Considering relocating to Texas

-
Then before we had the last mayor why was NYC having the lowest murder rate in the country?
Common sense governing and having the best police force in the country is one reason
No liberal politician comes into office and changes every law on the books
Biased politicians, ones who bend to certain groups come in all flavours, I shouldn't have to remind you that Texas has one of the most incompetent senators in the country
The OP seems to have his mind made up about moving, I wish him luck

I appreciate your concerns but we really don't need this here...

^^^The OP said he has lived in Dallas, I believe and liked it.
I agree with a strong, honest police and JUDGES that prosecute the crooks to the fullest, not just a revolving door.
I have seen N.Y. YOU can have it! Welder, Good day.

^^^The OP said he has lived in Dallas, I believe and liked it.
I agree with a strong, honest police and JUDGES that prosecute the crooks to the fullest, not just a revolving door.
I have seen N.Y. YOU can have it! Welder, Good day.
You haven't seen N.Y. of this I know.
I appreciate your concerns but we really don't need this here...
But lousy liberal comments you're ok with. Besides the fact that some car forum should be the last place you'd seek advise for anything besides Mopars, again best of luck

You don’t need boots or a cowboy hat. I’ve lived in all the regions in Texas. I have never owned a cowboy hat.except as a kid I had a Lone Ranger outfit. I don’t think you find the community you are looking for in West Texas. Yeh it’s hot. But thank goodness they have AC here. You may see snow once every few years for about an hour. Good luck. I also think the OP is like a lot of here. Not big on social media and share a great hobby and finds value in each other’s opinion on this forum.

You haven't seen N.Y. of this I know.

But lousy liberal comments you're ok with. Besides the fact that some car forum should be the last place you'd seek advise for anything besides Mopars, again best of luck

Just to be straight I find extremism in either 'direction' irritating. I lived for 5 years near Colorado Springs (home to the U.S. Air Force Academy and multiple military bases) in a very conservative area and I was no fan of that either. I made those statements because people tend to assume liberal=diverse and that's not necessarily the case.

And I'm getting the results I expected and hoped for asking something like this on a car forum. A pretty wide range of opinions and experiences, so I can get different perspectives on what it's like from real people.

Just to be straight I find extremism in either 'direction' irritating. I lived for 5 years near Colorado Springs (home to the U.S. Air Force Academy and multiple military bases) in a very conservative area and I was no fan of that either. I made those statements because people tend to assume liberal=diverse and that's not necessarily the case.

And I'm getting the results I expected and hoped for asking something like this on a car forum. A pretty wide range of opinions and experiences, so I can get different perspectives on what it's like from real people.
You'd be better served by reaching out to people just like yourself who live in areas you are interested in and seeking opinions and experiences from them

Looks like you relocated to Georgia. How's it working out for ya so far??? How bout a little update?

Augusta huh? I spent 10 months at Fort Gordon and 3 hours in the Grovetown jail. It was a BS charge that got thrown out. So...I won't be going there to live, lol.

Seriously, I hope you're liking it. I love it in Rome, Georgia. Definitely love the Governor and the way the state is run.

Amarillo has a Bell Helicopter where the Ospreys are made and Pantex, where nuclear weapons are worked on. Been here 20 years and have no plans to leave.

Amarillo has a Bell Helicopter where the Ospreys are made and Pantex, where nuclear weapons are worked on. Been here 20 years and have no plans to leave.
I wanted to work at Pantex really bad, but after freezing my @ss off in Wy. for 4 years all I wanted was to come home to our nice hot environment. Getting hypothermia didn't help either!!!

I wanted to work at Pantex really bad, but after freezing my @ss off in Wy. for 4 years all I wanted was to come home to our nice hot environment. Getting hypothermia didn't help either!!!
Although Amarillo can get Wyoming cold occasionally, it doesn't stay Wyoming cold all winter long.

Although Amarillo can get Wyoming cold occasionally, it doesn't stay Wyoming cold all winter long.
After getting hypothermia I have a very low tolerance to anything below 75 degrees. I'm uncomfortable hear in S. Texas during our super mild winters. My fingernails turn blue at 60 degrees from lack of blood flow. If there was a Pantex facility here I would have gladly worked there.

And I'm getting the results I expected and hoped for asking something like this on a car forum. A pretty wide range of opinions and experiences?
So how is Georgia treatin you?

I meant to update everyone but got busy with the move to Georgia and new job. I'm finally settled down for the most part and got a house just south of Augusta in the little town of Hephzibah. Overall I'm very happy with the change. There isn't really much I miss from CO aside from my friends and some mountains-related stuff like skiing and scenery. Cost of living here is much lower. Government isn't going crazy with regulations and taxes on everything like CO is. Crime is lower, don't feel the need to lock up all my stuff all the time and there are far less homeless people here. Food is much better, it's tougher to find healthy options when going out but the quality and flavor is just so much better and obviously the price is much lower.

The change in culture is welcome. Outside of the downtown and fancier suburban areas people are more "normal" and just go about their daily lives in an honest way. One of the first things I noticed here is how every other car doesn't have political bumper stickers all over it. I also get the feeling people aren't all fired up and polarized when it comes to politics here which is nice; if they do they don't show it or feel compelled to talk about it. People here also aren't obsessed with showing off their lifestyle whatever that may be; back in CO everyone tries to show off how they're into rock climbing or skiing or shooting guns or whatever by how they dress, vehicle they drive, stickers on their car etc. which just makes them seem like they're fake and have no real life. I also appreciate how it's more normal here for people to get married and have children of all things. All the guys I work with are 30-40 years old (including my boss) and are married or soon-to-be married, at least half of them have kids already. Having children in CO is apparently a big deal now I imagine because it's so damn expensive and from my observations, most people don't know how to parent anymore (kids are spoiled brats). Keep in mind these opinions about CO relate mostly to the more populated and urban areas on the Front Range along with touristy mountain towns, It's probably different in smaller towns out east or on the Western Slope.

I'm sure there's more I could talk about but that's all I can think of for now. Overall impressions after living here about 2 months are very positive.

Last edited:
I meant to update everyone but got busy with the move to Georgia and new job. I'm finally settled down for the most part and got a house just south of Augusta in the little town of Hephzibah. Overall I'm very happy with the change. There isn't really much I miss from CO aside from my friends and some mountains-related stuff like skiing and scenery. Cost of living here is much lower. Government isn't going crazy with regulations and taxes on everything like CO is. Crime is lower, don't feel the need to lock up all my stuff all the time and there are far less homeless people here. Food is much better, it's tougher to find healthy options when going out but the quality and flavor is just so much better and obviously the price is much lower.

The change in culture is welcome. Outside of the downtown and fancier suburban areas people are more "normal" and just go about their daily lives in an honest way. One of the first things I noticed here is how every other car doesn't have political bumper stickers all over it. I also get the feeling people aren't all fired up and polarized when it comes to politics here which is nice; if they do they don't show it or feel compelled to talk about it. People here also aren't obsessed with showing off their lifestyle whatever that may be; back in CO everyone tries to show off how they're into rock climbing or skiing or shooting guns or whatever by how they dress, vehicle they drive, stickers on their car etc. which just makes them seem like they're fake and have no real life. I also appreciate how it's more normal here for people to get married and have children of all things. All the guys I work with are 30-40 years old (including my boss) and are married or soon-to-be married, at least half of them have kids already. Having children in CO is apparently a big deal now I imagine because it's so damn expensive and from my observations, most people don't know how to parent anymore (kids are spoiled brats). Keep in mind these opinions about CO relate mostly to the more populated and urban areas on the Front Range along with touristy mountain towns, It's probably different in smaller towns out east or on the Western Slope.

I'm sure there's more I could talk about but that's all I can think of for now. Overall impressions after living here about 2 months are very positive.
If you get to missing the mountains too much, just drive a couple hours north. lol

Food is much better, it's tougher to find healthy options when going out but the quality and flavor is just so much better and obviously the price is much lower.

That's an astute observation. Yeah, southern food is tasty, but the tasty stuff is never good for you. Why is that??? Doesn't seem fair.

Glad it's going well for you so far. We have a Summit Racing store in McDonough if you ever get down 75. And Year One is up around Braselton.

After getting hypothermia I have a very low tolerance to anything below 75 degrees. I'm uncomfortable hear in S. Texas during our super mild winters. My fingernails turn blue at 60 degrees from lack of blood flow. If there was a Pantex facility here I would have gladly worked there.
Yep stay clear of Amarillo!

That's an astute observation. Yeah, southern food is tasty, but the tasty stuff is never good for you. Why is that??? Doesn't seem fair.

Glad it's going well for you so far. We have a Summit Racing store in McDonough if you ever get down 75. And Year One is up around Braselton.

I mean we have some delicious spots in the area for Asian fusion, Mediterranean, Korean, Indian etc which is all healthy but it's more expensive. The real kicker is healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy, we're pretty much the only country in the world where it's like that unfortunately. Anyway there are plenty of supermarkets and grocery stores around to get affordable fresh ingredients, I need to cook for myself more.

I was happy to find out there's a Summit store in McDonough, I haven't been there in person yet though. I did place a few orders recently but they all came from other states oddly enough, I guess their warehouse isn't very big? Or it's just full of Chevy stuff lmao.

If you get to missing the mountains too much, just drive a couple hours north. lol

True but the Appalachians are like rolling hills compared to the Rockies lol. Still good hiking, I did a trail outside of Charlotte which was pretty nice and steeper than I expected for the area. Probably good off-roading too if I ever get another old Jeep. If I get to missing skiing too much I'll probably fly out to Wyoming and hit one of their ski resorts (Jackson Hole), Colorado skiing is a ripoff these days with the lodging prices and crowds.

I mean we have some delicious spots in the area for Asian fusion, Mediterranean, Korean, Indian etc which is all healthy but it's more expensive. The real kicker is healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy, we're pretty much the only country in the world where it's like that unfortunately. Anyway there are plenty of supermarkets and grocery stores around to get affordable fresh ingredients, I need to cook for myself more.

I was happy to find out there's a Summit store in McDonough, I haven't been there in person yet though. I did place a few orders recently but they all came from other states oddly enough, I guess their warehouse isn't very big? Or it's just full of Chevy stuff lmao.

True but the Appalachians are like rolling hills compared to the Rockies lol. Still good hiking, I did a trail outside of Charlotte which was pretty nice and steeper than I expected for the area. Probably good off-roading too if I ever get another old Jeep. If I get to missing skiing too much I'll probably fly out to Wyoming and hit one of their ski resorts (Jackson Hole), Colorado skiing is a ripoff these days with the lodging prices and crowds.
I always get a kick from the East Coast Folks who think they have Mountains where they live..... :lol::lol:

Mount_Rainier_from_west.jpg

Yeah but have you ever seen them? Arguably some of the most beautiful.

Glad you lke my old home state of Ga. You know you will have "arrived" when you develop a taste for boiled peanuts, cheezy grits, and non taxed alcohol! Do you hear banjos at late nite????

Did you find all that ethnic and cultural diversity you were wanting? Khalid

Lol, actually surprisingly yes I did. Statistically Augusta is 54% black and it's pretty apparent, I need to go around and introduce myself but I've noticed all of my next-door neighbors are black which is a refreshing change. Not that it makes any real difference overall, people are people anyway you have good and bad in any race or ethnicity it just makes things interesting. Also the mosque in Augusta is wayyy bigger than I expected for a not-so-large city in the south, apparently established in 1975 and supposedly not the only one in the area either.

Glad you lke my old home state of Ga. You know you will have "arrived" when you develop a taste for boiled peanuts, cheezy grits, and non taxed alcohol! Do you hear banjos at late nite????

I already loved cheese grits before I moved out here lol, got a bit into smoking meats (brisket/chuck roasts, chicken, turkey) and needed an "authentic" side dish. Reminds me I need to go buy my own pellet grill/smoker I'm jonesing for homemade brisket. Boiled peanuts are pretty tasty too, I don't drink though I'll take your word on the alcohol lol :thumbsup:

I don't hear banjos around these parts at night but this past weekend during the afternoon I did hear gunshots, not like a crime scene lol but like a nearby shooting range or people plinking in their back yards. I got my handguns out here but still need to get my CETME rifle and shotgun from CO and hit the range.

-
Back