Considering relocating to Texas

-
I don't believe the @MopaR&D's original post was politically motivated, but some of the responses were unfortunately. I'd be more than happy to continue any conversation with him about moving to Texas, without any gut wrenching politics.

Fixed my inbox, should be good. Thanks for the kind replies guys, I know it can be a risk bringing up non-technical discussions like this but I figured asking what it's like living in a certain place is an innocent question. I've been on FABO for almost 15 years and I appreciate the honesty of the members here which is why I bothered. I know all of you mean well, not trying to call anyone out or be an angry dick I just wanted to hopefully bring things back to reality and keep the talks civil and reasonable.

I apologize if my comments went political or were considered as such. Facts are facts when it comes to crime, murder, etc.

You asked about diversity and I responded of facts but those have nothing to do with politics, even if someone wants to make it sound that way.

You stated you have lived in Dallas and was it Wichita Falls?, so you have some idea of city issues and problems.

I hope there was some conversation that was helpful to you.

Fact is, politics affect everyone's life every day. It hard to discuss without reference to what someone construes as political.

Just for reference, I just people on their words and actions, not race or religion.

Hello MoparR&D. As I'm a Texan (since 1980) and a realtor (please don't use that against me), my brother sent me your post about 'ya'all' investigating moving to Texas. Above my 'profession' is my belief in my Lord Jesus Christ. And my desire is to provide realtor excellence and joy to my clients.

As you state, Texas is huge - ~ 800 miles N and S, and E to W. Most of it can be darn hot in the summer. But generally it offers a cost of living - including housing - which is middle of the pack for major cities; the #1 or #2 growing economy and job growth of states in the USA; mostly warm, friendly people and law and order almost universally rule to in Texas (the Mexico border being a big exception but most of that is due to federal issues). I love it here. (My home town was Cleveland, Ohio. Population 1950 = 920,000; currently ~ 320,000. Taxes, regulation are 2 major reasons folks have left. And the cold, snowy winters. Sound familiar, LOL?)

Issues: the pretty much open border with Mexico, hot summers, folks that love to work on vehicles mostly don't like our HOA's (home owners associations that restrict what folks can do outside their homes 4-walls within their subdivisions - call me for more info here).and property taxes are over 2% annually in the N E Texas area (though we have no state income tax).

The team I'm apart of has helped a lot folks move from many parts of the country to N Texas. And we'd love to talk with you. Let me offer to let you all join (remotely or in person) one of our home buying seminars where expert realtors and mortage professionals / loan officers do short presentations then take questions. Our next seminar is THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2022 AT 6 PM – 8 PM CST (we can also do 1 at any time for you and your family).

I'm OK if this thread gets locked because I don't really want any replies. I just saw my thread about moving to Texas was locked. Really, what the hell guys? Is it so difficult to not make EVERYTHING a stupid argument about politics? I'm extremely disappointed in some of you, I came here looking for honest advice and it just turned into a shitstorm. Along with some over-the-top assumptions about myself based on what I mentioned *briefly* about my religious beliefs which was only put up in the context of finding others with the same faith. Nothing more, nothing less.

If any of you living in Texas want to continue the discussion feel free to send me a PM, I guess we can't have a civil conversation about this in the open since a lot of you still think and act like you're children. Seriously, grow up and learn some manners related to when and where it's OK to run your mouth about politics. This crap is beyond old, the dead horse has been beaten into a pile of ground meat at this point.
Very well stated!!!!!!!

I apologize if my comments went political or were considered as such. Facts are facts when it comes to crime, murder, etc.

You asked about diversity and I responded of facts but those have nothing to do with politics, even if someone wants to make it sound that way.

You stated you have lived in Dallas and was it Wichita Falls?, so you have some idea of city issues and problems.

I hope there was some conversation that was helpful to you.

Fact is, politics affect everyone's life every day. It hard to discuss without reference to what someone construes as political.

Just for reference, I just people on their words and actions, not race or religion.

You're fine, I don't have any lingering hard feelings against any of you guys I understand everyone's frustrations with the way our country is going these days, I'm with you there. I just felt I needed to "be real" for a minute and get us all on the same page as things were quickly getting off track in a bad way.

This goes for anyone who participated in this thread, trust me I get you lol it's all good. Let's just keep things cool and calm and save the politics for elsewhere.

Your the "someone" made it political the very instance you started in with this liberal BS nonsense
The facts are not facts when they are manipulated to fit a agenda
The facts are violent crime is becoming rampant throughout the United States and it doesnt take a genius to look up violent crime stats state by state and city by city per capita
Its the percentage of crime per population by various things including employment, property values and a host of other items
Here is one of numerous links to crime in Texas
According To FBI Statistics, These Are The 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Texas

Seems Texas isn't as safe as some would like to make it out to be.
Find a job that pays well, has a future and good solid benefits, make sure there is a house of worship close and has a younger congregation, good schools are vital as is people of your faith and values

I've said most of my peace on this, except to add that if a person decides to relocate (much less an entire family) and doesn't consider politics in this day and age, that person is bordering on foolish. I see people almost every week having meltdowns because they live 'among a bunch of hicks'. When they're the one that chose to move here, not the other way 'round?

That's like buying tickets, making plans, and then going to a comedy show, and getting mad because someone told a joke that you found offensive. (saw that last Wednesday, in fact). People are far too resistant to look inward in this day and age and if you're going to go to the trouble to relocate, it only benefits you to do so, be honest with yourself, and do your research.

I say that more as a person that watched everything I loved about my home state get destroyed by people from another state, who brought nothing but their problems with them, than as a political consideration. Result, now they're bailing on the new state because it's become just like the old one. Who did that, I wonder?

I'm off the soapbox. I'm going back to shitposting now.

I rate places, be it cities or rural, by the majority consensus. I live in a rural area that i bet is 99% conservative. I judge crimeby the amount. Sure the ciites have more crime,butI will take thisrurla area that a murder islikely once ina 2 year period and not 8-10per nite.

My mom and dad retired to Kerrville, across the highway from Fredricksberg (sp?) About 40 min from San Antonio and 1 hour from Austin. Austin is more of a yuppie town with its own political slant. I enjoyed my visit to Texas IN OCTOBER...July sucked! Buddy moved to TN, loves it.

My part of the world. Kerrville is about 25 miles from Fredericksburg. Very, long time Republican area dating back to the Civil War. Plenty of Dems, but not enough to dominate. Large numbers of folks identify as Independents. Cooperation, compromise and coexistence are very common.

Most common crimes are probably minor in possession, DUI, or non-violent property crimes. Occasional sweeps collect hard drug dealers. Murders are extremely rare. INS makes random raids.

If there is a Muslim community, it is very small.

Ive been looking to leave Texas but my wife don't wanna leaver her grandchildren.I missed several deals in Tennessee and up by Memike.

Every time summer comes here I tell my wife I’m moving. I hate the heat. So I start looking around the country for places to relocate to and because of my profession (elevator mechanic) I pretty much have to be near a large city. So I start looking and then realize it’s pretty good down here, hot summers, mild winters, low crime rate, no state taxes. Buy a gun wherever, no emissions test, no state inspection on my Barracuda, fishing , hunting, fresh and salt water. Hot, Hot and Hotter. Diverse community where everyone gets along. Great food from around the world. High property taxes, high electric bill, water restrictions. Deserts,forests, wetlands, hills, valleys, hundred of state parks. I think I’ll just stay here in the United State of Texas.

Every time summer comes here I tell my wife I’m moving. I hate the heat. So I start looking around the country for places to relocate to and because of my profession (elevator mechanic) I pretty much have to be near a large city. So I start looking and then realize it’s pretty good down here, hot summers, mild winters, low crime rate, no state taxes. Buy a gun wherever, no emissions test, no state inspection on my Barracuda, fishing , hunting, fresh and salt water. Hot, Hot and Hotter. Diverse community where everyone gets along. Great food from around the world. High property taxes, high electric bill, water restrictions. Deserts,forests, wetlands, hills, valleys, hundred of state parks. I think I’ll just stay here in the United State of Texas.

Great post! That's exactly it, wherever you go it's always "something" that makes it not perfect. Gotta be willing to compromise and trade based on your priorities. I love the climate, landscape, outdoor activities and friendly open people Colorado has but it's not worth the insane housing costs, stupid emissions laws and testing, lack of diversity basically anywhere but Denver among other smaller issues that I've ignored in the past. I might look at moving back later on down the road but at this point in my life I feel my calling is elsewhere and I'm willing to make some compromises.

Great post! That's exactly it, wherever you go it's always "something" that makes it not perfect. Gotta be willing to compromise and trade based on your priorities. I love the climate, landscape, outdoor activities and friendly open people Colorado has but it's not worth the insane housing costs, stupid emissions laws and testing, lack of diversity basically anywhere but Denver among other smaller issues that I've ignored in the past. I might look at moving back later on down the road but at this point in my life I feel my calling is elsewhere and I'm willing to make some compromises.
Just to let you know Dallas, Ft Worth and Houston all have emission testing unless it’s 25 years old, plenty of diversity in all the big cities, and last I can’t imagine our current property values are any less than Co….good luck

There is no absolute perfect place to live..... but so many places are so much worse!!
Home is where your heart is.....IF it ain't where ya live, might choose another spot??

There is a old saying about the grass being greener on the other side. I have relatives that live in the Denver area, the housing costs are high but insane high, no. Anywhere one moves closer to a bigger city the housing costs will be higher.
If you cannot find diversity outside of the Denver area I can assure you that you will not find it any better in most other states.
If you think for one second some of the more welcoming posts you received are a indication of good intentions that may be true but reading deeper into this web forum will show you beyond the shadow of a doubt just how hate and spite driven people can be
I should not have to spell this out to you anymore, you should be smart enough to figure it out
My problem if it can be called that is simple.
I will never ever read idly by and ignore lousy low hating comments, I will not be subjected to ridicule not here or in person simply because I hold different opinions
I dont shove my business in anyones face and nobody will do the same to me
My reluctance to look the other way has cost me plenty and im ok with that
Just wanted to make that clear
The smaller issues you've ignored in the past can very well grow into major issues so its critical you find a community that welcomes you and accepts you as a person first and not your political views, faith or color of your skin.
We all want to live in peace and harmony. Our first priorities or at least mine was to be able to provide for my family with a good paying job, living somewhere that would provide decent schooling for my children and a relatively safe place to live
Id think things over carefully and discuss it with my elders, what id tell my own child if asked
My best wishes

I have moved to and lived in a few different states. One thing I do find pretty true, the "new" guy is always somewhat different, one way or another. People usually want the new guy to prove himself to them. Is he worthy of their time or consideration?
Missouri is called the "show me state" and that is darn true. I lived there 37 years. And true most everywhere. Will everyone approve of the new and different guy? No, That's just life. So what.

Regarding housing, I'm currently leasing a small (<1000 sq ft) 2-bedroom, 1-bathroom house built in the 1950s and located in Loveland which is not really a "top destination" for $1500/month. And that's the best I could do to find a decent place I could live without roommates. I just did a quick search on Zillow for homes around Fort Worth, TX and I'm seeing houses for rent for similar prices but generally a bit larger and newer with nicer amenities. The prices are pretty close but there are also FAR more listings to choose from. Around here you'd get a handful of search results and if you didn't jump on one within a day or 2 it would be gone. Another oddity about here is housing costs don't really change going away from the major cities and towns unless you get way out east in "West Kansas" where nobody really wants to live anyway lol. Main reason being all our cities and towns are surrounded by picturesque mountains and natural areas that people are willing to pay big bucks to live around.

Ideally I'd like to start with a small house in a suburb a bit outside the city with maybe a 30-minute commute to my job, which also depends on the location of whatever company I go to work for. Overall the prices may be similar but it seems places in Texas just have FAR more options available.

Last edited:
Even with a single income, I would think an engineer's salary should support a decent standard of living almost anywhere in the country. Have you looked for higher paying jobs that are available? Even government jobs may be a decent option for job security, benefits, etc.

Even with a single income, I would think an engineer's salary should support a decent standard of living almost anywhere in the country. Have you looked for higher paying jobs that are available? Even government jobs may be a decent option for job security, benefits, etc.

That is very true. I currently make significantly less than the industry median due to working at a small startup company; there was a promise of "oh you'll make lots of money when we start selling our product!" but I don't see that realistically happening for a couple more years and I can't keep living this way for that long. There are a few interesting positions I found with much better pay in northern CO but then there's still the issue, I just really don't want to live in Colorado any more for the other reasons I mentioned earlier.

That is very true. I currently make significantly less than the industry median due to working at a small startup company; there was a promise of "oh you'll make lots of money when we start selling our product!" but I don't see that realistically happening for a couple more years and I can't keep living this way for that long. There are a few interesting positions I found with much better pay in northern CO but then there's still the issue, I just really don't want to live in Colorado any more for the other reasons I mentioned earlier.

Sounds like the current job is a great catalyst for a big move to somewhere you'll ultimately be happier. Good for you for being able to recognize and accept that. A lot of people just get stuck in the monotony of day to day life without actually stepping out on limb and making the necessary change. I wish you luck, but I don't think you'll need it. I only ask that you keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Have you looked into Tennessee? I've had a handful of friends and colleagues relocate out there and they love it. Not sure about the diversity aspect out there though.

-
Back