Considering relocating to Texas

-
There are people that would fall down laughing at what I live on, especially when I was back in Missouri. If I had not have wood it would have been a quick death.

I for one don't find humor in how much people make or don't make. As long as you're living a happy, full life and can afford the things you need it doesn't matter to me what your income is.

What makes me sad is at the beginning of the year when I first moved into my place I was ending each month with $300-500 extra or more to put into savings and fun stuff (car parts). Once the inflation and gas prices hit that all went away. Also a red flag for me, talking to our marketing guy who interacts with my boss all day long, apparently my boss doesn't realize or is in denial that my pay is only 2/3rds or less of the median pay for someone in my position with my credentials. The company currently doesn't have enough money to pay us more but he's clearly not making substantial salary increases a high enough priority, he's focused on spending that money on our R&D and getting the company set up to start pilot production. The younger engineers are doing fine because they're fresh out of college and are fine sharing a place with 2-3 other dudes and don't really have any money-consuming hobbies or interests besides going out drinking on the weekends with their buds, also don't have to pay all of their own bills like health and auto insurance and can share utilities with their roommates.

On the note of the junior engineers, I've also come to the conclusion over the last month or so that they shouldn't have much of a hard time picking up the slack when I leave. They're super smart and capable and fast learners so I don't feel like my absence will cause any major issues, which was a concern I did have before.

I'd have a hard time believing there aren't a plethora of available better paying engineering jobs in your area. Maybe take another job in the meantime until you figure out the move?

I for one don't find humor in how much people make or don't make. As long as you're living a happy, full life and can afford the things you need it doesn't matter to me what your income is.

What makes me sad is at the beginning of the year when I first moved into my place I was ending each month with $300-500 extra or more to put into savings and fun stuff (car parts). Once the inflation and gas prices hit that all went away. Also a red flag for me, talking to our marketing guy who interacts with my boss all day long, apparently my boss doesn't realize or is in denial that my pay is only 2/3rds or less of the median pay for someone in my position with my credentials. The company currently doesn't have enough money to pay us more but he's clearly not making substantial salary increases a high enough priority, he's focused on spending that money on our R&D and getting the company set up to start pilot production. The younger engineers are doing fine because they're fresh out of college and are fine sharing a place with 2-3 other dudes and don't really have any money-consuming hobbies or interests besides going out drinking on the weekends with their buds, also don't have to pay all of their own bills like health and auto insurance and can share utilities with their roommates.

On the note of the junior engineers, I've also come to the conclusion over the last month or so that they shouldn't have much of a hard time picking up the slack when I leave. They're super smart and capable and fast learners so I don't feel like my absence will cause any major issues, which was a concern I did have before.
Have you thought about applying for a government engineering job in Texas....there are many??

I'd have a hard time believing there aren't a plethora of available better paying engineering jobs in your area. Maybe take another job in the meantime until you figure out the move?
Or work two jobs/ weekends/nights like I did for over the first 40 years
Owing a home, paying it off, money in the bank, living debt free should be the first and foremost priority
Hobby's come a distant second

There are some but I'd be locked into staying here another year because of the lease on my house. Can't do month-to-month, yearly contract only. Talking to my dad about it he recommends just making the jump and relocating which he's done multiple times to get a better job. He's willing to help with expenses and I'm making sure to apply for jobs that have relocation assistance, if I can. And as whiny as it probably sounds... 6 years single and alone is taking its toll I'm not trying to go yet another year like this.

Have you thought about applying for a government engineering job in Texas....there are many??

Yes actually one of the jobs I have saved on Indeed.com is with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, will likely apply for that one.

Or work two jobs/ weekends/nights like I did for over the first 40 years
Owing a home, paying it off, money in the bank, living debt free should be the first and foremost priority
Hobby's come a distant second

I guess I'm weak in this sense but I already feel burnt-out at the end of the work week, the absolute last thing I want to do is go to work at another job. I also have a hard time functioning if I can't get out and do something fun once every week or two. I have friends who work multiple jobs and I have massive respect for them but I can't see myself doing that and being a good employee at either job. Might be different if I had someone to come home to besides my cat who could also help out with some of the small responsibilities but, I don't.

I've got my resume mostly sorted out, hopefully this evening I'll send out my first application to Bell-Textron in Fort Worth (they're a military contractor btw).

And as whiny as it probably sounds... 6 years single and alone is taking its toll I'm not trying to go yet another year like this.

Not sure what being singly has to do with it. Some of the best times of my life were when I was single. Enjoy it while you can.

Not sure what being singly has to do with it. Some of the best times of my life were when I was single. Enjoy it while you can.

Ok but did you have money to spend on fun things when you were single? I'm trying to find ways to enjoy myself without having money but I'm at a loss. And were you completely single as in not interacting or being intimate with any women for years at a time? Clearly I need money to get into a relationship anyway so...

Mom said years ago, "son, its not that your salary is too low, but our expectations in life are too high>"

True words but is wanting to own a home and start a family really too high of expectations?

Skiing brings me great happiness but too expensive. Working on my duster or truck makes me happy but I can't afford parts. Spending time at the rifle range is relaxing but I gotta spend money on ammo. Going out in nature on a hike is nice but in the way that lifting weights at the gym is nice, not fun but I feel healthy. Any recommendations? What do gearheads do for fun that doesn't cost money?

Ok but did you have money to spend on fun things when you were single? I'm trying to find ways to enjoy myself without having money but I'm at a loss. And were you completely single as in not interacting or being intimate with any women for years at a time? Clearly I need money to get into a relationship anyway so...

Gotcha. I guess our definition of being single is different. When I was single, I was never 'alone.'

Gotcha. I guess our definition of being single is different. When I was single, I was never 'alone.'

Yup I've been single AND alone (aside from my mom and younger brother but you know, not the same) this whole time. I met a girl (who is like borderline attractive to me) online who I intend to meet up with this weekend but she's been very clear she "only wants to be friends". Whatever, we'll see. Better than being totally alone I suppose.

Sorry for complaining about my personal problems here but my family isn't much help (although they definitely try) and my therapist told me "you clearly won't find happiness in the same ways as people around you."

Different strokes for different folks.
I have always said, there is a right person for everyone, but you have to find each other. Just be careful of stupid mistakes along the way!
There needs to be a "glue" to hold a couple together, sharing an interest or passion in life helps.

Talking to my dad about it he recommends just making the jump and relocating which he's done multiple times to get a better job. He's willing to help with expenses and I'm making sure to apply for jobs that have relocation assistance, if I can.

Your dad is a wise man.
You state he relocated many times to get better jobs
He had to be more focused on his future and providing for the family

I guess I'm weak in this sense but I already feel burnt-out at the end of the work week, the absolute last thing I want to do is go to work at another job. I also have a hard time functioning if I can't get out and do something fun once every week or two. I have friends who work multiple jobs and I have massive respect for them but I can't see myself doing that and being a good employee at either job. Might be different if I had someone to come home to besides my cat who could also help out with some of the small responsibilities but, I don't.
Im not saying working 16 hours a day seven days a week at your point in life.
What I try and get across is more in the way of financial freedom and to get there either by continuing education, another job or whatever it takes
For example, I was a millwright/ welder in power generation, mainly I did pipe work fabrication
I was certified and took many pipe welding tests. I took my job very serious as there was a lot at stake and I had a excellent reputation, I became the go to guy to get a job done
At some point I found out some other welders in another department got the company to send them for the test given by the city for the class 1 NYC welding licence
It was at the time a hard test. I asked my supervisors if could take it and they agreed
I practiced every chance I got for this test, sometimes on company time when we were slow or I finished a job or I stayed after work. This went on almost every day for something like 6 mo before I even filed for the test
So i passed both parts of the test, passed the investigation and got my license and BTW I paid 400 dollars myself the fee for the test, which in the early eighties was a lot of money
So what good did it do me as I really didnt need the license?
Well years later when the plant was sold I left and got another excellent job because I had that license
Im only telling you this because at your age you have the world by the balls, you just don't know it yet
The sky is the limit and the sacrifices you make now will reap benefits later on
Find a nice girl and marry well .....Good luck

Clearly I need money to get into a relationship anyway so...

If you think that, you aren't hanging with the right women. Chicks that want you for money are the wrong ones to deal with.

6K a month and scraping by? Not sure what your budget is but I'd take a hard look at that.

Good luck and hope you find a place that makes you happy. Young and single, if you don't like the area or new job, find another. No ball & chain, kids, any of the BS that goes with being able to up and go somewhere new. Perspective my friend!

If you think that, you aren't hanging with the right women. Chicks that want you for money are the wrong ones to deal with.
Amen to that!!! Truer words were never spoken
Find a woman with her own money, one who doesnt need yours
One who has a good job, knows what she wants in life and has her head screwed on straight
You'll be a happy camper

Thanks guys, feeling better now just having one of those days I guess.

6K a month and scraping by? Not sure what your budget is but I'd take a hard look at that.

Good luck and hope you find a place that makes you happy. Young and single, if you don't like the area or new job, find another. No ball & chain, kids, any of the BS that goes with being able to up and go somewhere new. Perspective my friend!

Of course, I meant that more like it's not a good idea to try to bring someone else into my life without being able to take care of myself first.

It's more like $3500 a month after taxes, 60k I mentioned is gross pay. 1500 for rent, 750 for bills, 6-700 for food, a few hundred for gas, and extra less-regular expenses like a dentist bill, car repairs/maintenance, lawn care supplies, parking ticket, pet supplies etc it adds up fast.

^^^^You sure eat a lot for just one guy!:poke: JUST kidding! But really?

Food has always been expensive around here and after inflation it's tricky to find a meal for less than $12 and I'm big on healthy unprocessed foods which in this country are sadly a lot more expensive than processed garbage. I usually eat a healthy cold cereal for breakfast and my lunch is often almost the same size as my dinner. No frozen stuff or fast food, can't remember the last time I had McD's or Taco Bell I ain't putting that in my body. I could stand to cook more for myself at home but crunching the numbers unless I make a huge meal worth 5+ servings it's not much cheaper than getting take-out at $12-15 a meal. I go to my parents' for dinner 2-3 times a week which is "free" but it's a 25-minute drive each way so I end up spending the money on gas instead. Also I'm a skinny guy who lifts weights 2-3 times a week so my calorie intake is pretty high. If anyone has suggestions for cheap easy-to-make healthy meals at home I'm all ears.

Food has always been expensive around here and after inflation it's tricky to find a meal for less than $12 and I'm big on healthy unprocessed foods which in this country are sadly a lot more expensive than processed garbage. I usually eat a healthy cold cereal for breakfast and my lunch is often almost the same size as my dinner. No frozen stuff or fast food, can't remember the last time I had McD's or Taco Bell I ain't putting that in my body. I could stand to cook more for myself at home but crunching the numbers unless I make a huge meal worth 5+ servings it's not much cheaper than getting take-out at $12-15 a meal. I go to my parents' for dinner 2-3 times a week which is "free" but it's a 25-minute drive each way so I end up spending the money on gas instead. Also I'm a skinny guy who lifts weights 2-3 times a week so my calorie intake is pretty high. If anyone has suggestions for cheap easy-to-make healthy meals at home I'm all ears.
Cooking for one person can be a real PIA
Quick easy healthy meals, id suggest internet
I get a lot of easy recipes on line that work for us
Quick story. When my cousin who lives in the Denver area visits she always comments on how much more inexpensive the food is here as compared to were she lives
It comes down to competition often and if you follow the circulars for stores you can save a bundle
When we are in midtown it seems you cant walk two blocks without coming upon a sidewalk fruit and vegetable stand

Good thing my wife can cook and I can ALSO!
We do have a garden.
If our meals that we cook cost us old folk, $12-15 per meal, we would have to shoot each other and be done.

food costs are unreal as everyone knows. we go to ruler(kroger) and spend about 80.00 for what used to cost us 40-45. then go to walmart and spend about 180-200 for what used to cost us about 95-100 every 3 weeks.

food costs are unreal as everyone knows. we go to ruler(kroger) and spend about 80.00 for what used to cost us 40-45. then go to walmart and spend about 180-200 for what used to cost us about 95-100 every 3 weeks.

That's what put me in my current predicament. Food and gas prices doubled, that's an extra $500-600 a month now I have to deal with.

Looks like that's another benefit of living in Texas, cheap food and raw ingredients. We have farmer's markets here but you don't end up saving much money vs supermarkets.

I have lived alone a few times in the last few years even though I have been married for 19 years. My work sometimes leads me to "details" on other forests and I get a barracks room or an apartment.
We have a very large garden and I really enjoy home cookin' more than anything so I had to learn and I found that it is much much cheaper than eating out. My go to is to buy a whole chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, and other vegetables that are tasty when cooked in chicken broth. I cook the chicken in the oven with all the cut vegetables in broth nestled around the bird. I cover with tin foil and bake it. I can get a couple 3 or 4 nights out of it.
Another cheap and healthy chicken meal is to buy one of those cheap rotisserie chickens that are always too overcooked and fall off the bone. De-bone the chicken an mix with mayonnaise, whole cranberries, and celery or apple chunks. I like to make a Walnut Chicken Salad Sandwich with cranberry sauce spread on a sour dough bread. I got that inspiration from a discontinued Arby's sandwich. You can get almost a whole week of lunch sandwiches out of a rotisserie chicken.
You can really save money if you don't mind eating the same thing night after night. That's how our ancestors did. They didn't have 130 different restaurants and Uber Eats. We try to live like that. We will go out to eat, maybe, once a 2 week pay period. We pickle a lot of our food and eat alot of eggs from our chickens. We grow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, kale, okra, kale, ....
If you're looking for a good woman get yourself into gardening and hit up the farmers market. It will provide some income and attract women who eat healthy and ar into guys that prove they can provide.

Or get a backup diesel generator lol... might look into that hearing about all these electric grid issues out there. Too bad it's not dry like Colorado, swamp coolers work wonders here in the summertime and use a lot less energy to run, just a fan to blow air through the membrane and a small pump to keep the water circulating. The complex I work in currently actually uses central evaporative cooling as opposed to A/C.
Water chiller systems. We have em here in Tampa fer large Commercial buildings. Some of em

Thanks guys, feeling better now just having one of those days I guess.

Of course, I meant that more like it's not a good idea to try to bring someone else into my life without being able to take care of myself first.

It's more like $3500 a month after taxes, 60k I mentioned is gross pay. 1500 for rent, 750 for bills, 6-700 for food, a few hundred for gas, and extra less-regular expenses like a dentist bill, car repairs/maintenance, lawn care supplies, parking ticket, pet supplies etc it adds up fast.
Lose the Therapist. There is some extra cash right there..

OP go read post #122 again by go-fish, he is spot on.
IF you are one of those guys that can;t eat left overs, your mom should have just knocked you in the head s a child!!
Slow cooking crock pot is your friend, you should be able to eat all week off a pork or beef roast,with veggies, some decent bread, some fruit, green salad with cheese a little meat mixed in, etc.
You are an educated man, turn on your brain and use it.:thumbsup:

-
Back