converting to bbp 11x2 drums

-

buckshotbishop

Old Soul
Reaction score
i have a pair of 8 3/4 11x2in rear drums from a c-body (i think). im looking for new axles to convert to bbp. i saw moser makes axles for a-bodies with b/f-body brakes. whats special about the axles and would my brakes cause any issues with them?

no difference between the axles, breaks or both? id go with strange if the special moser axles dont mater, because strange seems more street oriented then moser.

Brakes are the same but axles are different lengths between a b c and f bodies. Moser is good and so are strange but dr diff is cheaper and just as good

Brakes are the same but axles are different lengths between a b c and f bodies. Moser is good and so are strange but dr diff is cheaper and just as good

i got that the axles are different length between body types but why are moser's a-body with b-body brakes 7/16 longer then there standard a-body axles? it doesn't make sense to me. i'll check out dr diff.

i got that the axles are different length between body types but why are moser's a-body with b-body brakes 7/16 longer then there standard a-body axles? it doesn't make sense to me. i'll check out dr diff.

Yes using big car brakes moser sells a different then if redrilling your small bolt drums.

I have always used moser axles and have never had any issues.

Watch out for Yukon axles. Everyone I know that have used them had issues because they were too long.

Yes using big car brakes moser sells a different then if redrilling your small bolt drums.

I have always used moser axles and have never had any issues.

Watch out for Yukon axles. Everyone I know that have used them had issues because they were too long.

ya i was going to avoid yukon. did you go with the redrilled or b-body brake axles?

I've always used 11" brakes from cbody car bbody brakes would be the same.

Call moser. They will walk ya through it while ordering.

A-body axles use a totally different spacing from the axle flange to the brake backing plate. I'm talking 8 3/4 rears B,C,Vans, Trucks all use the same spacing. When you order axles which I assume you are going to BBP? They will have the right spacing to use your C-body brake plates.

A-body axles use a totally different spacing from the axle flange to the brake backing plate. I'm talking 8 3/4 rears B,C,Vans, Trucks all use the same spacing. When you order axles which I assume you are going to BBP? They will have the right spacing to use your C-body brake plates.

so is that why there is a difference between the moser axles?

so is that why there is a difference between the moser axles?

Yes. SBP A body axles use a different offset than everything else out there, so only SBP backing plates and brakes work with SBP A body axles.

So, there are two ways to change over to BBP. One is to re-use your SBP, A-body brakes with re-drilled drums. If you do this, your axles need to have the stock SBP A-body offset regardless of the new bolt pattern.

The other way is to change over to the BBP brakes used on everything else (10x2.5, 11x2, 11x2.5, 11x3). Stock BBP axles all had the same offset, so those brakes are all interchangeable with the same set of axles.

I do all of my business with Dr. Diff, Cass is awesome. :thumbup: But, regardless of where you get your axles, the important part is to tell them what brakes you're planning on running, because that will dictate which offset your axles have.

I think its easier just to use the BBP brakes, no redrilling needed, and no issues finding drums or brake parts, the 10x2.5" variety came on pretty much EVERYTHING up until around 1991. Drums for the SBP brakes (10x1.75") are getting harder to come by, and of course every time you need new drums you'll have to have them drilled for the larger pattern.

The 11x2" brakes you already have use the BBP axle offset, so no worries there. But 11x2" drums and hardware are a little harder to come by than 10x2.5 or even 11x2.5" stuff. Still easier to find than the SBP parts though, and if you already have them you might as well use them. Just let your axle provider know that you're going to use C body or BBP brakes and that you're NOT going to use redrilled A body brakes.

72bluNblu;1969832076 I think its easier just to use the BBP brakes said:
No to try to pirate the thread, but maybe someone here can tell me the information I need to know.

I have a 1967 B-Body 3/4" rear end complete, under our '64 Valiant.

We have large bolt pattern wheels with a custom offset that have a backspacing that works okay. No problem with wheels.

I want to put some 11"-brakes on it that have the 3"-wide shoes.

I don't know what vehicles had those big brakes,

I would imagine that if I swap to the 3" setup, I will need the backing plates and eveything else, outboard of them.

Do I look for these parts on a van, pickup, or C-bpdy car?

Any information will be appreciated!:glasses7:

No to try to pirate the thread, but maybe someone here can tell me the information I need to know.

We have large bolt pattern wheels with a custom offset that have a backspacing that works okay. No problem with wheels.

I would imagine that if I swap to the 3" setup, I will need the backing plates and eveything else, outboard of them.

11x2.5 were a very common rear brake size on alot of c-bodies. The 11x3 were front brake size on these cars. They may have had some on the rear that size but I'm not sure which car to look for to get them off of.

I converted to 11 x 2 brakes from a d-100 truck and got my axles from Moser. They are longer due to the brake offset, approx. 3/4" longer. I told Moser exactly what brakes I was using and they sent the correct axles

according to some random email i found posted online the 11x3 could be found in police cars, but they dont say what years. only that the 11x3's were replaced with factory disks with in a year or too of being available.

I used a C-body rear end and 11- 2-1/2" brakes. Moser cut the housing
down and made the axles for it set up for green bearings.

I just told them it was going into an A-body 1967 Barracuda
and they took care of everything.

Attachments

• 39 (Medium).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 444
  • cuda04 (Medium).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 433
  • cuda06 (Medium).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 415
  • cuda10 (Medium).jpg
    108 KB · Views: 500

The 11x3 rear drums were on some of the police cars or C-bodies with braking options. I've only ever seen a set on ePay, never in a yard. They are out there, but they're hard to find.

If you did find a set, you'd need everything- backing plates and all, because the offset on the backing plates is different than the 11x2.5" or 11x2" brakes (because the offset on the axles is the same!).

11x2.5" brakes are MUCH easier to come by, and MUCH easier to find parts for. IMO you'd be better off getting a set of 11x2.5's and just getting a better shoe compound if you're concerned about stoping power.

***UPDATE***
I did a little searching, and according to RockAuto anyway the 11x3" rears came on these...

CHRYSLER 300 (1967 - 1969)
CHRYSLER IMPERIAL (1966 - 1973)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER (1967 - 1969)
CHRYSLER NEWPORT (1967 - 1969)
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY (1967 - 1969)
DODGE MONACO (1967 - 1969)
DODGE POLARA (1967 - 1969)
PLYMOUTH FURY (1967 - 1969)

BUT- I can only find shoes, no drums. Bendix Part #RS336 for the shoes. I didn't look for a long time, but I'm going to go with my initial assumption- parts will be a lot harder to find for the 11x3" drums.

[QUOTE=72bluNblu;1969832645
11x2.5" brakes are MUCH easier to come by, and MUCH easier to find parts for. IMO you'd be better off getting a set of 11x2.5's and just getting a better shoe compound if you're concerned about stoping power.

Thanks to everyone who responded!
I am going to take the above advice and forget about the 11 X 3" brakes.

Its not stopping power I am looking for; it's holding power at stall. I have a turbocharged car with a 904 and I really need to be able to stall it to a high rpm (relatively) so as to build boost and I don't want to drive through the brakes.

Again, many thanks for al the good information!!!

I used a C-body rear end and 11- 2-1/2" brakes. Moser cut the housing
down and made the axles for it set up for green bearings.

I just told them it was going into an A-body 1967 Barracuda
and they took care of everything.

What was the total price for Moser to set up your C-Body rear for A-body? Shipping+parts and labor= ?

-
Back