Comp vs Lunati

-

ir3333

Reaction score
anyone have any experience with these flat tappet cams in a mild 9:1 360?
how might they perform / differ?

comp 268AH-10 "Magnum Muscle"
.464 / .464 222 / 226 110 lsa 1800 - 5800 rpm

and

Lunati Voodoo 10200702
.475 / .494 220 / 226 112 lsa 1400 - 5700 rpm

Id go with that Lunati just by specs alone. more down low beats little gain on top. What else can you go by.

Never ran that Lunati grind but ran the .494/.513 in my 416 when i first built it with excellent results.also ran the .513/.533 and .533/.552 in a 360 both excellent cams also..friend was having problems with Comp cams went through 3 of them before getting one that wouldn't wipe out a lobe(and yes he does know what he's doing)..another builder i know doesn't use Comp cams anymore either..

tx for the heads up.I do have a friend using the .464 .464 comp in a 408.
It pulls hard,has an idle with some attitude and gets good mileage too.The ..702
Voodoo looks good but i don't know anybody using it...hoping someone will chime in.

I wiped a lobe on a comp cam too. Used the best assembly lube money could buy and used proper break in procedure.

Had a good experience with a Crane cam once upon a time.

FWIW, I add a few hundred RPM or so to the bottom end RPM numbers for every common cam brand except for Crane.

The Comp looks to be an older style lobe without aggressive ramps, so would be easier on break-in and easier on the valvetrain in general, and you could probably get by with a softer valve springs since the valvetrain accelerations are lower. I would expect it to be a bit softer on the bottom end torque; I suspect your friend with that cam is benefitting from the extra cubes in his 408.

The Lunati should be a just a hair torquier at low RPM's based mostly on the LSA, and also on slightly smaller .050" duration, and slightly shorter advertised duration (265* for the Lunati vs. 268* for the Comp Magnum). It has more aggressive ramps and makes up for a bit smaller duration and wider LSA with higher lift for overall breathing, so the top end RPM ought to be close. The faster ramps makes the valvetrain more critical, and should call for more care in break-in.

tx 318wr ...looks to be a nice grind as well similar to the '68 340 "stick" cam?
shooting for something easy on the valve train but good performance.
..my engine is actually a 372 based on a 340 block.

tx 318wr ...looks to be a nice grind as well similar to the '68 340 "stick" cam?
shooting for something easy on the valve train but good performance.
..my engine is actually a 372 based on a 340 block.
the cam I listed was to compare against the two you listed. However, it may not be the best for your combo. If you have anything for gears and an aftermarket stall, I'd step it up a little. The cam I listed I have used, and it idles pretty smooth. I was impressed with how it performed in the combo I had (360/3.23 gears). You may want to consider something like the MP .474/280 cam. I've used that cam a few times also, and really liked it.

..i will be running 3.23 gears and would like to try 2.94.I don't really want a rough idle and i will never race my car.The reason i said mild 360 is because 372 is similar to an .060 over 360 and that is probably what most guys are familiar with.
I have used the .474 in another 340 dart with 3.23 and stock converter..it was lazy until it got going.

Ir3333, what is the goal? And the drive train? Auto/gears/tires, etc? A 372 is a lotta cubes.

Edit, ops, seconds late...

Now armed with new info...

IMO, ether cam will work really well and you'll never notice the 2* difference in cams though I would opt. for the Lunati myself. The cam on a 112 will have a mild but smooth idle once warmed up. My old Crane was similar.
Stock heads?
Headers?

What cylinder head do you have on the motor, and will you have enough piston to valve clearance.

372, x heads,.020 over 116p, 9:1, 3.23, Ld340, 650 Thunder,stock exhaust manifolds.The current converter is custom built for the stock 340 in my Dart and stalls about 2400
Looking for a good all round build that pulls hard with reasonably smooth idle and decent mileage.
...will probably never see 6000 rpm or ever be raced.

Last edited:
the only other variable is the x heads and my builder will just be doing minor work to them and will cc and gasket them to about 9:1 compression.I don't want any detonation issues.

The X head as cast is good for the current cam and performance level your looking at IMO.

Just clean it up, resurface the head and a good valve job. Equippe the head with the proper springs and your a go.

The X head as cast is good for the current cam and performance level your looking at IMO.

Just clean it up, resurface the head and a good valve job. Equippe the head with the proper springs and your a go.

tx Rumble..that .464 / .464 in my friends 408 does have an idle with attitude which surprised me.
It pulls hard in his Dodge short box truck 4 x 4 w/3.91 gears and it is heavy!

The single biggest reason I don't use a lot of Lunati is they want to use a true dual spring for most lof them, even the smaller ones. That means cutting the spring seats and guides down, and breaking in the cam on outers, and having to pull it apart to install the inners. None of that is huge, but it all adds cost and time (which if you're paying for it adds cost). I've yet to lose a cam. Comp or anyone else's. The vast majority of cam failures are caused by the installer - not the cam itself.
In terms of the two you list, I'd expect the Lunati to have a little more vacuum but very similar power curves in your 360.

No problem.

For those new guys reading...
In general, a cam on a ...

110 will have that "Muscle car" chop in the idle.
A 108 will sound racey
A 106 and less will sound radical
Going the other way....
A 112 will have a mild chop and sound smooth-ish
A 114 will sound almost dead stock

Most F.I. Will want a cam on a 112, carb couldn't care less but sometimes, (LOL) the driver does.

Think you've said that before... and, as usual, the disagree's pile up
He loves to beat a dead horse if not just for the effect it produces. IMO, he takes joy in racking up "dislikes."

He will soon make an appearance in the 318 build threads with disrespecting remarks and insults so he can enjoy the "dislikes" made to his remark.

He loves to beat a dead horse if not just for the effect it produces. IMO, he takes joy in racking up "dislikes."

He will soon make an appearance in the 318 build threads with disrespecting remarks and insults so he can enjoy the "dislikes" made to his remark.

Wait a minute .....this guy is trying to take over my spot as King of the dislikes?

How dare he?

He only does well when he trashes MP cams and 318's.

Your safe

-
Back