re-epoxy.

What paint did you use? I tried VHT awhile back and didn't seem to get it to wrinkle. Also FYI, those fins will come off. Take a heat gun to them and the epoxy will loosen up. Then when they are painted just re-epoxy.

Dart, it's like he said the secret to it is heat. I used VHT. We let mine dry in the sun. I sure like the look of commando's.

IMG_0245 littler.jpg

These are the 3rd set I have re-done & used Eastwoods wrinkle finish on the first two with fair results and Krylon on this last set. Getting them sprayed and then exposed to the heat is definately the key. The 273 commando package was the best dressed engine of that era in my opinion & still looks great on any LA small block.

Oldschoolcuda

I like how you chromed the thermostat housing, nice. Ya the 273 was the nicest looking motor back then. The only other motor to get black crinkle paint was the 426 Hemi and they didn't get the aluminum fins.

I pryed the fins off with a screw driver, cleaned away the mess and put them back on with the 2 sided adhesive trim tape. No wrinkle finish paint under there but tape out was a simple rectangle.

Nice job man! Did you use a kit to paint those or what?

Here's my commando engine bay. (It's a 318, but who can tell?)

Resize of Img_8696.jpg

Oldschool, that engine bay looks sweet, nice!! You've got two nice early A's there. I bought my commando covers here on FABO from Barrycuda (good guy) for $100, they're as nice as the e-bay ones, I didn't think it was too bad a deal!! They will disguise my 360 nicely. I know Laysons has them listed in their catolog with a commando air cleaner as a "set", but not in production yet.

all the pics here wit hthe 273 hipo valve covers bring back great memorys,,,
nice looking guys,,

Whats a complete 273 Commando whith the 4 speed attached worth? totally original, v cover, carb, air cleaner, dist etc.
Like this one.

273 commando.jpg

depends on condition. all working when removed... 1000 to the right buyer.
Most only want the cosmetic pieces to use on other engines.

Whats a complete 273 Commando whith the 4 speed attached worth? totally original, v cover, carb, air cleaner, dist etc.
Like this one.

Not to go off subject, but did you sell the barracuda? I saw it on Craigslist for awhile. I thought about calling you about the car, but I was cash strapped and didn't want to waste your time.

<edit> nevermind, I see you still have it listed on craigslist.

sory to hi jack this tread,,,can some one tell me if those hipo valve covers have a baffle in them,,a pic of the inside would be great,,,,thanks in advance,,

-
Back