Cost of living

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I realize that everyone is suffering from the overwhelming cost of every day living. But one thing that I think that we all can control is the cost of fuel, I can't believe the people who say that I'm going on vacation no matter how much it costs me to go. I wonder how many people have put themselves in financial hardship over going on vacation? I realize that we all have to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but at the same time if people would cut back on their driving, making unnecessary trips the price of gas would come down, if people aren't buying it the supply that the oil companies have will go up and they will drop the price in order to get rid of their inventory.

Hogsnot

The price is artificially high and lowering demand will not change that

Hogsnot

The price is artificially high and lowering demand will not change that
Not totally true. If there's no demand for a product the price comes down. Look at what happened to the used car market. They are only charging these high gas prices as they know that people will not change their driving habits. Some of the high cost of fuel is the people's own faults as they don't / won't cut back on their driving. I heard from a very good source that said that they could charge $10 a gallon for gas and people would pay it simply because they can't slow the Americans down.

Commodities markets are not like durable goods and do not follow the curve you suggest.

OPEC will reduce production if consumption drops in order to not lose money and prices will remain within a certain bracket.

Feds and States will increase fuel taxes in order to maintain a well-established income level (CA is case-in-point)

Don't know if all commodities work like that. In 2020 we had a glut of oil from covid as people traveled less and prices dropped. We use oil like prices don't matter. Look at the size of pickups and suvs we purchase. I see these giant four door long bed pickups that are bought for family use, not commercial use. We are, and have been, our worst enemy and we look to place the blame everywhere but where it belongs.

Ever think that's what they want you to think??? ? ? "Stop driving"
And for the record, I've not stayed home because of 5 dollar per gallon.

Commodities markets are not like durable goods and do not follow the curve you suggest.

OPEC will reduce production if consumption drops in order to not lose money and prices will remain within a certain bracket.

Feds and States will increase fuel taxes in order to maintain a well-established income level (CA is case-in-point)
We don't need OPEC !!! If we produced our own oil, we would set the market. as we already did at one point.
I think I'll move along now, as there is no way to discuss inflation without getting political.
See ya

We don't need OPEC !!! If we produced our own oil, we would set the market. as we already did at one point.
I think I'll move along now, as there is no way to discuss inflation without getting political.
See ya
I could move this to N&P if you all choose and you could discuss away. It should have started there anyway.

I realize that everyone is suffering from the overwhelming cost of every day living.
No offence to Dan the man, but speak for yourself as im not suffering and neither is a lot of people
Hobby car? Money to dump into a hobby car? That aint suffering
While there is no doubt prices of just about everything have gone up the thing is if you cant make it now you weren't in great shape before this economy got hit
I see jobs available everywhere I look from entry level to experienced trades people, companies begging for workers
My old boss, his dispatcher, I still see them often, been telling me all summer up until today, they have work for all the trucks and can only put out half of them, cant find drivers
So while sure gas is averaging 3.50 a gallon here, supplies and goods prices have risen, we still have plenty of work so if money is tight do what I did for 40 plus years.......get a second job

To the point, yes. I am going on vacation! Again! Why, because in all the silliness starting back when (and we all know "when" is) I have worked non-stop and more. I can't control much it seems these days but I can go count waves. Maybe I'll eat cheese sandwiches the rest of the year but I'm going on vacation..... And am working on next years vaca....

JW

I haven't driven an old car much this year, fewest miles in over a decade, and I live 5 minutes from work, so I haven't driven much in general. I'm going to make up for it next year.

I remember hearing gas was going to be hitting $10/gal early this year and decided $8/gal would be my cut off point. Never happened, but I'll keep that number for whatever comes down the pipe in the next year. Maybe I should double that since I saved so much by not driving?

No offence to Dan the man, but speak for yourself as im not suffering and neither is a lot of people
While there is no doubt prices of just about everything have gone up the thing is if you cant make it now you weren't in great shape before this economy got hit
I see jobs available everywhere I look from entry level to experienced trades people, companies begging for workers
My old boss, his dispatcher, I still see them often, been telling me all summer up until today, they have work for all the trucks and can only put out half of them, cant find drivers
So while sure gas is averaging 3.50 a gallon here, supplies and goods prices have risen, we still have plenty of work so if money is tight do what I did for 40 plus years.......get a second job

What about everyone on fixed incomes? This affects them more than anyone. Of course, you don’t care about that. Fuel prices are detrimental to our very way of life and it’s artificially high because that’s where the king makers want it.

Fuel should be 2 bucks a gallon. But it’s not because that’s not the plan.

What about everyone on fixed incomes? This affects them more than anyone. Of course, you don’t care about that. Fuel prices are detrimental to our very way of life and it’s artificially high because that’s where the king makers want it.

Glad you brought this up. I know people that live on a fixed income, and their income did NOT keep up with inflation. While High School kids seen huge wage increases, many of the elderly on social security or small pension didn't see those same increases. I know some that their lives are absolutely effected because of the essentials have sky-rocketed. Like food, gas, tires, or just the common repairs.

Im on a fixed income, not that its your business and its not my fault you pissed your life away while I busted my ***

I wasn't speaking of myself but rather the people who have a family, mortgage, car, truck payments. Myself, I don't have a mortgage as our 15 year old home has been paid for for 11 years now. Second job would have been out of the question as I was already working 60 -70 hours a week. We have 2 late model vehicle's that are paid for. I know that all of the overtime that I worked during my 27 year career has paid off nicely. You sound like you planned ahead and that's good. But I think that there are folks who are feeling the pinch, the one's that have 2-3 kids as I said earlier. I've been known to help others people that I've never seen before and probably will never again.

Glad you brought this up. I know people that live on a fixed income, and their income did NOT keep up with inflation. While High School kids seen huge wage increases, many of the elderly on social security or small pension didn't see those same increases. I know some that their lives are absolutely effected because of the essentials have sky-rocketed. Like food, gas, tires, or just the common repairs.
I dont wonder were the Quote "elderly" would be without Social Security. As I said if this bump in the road we are experiencing is the straw that broke the camels back financially for anyone on a fixed income than that person was just making it prior to all this and to say anything to the contrary is a lie or excuse
Ive see one to many people re mortgage their property in their mid forties, taking a 30 year note, thinking reducing their monthly payments was a wise idea
Life goes by fast and now at age 60 plus they are looking at retirement but cant because they are strapped with a big note to pay off
Ive also see so many become complacent in their jobs, who did not see the writing on the wall, never looked toward the future and wound up at 50 with little retirement funding and struggled when they did finally stop working

Im on a fixed income, not that its your business and its not my fault you pissed your life away while I busted my ***
Who did you direct this comment to? I'm on a fixed income too. I held the record at work for the most overtime hours worked in a year. I also worked a complete month without a day off working 10 hour shifts, I worked 3 weeks straight 7 days a week 12 hour shifts. So I think that I can say that I too busted my *** and it's paid off nicely

I dont wonder were the Quote "elderly" would be without Social Security. As I said if this bump in the road we are experiencing is the straw that broke the camels back financially for anyone on a fixed income than that person was just making it prior to all this and to say anything to the contrary is a lie or excuse
Ive see one to many people re mortgage their property in their mid forties, taking a 30 year note, thinking reducing their monthly payments was a wise idea
Life goes by fast and now at age 60 plus they are looking at retirement but cant because they are strapped with a big note to pay off
Ive also see so many become complacent in their jobs, who did not see the writing on the wall, never looked toward the future and wound up at 50 with little retirement funding and struggled when they did finally stop working
Glad you figured it all out and it all worked out graciously for you :)

-
Back