Confused what to do with a 5.9L serpentine setup

-
@black954 Any more updates on the magnum accessories? I also have a 5.9 right now at IMM and am using the aluminum LA heads they offer. Was planning on also using the magnum accessories so I'm watching this thread like a hawk! TIA

@Orionsax7 Brian and Fred built my engine too. Been running great! I have the Magnum EQ heads though. I'm bummed out that EQ no longer makes those heads, but aluminum has greater power potential anyway for your build.

Last edited:
@black954 Any more updates on the magnum accessories? I also have a 5.9 right now at IMM and am using the aluminum LA heads they offer. Was planning on also using the magnum accessories so I'm watching this thread like a hawk! TIA
I'm still trying to track down a Magnum non/AC alternator bracket. Then I'm going to pull my engine and align the Magnum accessory brackets off the one hole one the bottom of each head and use transfer punches to mark the other holes needed. Then i'm going to drill and tap the heads for the magnum holes. I'm pretty sure this is the most straightforward way to do it on a somewhat budget. I'd ask IMM if they are able to drill and tap the Magnum holes on those heads before the engine is assembled, that's the best way to do it.

I'm still trying to track down a Magnum non/AC alternator bracket. Then I'm going to pull my engine and align the Magnum accessory brackets off the one hole one the bottom of each head and use transfer punches to mark the other holes needed. Then i'm going to drill and tap the heads for the magnum holes. I'm pretty sure this is the most straightforward way to do it on a somewhat budget. I'd ask IMM if they are able to drill and tap the Magnum holes on those heads before the engine is assembled, that's the best way to do it.

I did message Brian about this last night. He will be calling me Monday to discuss. I do have the alternator bracket and tensioner I can drop off with him to see what he thinks. The absolute worst case scenario would be to revert back to LA cover/pump. I was hoping to stay with the magnum stuff but that would be okay if I had to. We will see what he thinks Monday.

I'm dealing with the same issues. I have the same valve covers and I'm about to try and finish up my accessories. I cut the bracket factory AC / alt bracket up a bit today to clear the water neck, and realized I was going to have an alternator problem. I had purchased the larger alternator, are you using the smaller amperage one?

I'm dealing with the same issues. I have the same valve covers and I'm about to try and finish up my accessories. I cut the bracket factory AC / alt bracket up a bit today to clear the water neck, and realized I was going to have an alternator problem. I had purchased the larger alternator, are you using the smaller amperage one?
I'm not sure if mine is the 117A or 136A but I believe the cases are the same. I tried to go the same alternator mount as you but the van PS pump mount caused the belt to rub the water pump pulley because the idler pulley locations on the A/C and non-A/C alternator mounts are in different locations.

Now it is time to do some "creative" engineering. A smaller pulley maybe?

Now it is time to do some "creative" engineering. A smaller pulley maybe?
A smaller idler will probably work. I was lucky and got a non-A/C alternator bracket with the relocated idler position to clear. Regardless, it's a pain in the butt to put this all together lol.

If I find more non-AC Magnum Alternator brackets, I'll let this group know. I'm always on the lookout for them.

My 98 Dakota 4x4 with a 5.2 had a steering box and not a rack not sure if the pump changed from a 4x4 to a 2wd

March had an underdrive pulley set for Magnums, that I bought many years ago. maybe they still have them available.

I'm not sure if mine is the 117A or 136A but I believe the cases are the same. I tried to go the same alternator mount as you but the van PS pump mount caused the belt to rub the water pump pulley because the idler pulley locations on the A/C and non-A/C alternator mounts are in different locations.

Ok, here is some more interesting info.... rockauto pictures and data to the rescue! There are at least two case sizes, and 125 vs 137mm, and they have some units on the later model years that have a side post for the power that should in theory fix the valve cover issue!

210-1144_ANG__ra_p.jpg

If I find more non-AC Magnum Alternator brackets, I'll let this group know. I'm always on the lookout for them.

Thanks, that's very thoughtful. I wont be running A/C or a P/S pump, so have to figure out how to route it all. I did an electric P/S pump, which worked out ok to clean up the engine bay.

This maybe useful for someone someday. My damper required a custom offset crank pulley, it was going to be like ~$300+ to have one made. I found you can buy a vortex supercharger pulley (10 rib) it has a mopar flange on it and you can make a spacer to line it up (if needed, with 10 ribs you have some wiggle room). Well that is my plan at least in theory, I'll post a picture when I get the belt setup sorted, I don't have it yet. I bought the 6" version which is about a 12% under drive, they have larger also.

Ok, here is some more interesting info.... rockauto pictures and data to the rescue! There are at least two case sizes, and 125 vs 137mm, and they have some units on the later model years that have a side post for the power that should in theory fix the valve cover issue!

View attachment 1715708398
Oh hell yeah, I’m going to track down one of those alternators for sure so I don’t have to dent the valve cover

I do not understand the issue with the terminal being too close to the valve cover. This photo shows a completely stock set up from my 99 5.9 R/T, which is now on my 75 Swinger. The bracket has a boss that spaces it out 1" from the head. As you can see the terminal clears the valve cover with extra space. Maybe someone cut off the boss. Also, I have the underdrive water pump pulley from March, which is 6 1/2" diameter. The stock water pump pulley is 5". Of course it all has to line up for the belt. So, this is just FYI.
20210316_091305.jpg

I do not understand the issue with the terminal being too close to the valve cover. This photo shows a completely stock set up from my 99 5.9 R/T, which is now on my 75 Swinger. The bracket has a boss that spaces it out 1" from the head. As you can see the terminal clears the valve cover with extra space. Maybe someone cut off the boss. Also, I have the underdrive water pump pulley from March, which is 6 1/2" diameter. The stock water pump pulley is 5". Of course it all has to line up for the belt. So, this is just FYI.View attachment 1715708515
If you go back and look at the pics I posted, the stud on the alternator is SUPER close to hitting the fabricated aluminum valve cover. I have shaft mounted roller rockers that require tall valve covers so the alternator with the side mount battery lug will be a great solution.

Old rule of thumb: If you modify (custom valve covers included) anything during a build, you will have to modify 5 more things to make that one work. Looks like that still holds true.
I used the Mopar Performance valve covers and I guess that is why it has the notch in the corner.
Stay after it, it will come together.
There use to be a magazine called "Fun with mechanics". I have often questioned that while during Builds:)

I do not understand the issue with the terminal being too close to the valve cover. This photo shows a completely stock set up from my 99 5.9 R/T, which is now on my 75 Swinger. The bracket has a boss that spaces it out 1" from the head. As you can see the terminal clears the valve cover with extra space. Maybe someone cut off the boss. Also, I have the underdrive water pump pulley from March, which is 6 1/2" diameter. The stock water pump pulley is 5". Of course it all has to line up for the belt. So, this is just FYI.

Thanks for the info. Here is what my setup currently looks like with the larger valve covers (Mr Gasket). Alternator top bolt is in, but lower alternator mount is up about 3/4 from where it needs to be to get a bolt into it.

upload_2021-3-16_20-44-53.png

I would consider having a shop modify the corner of the valve cover for the clearance you need. As you can see on the Mopar performance piece, that is what they did for production of that valve cover.

So i've been working more on my Dart lately and i've hit a big snag. I planned to make my own serpentine brackets and reuse the Dakota RT alternator, water pump, and power steering pump. Unfortunately, I cut up the original brackets to mount everything and now i'm left trying to figure out the best, most economical accessory drive. I can't reuse the Dakota RT PS pump because it is a low pressure pump for rack and pinion. So now i'm looking at piecing together a system. I have the original 340 front cover so I guess I could go that route and run LA accessories, but with the RPM i'm turning I will not run a V-belt system. I was hoping to reuse the magnum balancer I have and if possible the magnum alternator. PLEASE HELP!

If the power steering pump is the only thing holding you back, just find a pump and bracket from a 1996-2002 B1500 van.

As a follow up: No, the Bosch style 137 amp alt with a plastic rear cover has about 1/2" of depth interference with the large valve covers. The metal rear cap was much closer to clearing but the post was very much in the way, so a metal rear cap with a side post may work.

As a final follow up, iIt looks like the 2002 136 Amp alternator with a top post and a metal back does work! No valve cover modifications needed. It looks like from the images others have shared, they are using the 75/90 amp unit with a slight dimple on the top of the valve cover.

upload_2021-3-29_21-5-18.png

As a final follow up, iIt looks like the 2002 136 Amp alternator with a top post and a metal back does work! No valve cover modifications needed. It looks like from the images others have shared, they are using the 75/90 amp unit with a slight dimple on the top of the valve cover.

View attachment 1715715939
What vehicle does that alternator come on? All the 02 stuff i looked up showed the rear post.

What vehicle does that alternator come on? All the 02 stuff i looked up showed the rear post.

Here are two links that may work for you: Amazon and Rock auto. The RAM 1500 used to have one with the metal back in RA but now just has the plastic back, but it does show up in the the RAM 2500. And it also seems to be more common in the Diesel models.

Just cut off the A,/C part of the Bracket. Thats what I did.

Screenshot_20210417-123509_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-123703_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-123711_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-123720_Photos.jpg

-
Back