? Converter

-

whitey

Reaction score
OK, I've gotten alot of advice on converters, from manufacturer to stall speed. TCI to Dynamic, and from 2K stall all the way up to 3500 stall. I called Dynamic and talked to Shaun, and I almost fell over, $700 for a converter and that was a winter price. He also recommended the 9.5" 3500 stall, that is the smallest and highest stall I have been recommended.

OK here's my combo:
73 Dodge Dart (roughly 3250 lbs.)
360, internal balance, 10:1 cr
magnum heads, stock valves.
.429/.444 flat tappet cam
Air Gap intake / Holley 670 St Avenger carb
727 trans, w/ TF2 kit
8.75 rear w/ 3.73 Sure Grip & 25" Dia tires
NO RACING, this is STREET use.

What stall would I need 2200, 2600?
Has anybody tried a TCI Street fighter? a Mancini's Converters? or one from Chris?

I'm sorry, $700? It should be like $600 for a 727. I paid $650 for my 9 1/2" Dynamic (its more for a 904 than a 727). I daily drove it witha 3500rpm footbrake and a 3900rpm flash with no ill effects, drove just like my old 2500 stall under casual driving and opened up when i nailed it. Awesome converter, i'd buy another one.

What converter you needs depends on what you want. You stay NO RACING, yet you have a decent build with 3.73s which sounds like you like to go and not just cruise/putt around. If you like to 'get in it' quite often, but just not 'race' it at the track. Money is well spent on a converter..

Shaun might have been mistaken. It would not be the first time (IMO) that he spec'd a more racey convertor for a street car. You have decent gearing (especially with the small tires) and a decent engine. I would think a 9.5" tight with 2200 brake and 2800 flash stall. But...I've had to be VERY specific with him before...lol. If you read about "10 inch" convertors, most use a GM 9.5inch diameter convertor core. So you will see both 9 1/2 and 10 inch units. The MP ones from Manicini are not bad parts either. They would be a good convertor for street cruising. If you street race, that's another story.

I think a 10" 3000 rpm is more than enough for you car. As you have it speced out. I spent about $400 with turbo action for this application as was very happy with it...

Turbo Action "tight" 10" would be my choice for that combo.

Love the PTC 9.5" 2800, 3500 flash I got from Chris at Andrews. Might be a little much for your combination, but PTC made me fill out a very specific sheet before they would recommend a converter.

Hey Goody,
In your reply you said about my gears. I went with the 3.73 from Randys because I have a 741 center and they only carried 2 sets of gears for that, 3.55's and 3.73's and the 3.55's were on a 6 month back order. But I went with a tire one step up to drop my rpm down like I would have the 3.55's.

I have no doubt they are worth the money, just more than I expected. Shaun told me about a 9-1/2, 3500 flash.

TCI told me their Sat Night Special w/2k stall would work. Chris gave me an 11" 2600 stall recommendation.

UUUUUUUHHHHHH which one?

I have been kicked in the *** with a cheap convertor before, so I had no problem give frank & shaun $650 for my 9.5, 3800 stall a month ago.

Found an article in 'Hemmings Muscle Machines', Feb 2006 issue, pg. 104, in a Q&A with Greg Ducato from Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, Texas. He mentions for a non-lockup equipped street only car, he preferrs to run the least amount of stall speed and the largest diameter converter. This was due because a small diameter on the street generates a lot of heat. The benefits of a higher stall are usually compromises traction and street suspension.
That seems to match what Chris recommended, 11" w/ 2600 stall.
everyone I called recommended an 11" converter, except for Shaun, but I get different stalls. and Shaun recommended 3500 flash. I told him I wasn't racing. I just can't swallow $700 for a converter right now!

convertors can make or break a combo and you really get what you pay for.... it seems that the 9.5" convertors are the way to go anymore. i have a 9.5 dynamics in my dart and love it.... i know sean wants to know your entire combo and the wieght of your car alovg with an honest intended usage... they use that info to tweek one to your needs.. i know my 9.5 isn't the same as goody's 9.5 or djvcudas 9.5. yes they are all from the same place but all three of us have different combos. the new 9.5 convetors don't generate tons of heat like the older high stahl convertors because they are designed to lock up better at cruising speed on the street instead of constantly slipping... mine will flash to about 3800, on the foot brake i can get it over 3000 rpm, and on the street it cruises like a stock convertor... i run a simple trans cooler. i don't even run it through the rad. just a cooler hung in front of the rad and have had no issues at all with it....

ok long story...

my 66 cuda with 3.23's and a tunnel ram - first i installed a mopar 175k converter.... i was happy with it the first year... it got 14 mpg's and ran a 12.80 @ 108 at the track in the best conditions. it also ran a 1.93 60' time
i was cruising at 2100 at 45 mph - remember that

mostly street car, took it to the track occaisionally.

BUT - when i wen to the synamic converter, after talking to sean, and describing exactly what i wanted and had, he built me a 9.5 that is at 3800 stall.

I now get 16 mpg's _ HOW DOES THAT HAPPED IF the converter that is smaller is more prone to heat, and inefficency??? - easy - its more effieicent then my old mopar converter. any day of the week.

i now get 1.86 60' times... same car same setup, different converter.
I now also run 2100 rpm at 55 mph.... BIG DIFFERENCE.

it woke my car up BIG TIME... a 2500 flash to 3800 flash especially with a tunnel ram amde a HUGE diffeence... like night and day, i can mash it at 35 and brake tires loose... with 3.23's.. and a mild small block!!!

i hope you make a good chioce... i called a few places when i was unhappy with my cheap-o mopar converter.... and ATI told me i couldent run a hi stall converter with 3.23's... sean told me he could, and he has delivered... i got about a year on the converter now, and about 5000 miles.. with no problems... except traction when i nail it!

and with 3.23's and normal driving, you cant even tell its not a granny car... except for the tunnel ram sticking thru the hood!

3500 stall...thats way too much converter for a 429/444 cam which is basically a stock 340 cam,give this guy a call he'll tell you exactely what you need and we'll probably be less expensive then others mentioned here.i've yet to hear anyone complain about him either,and that includes me he recommended a converter built it for me and it does exactely what he said it would do...WWW.ULTIMATECONVERTER.COM...

340s, I just heard about Lenny recently. I was familiar with his work about 6 years ago when he worked for a place that is literally 1 mile from my house. He left ther quick. (the place was never really good IMO) Ultimate is less than an hour from me now, and after speaking with him, I plan to drop by and see the palce. I need a convertor for my truck (towing), and I'm sure he will build a convertor for either me or my customers soon. Some good things on their website too.

In the 2 dynamic cases last year, both are "tight" 3500 stall. But they were too spongy for street duty. Dynamics are good peices, and worth the $$ they get. But you really want to make sure they understand what and how before you get it.

You can have good and bad in any part, even TCI. I talked to 2 people who use TCI and love them. Guess I'll just wait until closer to being on the street, I wanted to paint in spring and drop the engine and trans in then start re assembling.

Shaun only asked my what engine, what trans, gear ratio, and what carb. That's it, I filled out TCI's form which had a lot of questions. I emailed Chris the same info and he gave me the same answer: 11" 2600 stall.

-
Back