Coolant Recovery on a 72 Demon 340 Questions.

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to put a coolant recovery system on my 1972 Demon 340. Now I'm being told by a few local guys that since it didn't come with one that it might be a lot more than just bolting it in to make it work, Can anyone give me guidence on how to do this?

Thanks in advance
Tom

I used one from a 74 Dart before on my 69 Dart. Long time ago so I don't have pics.
1669745227466.png

There's some decent Universal ones for sale too.

All you need to make them work properly is a coolant recovery cap, which has a "better" gasket on the top ridge.

correct cap and a vented bottle with 2 pipes short pipe (short stub under bottle cap) to vent and long from filler spout to bottom of bottle, to do the sucking back in

the correct cap doesn't seal all the time it vents at cap pressure sending collant to bottle rathr hen the pavement and it vents when under a certain vacuum to allow bottle content suck back into radiator.

can't remeber proper name for the system but mopars after 73 could be equipped with them.

different from the remote plastic preasurised header tank set up used on modern cars

correct cap and a vented bottle with 2 pipes short pipe (short stub under bottle cap) to vent and long from filler spout to bottom of bottle, to do the sucking back in
I think you have this backwards. The short pipe is the inlet to the tank and the tall one allows the container to vent if it fills up. At least that's how we hooked mine up.

maybe but two pipes

you need the long one to be under coolant when the system cools... if it isn't it just sucks air back into radiator

Hi, I'm looking to put a coolant recovery system on my 1972 Demon 340. Now I'm being told by a few local guys that since it didn't come with one that it might be a lot more than just bolting it in to make it work, Can anyone give me guidence on how to do this?

Thanks in advance
Tom

I put a new radiator from Champion in my 66 Valiant, and I got a recovery bottle from the same folks. IIRC, it was about $30 about six years ago. Easy-peasy to install.

100_1951.JPG

maybe but two pipes

you need the long one to be under coolant when the system cools... if it isn't it just sucks air back into radiator
Yes some tanks are different. Some the fitting to the rad overflow connects o "as if a drain" in the bottom of the overflow bottle.

Yeah, I didn't think about different tanks might be plumbed differently than mine. The long tube inside vents to the outside, the short tube stays covered in coolant and sucks back into the radiator.

-
Back