Comp cams xe268h for 318

-
IDK, it seems like A good start here. Missing the compression ratio and actual head work & specs....

Yes, the split duration cam has an edge on a stock head. The porting work would have to show a good balance between intake and exhaust ports to consider a single pattern cam. Generally a slightly off balance in the exhaust flavor would allow a single pattern cam into the picture. Otherwise, most times, not every time, a dual pattern shows it self better.
Well the true compression ratio right now is unknown for I have not pulled off the heads and cced them and checked the piston deck height. But its a completely stock 1986 truck engine so cr is probably around 7.5-8.5. Just from what iv read that seems to be the general consensus with these engines. The head ported is gonna be minimal its gonna be a home port job I just plan on gasket matching the runners and opening up the exhaust side and opening up the bowls. Basically doing the 318willruns special. Lol

So from what I'm seeing. Y'all prefer the xtreme engine over the high energy?
So do y'all think I should start a new thread on my build and just start over or just do it here?
I think you should do whatever the heck you want to do.
I'll throw my two cents in the Hat. I played with a used 318 last summer and always working on a budget. I might the cam and it already had about a 450 lift or so and had I had to buy a cam and lifters I would have definitely but one of summits cheap Cam and lifters and tried it out. I was just going to kind of match as close as I could get to what I needed or wanted.

Ok so let's start with the basics. The long block and rotating assembly is a stock 318 the heads as mentioned above is 302 stock valves home port. I have a stock 340 spreadbore intake (1971) and full length headers. Stock ignition and distributor. I have a 904 tf and stock stall with 2.76 gears. The primary use is a cruiser but I would like it to be able to run to. I dont want another sick 318 i have had plenty of those haha.

I think you should do whatever the heck you want to do.
I'll throw my two cents in the Hat. I played with a used 318 last summer and always working on a budget. I might the cam and it already had about a 450 lift or so and had I had to buy a cam and lifters I would have definitely but one of summits cheap Cam and lifters and tried it out. I was just going to kind of match as close as I could get to what I needed or wanted.
thanks bud we will just keep it here for now. I will get this thing sorted out one way or another lol I have one of the summit cams it's the sum6900. And I learned here it has a huge ramp which lowers the already low compression so I decided not to use it. So it's back to the drawing board same with my carb.

thanks bud we will just keep it here for now. I will get this thing sorted out one way or another lol I have one of the summit cams it's the sum6900. And I learned here it has a huge ramp which lowers the already low compression so I decided not to use it. So it's back to the drawing board same with my carb.
and don't hesitate to do a little experimenting on your own and not listening to everything everybody says. You know I probably made a bit of a mistake with my first cam in my Stroker motor now that I have my second cam in I can very much see the two characteristics. Expensive learning experience? Not really. Worth it? definitely.
put that little bit of a oversized cam in there and see what happens for a while you may like it that way? It won't be a burn off King but it'll definitely get on up there once it gets rolling. Then you can change the cam and 6 months or a year and really know the differences first hand with the same motor. then you go to build the big motor one day and you have some cam experience first hand.

and don't hesitate to do a little experimenting on your own and not listening to everything everybody says. You know I probably made a bit of a mistake with my first cam in my Stroker motor now that I have my second cam in I can very much see the two characteristics. Expensive learning experience? Not really. Worth it? definitely.
put that little bit of a oversized cam in there and see what happens for a while you may like it that way? It won't be a burn off King but it'll definitely get on up there once it gets rolling. Then you can change the cam and 6 months or a year and really know the differences first hand with the same motor. then you go to build the big motor one day and you have some cam experience first hand.
Thanks that is very helpful and encouraging. I'm so dead set on getting this thing right the first time I never thought about it like that. I have very limited funds and time but I love to tincker

Thanks that is very helpful and encouraging. I'm so dead set on getting this thing right the first time I never thought about it like that. I have very limited funds and time but I love to tincker
My limited funds usually made me put in what I had. That way I learned what I had from where I was at.
KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!

My limited funds usually made me put in what I had. That way I learned what I had from where I was at.
KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!
My biggest problem is my budget. If not for that I'd drop my 360 off at the machine shop and have it completely gone thru and bored and decked have my 360 heads milled ported opened up to 202 valves run 10:1 compression with a brand new carb and about 2800 stall but I cant afford it. So I'm stuck with this 318 I wish I could at least put new pistons in this 318 but cant afford that either lol

My biggest problem is my budget. If not for that I'd drop my 360 off at the machine shop and have it completely gone thru and bored and decked have my 360 heads milled ported opened up to 202 valves run 10:1 compression with a brand new carb and about 2800 stall but I cant afford it. So I'm stuck with this 318 I wish I could at least put new pistons in this 318 but cant afford that either lol

Ok so here are the other cams I'm looking at there are just so many and they seem similar I'm having a hard time deciding. Since I first started my search I have learned so much from you guys. I now know about the dcr and scr and didnt understand the lsa thanks for that! Ok so for a street engine in the comp cams would you high energy or extreme energy? I'm also looking at the luniti voodoos. Ok on the the good part here is a few that I'm looking at which one would you pick for this setup feel free to recommend your own but only within the same price range please dont recommend a 300 hundred + cam my price limit is around 150 but Hopefully less Haha. And also I have hydraulic flat lifters and stock rockers.

View attachment 1715227109

View attachment 1715227110

View attachment 1715227111

View attachment 1715227112

View attachment 1715227113

When I swapped out my cam in my 318, I had 2.76 gears. I went with the Lunati 10200701 cam and the stock 675 heads, unported and stock single pipe exhaust. A performer intake and 600 cfm carb.

After about two years that simple set of upgrades utterly destroyed the 7.25 pegleg.

Consider upgrading to at least an 8.25, or check out the threads on converting a Ford Exploder 8.8, preferably with some steeper gears, probably in the 3.23-3.55 range because it will be a lot more fun to drive. There is also craigslist to find 8.75 rear ends. I know that this was sort of a tangent, but just remember that you will break a 7.25 with the 2.76 gearing if you put too much torque to it.

Edit;
With my new rear end and 4.10 gearing, that lunati cam I have in there now just isnt enough, but that is fine because the long term plan calls for 4.10 gears. Just have to save my pennies to afford my build plan.

Last edited:
Well the true compression ratio right now is unknown for I have not pulled off the heads and cced them and checked the piston deck height. But its a completely stock 1986 truck engine so cr is probably around 7.5-8.5. Just from what iv read that seems to be the general consensus with these engines. The head ported is gonna be minimal its gonna be a home port job I just plan on gasket matching the runners and opening up the exhaust side and opening up the bowls. Basically doing the 318willruns special. Lol
the 85 up 318s with 302 heads sposed to be 9:1 ratio from factory, lest the ones ive seen with factory roller cams have been...

the 85 up 318s with 302 heads sposed to be 9:1 ratio from factory, lest the ones ive seen with factory roller cams have been...
Mine is a truck 318 so no rollers. I'm not sure if they where lower compression or not idk why they would have been seems to me like the truck engines would have more power for pulling and hauling and such.

I'm kinda thinking about taking jpars advice just building the thing with what I have and if it dont run the way I want just going from there and summing it up as a learning experience. This is the cam I have now.

Screenshot_20180922-224138_Samsung Internet.jpg

When I swapped out my cam in my 318, I had 2.76 gears. I went with the Lunati 10200701 cam and the stock 675 heads, unported and stock single pipe exhaust. A performer intake and 600 cfm carb.

After about two years that simple set of upgrades utterly destroyed the 7.25 pegleg.

Consider upgrading to at least an 8.25, or check out the threads on converting a Ford Exploder 8.8, preferably with some steeper gears, probably in the 3.23-3.55 range because it will be a lot more fun to drive. There is also craigslist to find 8.75 rear ends. I know that this was sort of a tangent, but just remember that you will break a 7.25 with the 2.76 gearing if you put too much torque to it.

Edit;
With my new rear end and 4.10 gearing, that lunati cam I have in there now just isnt enough, but that is fine because the long term plan calls for 4.10 gears. Just have to save my pennies to afford my build plan.
I have a 8.8 already just gotta buy another axle and do the narrowing but I'm putting that off for now because I dont have the funds to do the conversion shorten the driveshaft put the engine together all right now. I can put the engine together and drive the with the 71/4 while I save up for the 8.8 project. But yes I totally plan on destroying the 71/4 lol Hopefully not tho.

Save your money and get a cam/lifters that will work, not some cheap$ crap you found on the interweb.
Good luck

I would not use any hyd comp cam smaller than the XE275HL all the shorter ones have low lift for the duration , or too much duration for the lift/ area under the curve
unfortunately comp makes NO cams suitable for what you need unless you go solid lifter and then maybe
start with Lunati Voodoo or a Howard with a footnote 15
or
since it looks like you are really lost get a hold of RAcer Brown Cams and do whaterver they tell you
forget all the bulk manufactured one size fits all cams- they are well made and cheap but you do not get the performance you are paying for (like the summit brand cheepies)
that 204-214 grind has to be 50 years old
and you do NOT need 10 degrees extra exhaust with a late head with the better exhaust port
sheeeez

If it hasn't been said, it should have been.
You're doing it backwards in the most cost in-efficient way !
Put gears in first, they'll put a grin on your face, and you may be so happy with the increased performance, you may not wish to change the cam.
If you do the cam first, you won't get the grin, nor the kick in the *** feel the gears will, and you'll likely be dissappointed .
PS.. 3:23 - 3:55 would be my choice, depending on hi-way use.

Last edited:
If it hasn't been said, it should have been.
You're doing it backwards in the most cost in-efficient way !
Put gears in first, they'll put a grin on your face, and you may be so happy with the increased performance, you may not wish to change the cam.
If you do the cam first, you won't get the grin, nor the kick in the *** feel the gears will, and you'll likely be dissappointed .
PS.. 3:23 - 3:55 would be my choice, depending on hi-way use.
Agreed! See post #13.

Unfortunately, not the case. Take 64 cc chambers and work it out. With the standard Felpro 8553PT head gaskets, your just tickling 8:1 SCR with pistons .075" in the hole at TDC. We all wish it was better.

I'm kinda thinking about taking jpars advice just building the thing with what I have and if it dont run the way I want just going from there and summing it up as a learning experience. This is the cam I have now.

View attachment 1715227350
Well you can do that for sure.

Seriously not trying to be mean or anything, but I would never put that cam in for the street unless my SCR was up near in the 9-9.5:1 range minimum. For goodness sake.... look at the .050" duration versus advertised....74 degrees difference...LOL !

Put that in and you're gonna be sorry and back hare telling us what a slug the engine is at low RPM's. Same or worse as putting open chamber 360 heads on the stock 318 short block.... dynamic CR is going to drop into the toilet. And with a 2.76 rear and stock TC???? My goodness....you have 3 major items all stacked against ANY low RPM torque: cam, rear gear, and compression ratio.

Any advice to 'just do it and see how it turns out' is just nonsense, and there is no hope whatsoever that you will have any different result that what is well known. This particular situation is ALL predictable, has been done before, and the poor end result is clear as crystal.

O
Well you can do that for sure.

Seriously not trying to be mean or anything, but I would never put that cam in for the street unless my SCR was up near in the 9-9.5:1 range minimum. For goodness sake.... look at the .050" duration versus advertised....74 degrees difference...LOL !

Put that in and you're gonna be sorry and back hare telling us what a slug the engine is at low RPM's. Same or worse as putting open chamber 360 heads on the stock 318 short block.... dynamic CR is going to drop into the toilet. And with a 2.76 rear and stock TC???? My goodness....you have 3 major items all stacked against ANY low RPM torque: cam, rear gear, and compression ratio.

Any advice to 'just do it and see how it turns out' is just nonsense, and there is no hope whatsoever that you will have any different result that what is well known. This particular situation is ALL predictable, has been done before, and the poor end result is clear as crystal.
Ok thanks buddy I know you and me have discussed this several times lol you where the one to convince me to look for a new cam in the first place. Right now the money is a problem. Damn money. Lol I'm just at s point where I'm running out of funds and stuff to sale to fund this project

-
Back